Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times

Advertisements

I watched Airplane! for the umpteenth time last night and noticed it was rated PG. There were jokes about suicide, abortion, nearly killing a child, child molestation, and snorting cocaine, along with racial jokes and plenty of sexually suggestive bits like Elaine and the inflatable auto-pilot. Would it still get a PG rating nowadays?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:58 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
It would get a PG13. Airplane came out in 1980, and the PG13 Rating came out in 1984. The kicker is that it WOULDN'T get a PG13 rating because of content as much as it would because PG13 films make more money. Filmmakers can request a stiffer rating, but generally have to make cuts and adjustments to get a lighter rating.

This fellow has a fairly good explanation of things:
The History of the PG-13 Rating | LDS Cinema Online

Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
The original Star Wars was only a G movie when it was initially released in 1977. When it was re-released in 1997 as the Special Edition, it was PG. I think PG movies can be G if the studios didn't think G was designed for babies just as most PG-13 can be in fact PG.

Airplane would likely be PG-13 if it was released in the post PG-13 world.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:16 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Today, a movie can have profanity, tons of sexual situations, extreme violence, and still get a PG-13 rating.

But if your main character smokes a cigarette, you're guaranteed an R-rating.

The MPAA makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:05 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
These movie ratings are pretty worthless and make no sense. We always lookup kids in mind or screen it to actually see what is in the movies, because the ratings do not mean much. Many R rated movies I watched were tamer then many PG-13 movies.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
These movie ratings are pretty worthless and make no sense. We always lookup kids in mind or screen it to actually see what is in the movies, because the ratings do not mean much. Many R rated movies I watched were tamer then many PG-13 movies.
^^^this^^^

I wish more people were honest; when they were younger they watched R movies all the time before they were technically old enough (and they are no worse off having done that). The truth is that if the rating system was eliminated it wouldn't affect me and my family at all. I would either know instinctually or research to find out if a movie had something grossly inappropriate for my children before they watched it.

Old 06-03-2015, 11:07 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Today, a movie can have profanity, tons of sexual situations, extreme violence, and still get a PG-13 rating.
But if your main character smokes a cigarette, you're guaranteed an R-rating.
The MPAA makes no sense whatsoever.
There are other things. More than one F bomb so Wolverine was able to bomb X-Men First Class. Drug dealers moving drugs and not just laundering money as in the Fast and Furious franchise.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:15 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
I was going to create a new thread with the same title, but this one will do.

As I am a senior, I haven't paid attention to movie ratings for years, but I was curious as to why "Arthur the King", a movie about a stray dog who joins an endurance race would be rated PG-13 because it seemed to be a heartwarming feel-good Disney-type movie that was very common in the 60's. So I looked online for an explanation and found the following:

Quote:
LANGUAGE 5
– At least 1 F-word, 23 scatological terms, 4 anatomical terms, 13 mild obscenities, name-calling (weak, selfish, crazy, stupid, delusional, this thing, stupidest), exclamations (frickin’, friggin’, oh my gosh, hey man, oh man, if she gave a whale’s hump, out of your mind), 1 religious profanity (GD), 7 religious exclamations (e.g. oh my God, God, oh God, my God, Jesus, Holy [scatological term deleted]). | profanity glossary |

SUBSTANCE USE
– A man is given IV fluids when he becomes dehydrated during a race, and a man takes pills (it’s not clear what they are) in a few scenes for knee pain. Two men drink bottles of beer, and a man says that whoever loses a race will buy him a beer. [bold added]
Source: https://kids-in-mind.com/a/arthur-th...him%20a%20beer.

Are movies ratings really so Puritanical these days? I remember PG movies of the 70's being MUCH worse than that!

However, other reviews say that it IS appropriate for all ages. (I am not listing the trailer because it gives almost the whole movie in one minute, imo, but -- of course -- it is easily available for those who are curious.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies