Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:39 PM

520 posts, read 1,853,726 times

Advertisements

It was hilarious! I normally don't like Maher but this was great. If you are atheist/atheist-leaning agnostic you will think its hilarious. If you are religious you will be offended. He basically just points out how ridiculous religion is in general. He doesn't just beat up on Christianity either. He hits Judaism, Scientology (briefly), and Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:26 AM

307 posts, read 1,181,400 times
He toned down his usual nuances for this movie. I probably laughed every minute, it's a funny movie. If you're religious and can't handle what's being asked then your problems lie deeper than the guy asking them.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
If you really want to see a skewering of religion, watch John Safran vs. God on youtube or the Sundance Channel... he was doing what Maher is doing now a few years ago.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:28 PM

307 posts, read 1,181,400 times
I think the most important thing I'd like people to see in this movie were his closing words above all else. The rest of the movie was mostly documentary style comedy, but the closing dialog was good stuff and something the whole world should hear a few times.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
If you really want to see a skewering of religion, watch John Safran vs. God on youtube or the Sundance Channel... he was doing what Maher is doing now a few years ago.
I LOVE John Safran vs. God... I haven't seen it on lately, but what a great show!!!

We saw Maher's movie on Saturday night and it was great. I thought the ending seemed a bit melodramatic compared to the rest of the tone of the movie, but all in all, I enjoyed it. And to make things really odd, my husband's uncle was in it too! That was a surprise.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:19 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'll check it out. I loved Carlin's take on religion (also on YouTube) as I thought it was right on the money, i.e., religion is a scam run by people who want to control everyone with guilt, shame, fear and fantastical promises.

We saw Maher's movie last night at a little movie house here in COLO SPGS (COLO SPGS is aka the belly of the beast relative to fundie whackjobs like Dobson and Haggart). The movie was spot on, the scariest part for me was when he was interviewing a U.S.Senator who proved to be an idiot, that man (Mark Pryor, of ARK) should NOT be in the U.S. Senate.

One VERY enlightening segment for me was when Maher produced quotes of our founding fathers (Jefferson, Adams, Franklin) that pointed out their very dislike of religion, the dangers it harbored, and their efforts to keep religion OUT of our government.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
i like bill's sense of sarcasm humour!

Old 12-26-2008, 05:35 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Actually, I didn't think it was that funny, maybe a couple of lines. I didn't watch it for humor.

I thought the message was absolutely correct though. I wish I had the transcript of the movie (I couldn't find it online) to use as ammunition on other city data posts and in conversations with brainwashed people in general.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,274 times
I just watched Religulous and loved it!!!

It was funny, snarky, direct, and yet a little sad and even scary at times. As someone who has a strong aversion to organized religion, it's comforting to see documentaries like this out there - I want more!

Loved the Creation Museum with the animatronic dinosaurs standing next to the cave people, and when Bill disguises himself as a bum in London shouting the premise of Scientology. Good stuff!

Sure, Bill asks questions to make the faithful look foolish - but they're valid questions, and their answers are in fact foolish. And yea, the ending was a bit melodramatic, but it's not wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies