U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 05:48 PM

884 posts, read 2,730,478 times
Default Movie theater ticket prices in your area

I was reading a thread where a poster had mentioned that matinee tickets were $5.50 at a movie theater in his/her area. It got me wondering what the price of tickets are in your area.

The two theaters I go to in my area of Northern Virginia cost:

Matinee = $7.25 | Evening = $9.50 (adult, seniors) and $7.25 (child).

Matinee = $8.00 | Evening = $10.50 and $8.00 (child, seniors).

I'm someone who enjoys going to the movies, so I would be willing to pay the amount. I could probably find theaters with lower prices, but these two theaters have a fairly low concentration of youngsters and very close proximity to my home.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,715,888 times
Cinema Center in Selinsgrove PA:

Matinee: $6.00 Evening: $8.00 Children and Seniors: $6.00 (They raised prices by $.50 cents at some point recently which I had no idea until checking out their website. Stinks as Bloomsburg PA still has the $5.50/$7.50 price which we had and we are still the same cinema chain...argh!)

We do have a small theatre with only one screen but it's 25 minutes away and don't make the trip there anymore with gas prices being high and our theatre usually has what they are showing. We also have a drive in about 30 minutes away which is $7 for adults and they have three screens that show two movies a night (six different films in all). Not a bad deal as it comes out to $3.50 a movie and they have been getting quite a few new releases which surprised me as in the past we would get films that were out for about a month.

I usually go to the matinees when I want to see a film. I usually don't like the later shows as we tend to get younger audiences that talk through the films which I really hate. I don't understand why people go to the movies and have conversations the whole film with their friends......huge pet peeve as it's just really inconsiderate to everybody else watching the movie.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM

461 posts, read 910,670 times
In San Francisco Adult matinees are $8.50, regular shows are $10.50... I think it's about a dollar less for kids.

we have a lot of independent theatres that pretty much seem to make up the price depending on what they are playing. In Palo Alto the stanford theatre (plays only old movies) is $7 for adults $5 for seniors/kids they usually have double features too. The only drawbacks are that they repeat movies a lot, are closed probably 4 months out of the year to plan new schedules and they are only open Thurs-Sun.

In San Jose tickets are $7 for matinee and $10 for regular, $6.75 for kids/seniors

Old 10-07-2008, 01:47 PM

25,085 posts, read 8,084,944 times
Tickets in my area r five bucks before noon; seven fifty for adults for shows before 5 P.M. And nine fifty for all other shows. Kids are six fifty for most shows. Students with valid proof are eight fifty. The price of a movie has really gone up in my area.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks for posting folks. The prices are all over. Gosh, the San Francisco adult matinee is high!

Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Status: "Chin up things can only get better" (set 8 days ago)

9,625 posts, read 12,816,516 times
Matinee (Adult Non Peak) is $8.75, regular viewing is $10.75. Senior and kids get $1 off. And they had a police shoot out at this theater a few months ago to boot - yay me! Or I can go the The Grove's theater and pay nearly $12/person.

I rarely go to the movies - I can buy it on DVD for $5 or less eventually, and I can wait since most movies pumped out of Hollywood these days aren't worth even $5.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM

43,862 posts, read 25,306,236 times
I work for a media company. Due to us doing their advertising, we can purchase any movie tickets for any showing for $6. I read this thread just to see what movie tickets really cost. I rarely go, but get the tickets for my kids all the time.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM

485 posts, read 1,143,812 times
In major East Coast Cities it is $9.00 for daytime shows at AMC. But I get a $7.00 coupon from the Entertainment Book or buy the tickets in advance from the AAA (American Automobile Association) Office.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM

2,285 posts, read 2,978,780 times
I went to a matinee in Camp Hill a couple of weeks ago and it was $6.

Went to a nightime show in Hunt Valley, Md and it was 9

We also have a $2 theater and the films they show are not that old. Plus, the snack prices are reasonable as well.

Itshould be interesting to see how theaters make out for the rest of the year with the economy.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I went to a matinee in Camp Hill a couple of weeks ago and it was $6.

Went to a nightime show in Hunt Valley, Md and it was 9

We also have a $2 theater and the films they show are not that old. Plus, the snack prices are reasonable as well.

Itshould be interesting to see how theaters make out for the rest of the year with the economy.
Sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies