Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:05 AM

41,790 posts, read 74,825,163 times

Advertisements

Invaders From Mars had all the adults disappearing into sand hills. I was afraid to go to the beach for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:23 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,198,417 times
As a child I watched Dracula and well slept with the covers snuggly wrapped around my neck for the longest time.

Got over that fear went on to see Cujo. Big mistake considering the neighbor across the street had a St. Bernard dog. Didn't go out in the front yard for ages after that. Took two years before I was able to walk on their side of the street.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:17 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,332,467 times
I saw Arachnophobia and for months I was scared to take a shower for fear there was spider waiting to get me. I got over it but even now when i wash my hair I think about it

Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM

8,587 posts, read 9,078,149 times
The movie that disturbed me as a kid, who grew up in DC during the cold war and Cuban missile crisis, was "On the Beach". A Gregory Peck movie about an American Naval Sub and its crew who survived the apocalypse and found its way to the last surviving humans on earth, Australia. What scared the hell out of me was in the movie, a radiation cloud was headed for Australia and everyone was told by the Australian Government to prepare to die. Poison was dispensed to all those who did not want to suffer and it was the parent's responsibility to put their children down, to kill them so that they wouldn't suffer. The movie portrayed parents and their children waiting in long lines to receive this poison before the cloud appeared. For the longest time I always gave my parents that "side eyed" look and kept my ears open to the latest news and our showdown with the Soviets!

Old 11-18-2008, 02:48 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,901,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The movie that disturbed me as a kid, who grew up in DC during the cold war and Cuban missile crisis, was "On the Beach". A Gregory Peck movie about an American Naval Sub and its crew who survived the apocalypse and found its way to the last surviving humans on earth, Australia. What scared the hell out of me was in the movie, a radiation cloud was headed for Australia and everyone was told by the Australian Government to prepare to die. Poison was dispensed to all those who did not want to suffer and it was the parent's responsibility to put their children down, to kill them so that they wouldn't suffer. The movie portrayed parents and their children waiting in long lines to receive this poison before the cloud appeared. For the longest time I always gave my parents that "side eyed" look and kept my ears open to the latest news and our showdown with the Soviets!
I never saw that movie, but I read the book when I was about 13 and was so disturbed by the story. I still remember the passages about the little pills and couldn't imagine making that decision. Haunting... I might have to read it again.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:41 PM

8,587 posts, read 9,078,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I never saw that movie, but I read the book when I was about 13 and was so disturbed by the story. I still remember the passages about the little pills and couldn't imagine making that decision. Haunting... I might have to read it again.
Disturbing yes. Also in the movie they showed parents tucking their children in bed and then handing them a glass of water and the pill. I saw this movie in the 1960s and never saw it again until a couple of years ago when I bought the DVD. Didn't have the same effect as it did back then. I guess I've become "desensitized".

Old 11-30-2008, 01:47 PM

110 posts, read 293,395 times
Horror movies have pretty much ruined my life.

I don't swim, because I am afraid a shark will eat me, or dead souls will drag me to the bottom to live with them. That, and I already have a fear of drowning; being able to see the surface but not reach it.

I cannot sleep in a room with mirrored closets. Thanks alot Poltergiest. Although, I think mirrored closests are tacky anyway.

Static-y TVs make me afraid some small, dead, waterlogged, little girl will come to kill me, even though I tried to set her free.

Movies like 28 Days make me want to pop some serious penicillin and wear a SARS mask, preferably one with a monkey or cat on it. Leave it to Asia to turn a serious problem into a fashion statement. Americans would never be able to do that. We'd just freak out and not be able to think of anything positive.

Clowns totally creep me out. My aunt is a clown fanatic, and I had to sleep in the guest room that was plastered with clowns, after watchin IT with my older cousins. Almost died, I swear.

Was worried about nuclear holocaust after a few different movies and the "One, two, three, four...." PSA with the little girl picking the petals off the flower. But I have now accepted my fate as reality and am fine with it. Besides, if Fallout 3 is anything like the nuclear holocaust, there may be a way to survive it. I'm just not sure if I want to.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,535,624 times
I swore I would never name my little boy Gage. (Pet Semetary)
Not a big fan of clowns.
Don't like water I can't see the bottom of.

Too many scary movies when I was a kid!

Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,993,503 times
I didn't see it because I know it would have scared me even worse then I was just by seeing the previews "The Dentist." The actual fear stemmed from an experience I had at the dentist, but this movie just confirmed and strengthened my fear.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,481,539 times
"The Exorcist" with Linda Blair was scary as hell! Still gives me the willies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies