Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:51 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

I have a really hard time watching movies based on historical events I have lived through and with actors playing those people I know. I'm sorry but Frank Langella can do an amazing job acting Nixonish but he's not the guy I saw on TV almost every night back in the day. And that other actor does not look like David Frost who was a physically bigger man back then. In fact, isn't he the same actor who played Tony Blair, the British Prime minister, in The Queen? He looks like the same guy from the movie trailers.

If I remember correctly, people didn't like David Frost in his earlier career and it had nothing to do with Nixon. Is Frost "the hero" in this movie?

Also, Frank Langella was one sexy Dracula back in the seventies. How could that same man be Nixon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:02 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Finally got around to this on the Netflix que.

The big problem for me was the plot development. The play has Frost starting out as a likable nebbish rather than the man he was. Really, does the author expect us to think that Frost didn't have a big ego or any temper? In the "making of" segment, Sheen even states that the plot couldn't have Frost coming on strong too soon because of plot development. To which I say RUBBISH. The play was flawed in this way and so was the movie. It flattened the action until the last interview to build on what was basically nothing. Ron Howard and the crew natters on about the story being a verbal boxing match between Frost and Nixon. Crimminy, I've had debates here that were stronger, and debates on usenet that make the so called boxing match in the film seem as weak as two hippos in tutus having a feather fight.

Langella did well, given his own persona. The Nixon character was overdrawn, but the story required it. However, the makeup artist that did Langella's cheek appliances during the actual debate sequences should have been relegated to applying make-up to the dachshund at the end of the film. You could see Langella's eyes and lower eyelids move and have normal moisture, but the cheeks were so obvious, dry, and stiff I thought they were straight out of a Spencer Gifts Halloween store.

All in all, it didn't live up to the hype.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I liked it quite a bit.
I enjoyed the suspense of putting the interview together, as well as Langella's portrayal of Nixon.
Not all plays-into-movies work for me, but this one did.
Loved the phone call the night before.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:06 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
A great movie. It was very slow moving in the beginning, which didn't bother me. Both actors were phenomenal, I thought. Elements of it were very, very sad...what a time that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies