Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

Aliens. Thank you "E.T". and especially "Communion". Hey, I was just a little kid at the time and it's hard to un-grow a brain!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:15 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
"The Shining" was it for me. Went alone. Could not get that movie out of my head for days and very very frightened to go to bed at night. Today it seems ridiculous, but I was young and very impressionable then.

Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 AM

454 posts, read 793,755 times
IRRATIONAL FEARS:

won't hang a hand/foot over the bed in case something grabs it. Driving alone at night sometimes afraid to look in the rearview mirror, lest i see some "thing" slithering and undulating chasing the car. Closets with an open door at night. Absolutely frozen terrified of puppets, ventriloquist dummies. Would not go into a cemetery at night if you paid me $10,000 (yeah i know, the dead can't hurt you.... still...)

MOVIE-RELATED FEARS:

basements (vampires lurking there in the movie Salem's Lot). Will not go into a basement EVER

the characters Butteball and Chatterer (movie Hellraiser). Was so paralyzed with fright could not watch the entire film

will not look into a mirror in the dark (movie Candyman)

Old 08-25-2013, 06:00 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
"On the Beach" has stayed in my head since the first time I saw it. Besides the people lining up to get the pills I thought the scenes of people going about business as usual were disturbing. Planting bulbs, doing home maintenance,etc.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,743 times
Jaws. I saw it when I was young and pretty much ruined any kind of ocean swimming for me unless it's really shallow.

The Blair Witch Project. I used to enjoy wandering off into the woods, off the trails and just see where I end up but I tend to stay on trails and not wander off anymore.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:33 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
well I dont know if this is a fear or not but me and my sister took a bunch of girls and my brother to friday the 13th the original one and when we stopped at a girls house at the end of a hill . We had to all walk up the hill with her and her parents were not home . One girls hair got caught in a tree and she screamed bloody murder and we all had to search her house . I mean search behind shower curtains , under beds you name it , it got searched .When we got back in the car my sister told all of us "We are never taking that girl to another movie " and to my recollection we never did ....I wonder if that girl still searches her house after scary movies .LOL

Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,112 times
Fatal Attraction

It left me with an overdeveloped sense of fidelity.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:43 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Trapped (TV Movie 1973) - IMDb

I saw this film as a teen, and have been scared of Dobermans, ever since.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:49 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
being a crime victim as a traveler (Breakdown, 1997 with Kurt Russell and Kathleen Quinlan)

Old 09-20-2013, 07:35 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
I can't remember the name of it - but it was about an earwig bug that goes in this guys ear, borrows through his head and goes out the other ear. Then he learns that it laid eggs in his brain and he starts going nuts. To this day, I make sure my ear is covered with something before I go to sleep.
Two instances of this that I know of. As mentioned, Night Gallery, The Caterpillar:

THE CATERPILLAR - Video Dailymotion

And Star Trek, Wrath of Kahn paid homage to, or borrowed the plot idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The movie that disturbed me as a kid, who grew up in DC during the cold war and Cuban missile crisis, was "On the Beach". A Gregory Peck movie about an American Naval Sub and its crew who survived the apocalypse and found its way to the last surviving humans on earth, Australia. What scared the hell out of me was in the movie, a radiation cloud was headed for Australia and everyone was told by the Australian Government to prepare to die. Poison was dispensed to all those who did not want to suffer and it was the parent's responsibility to put their children down, to kill them so that they wouldn't suffer. The movie portrayed parents and their children waiting in long lines to receive this poison before the cloud appeared. For the longest time I always gave my parents that "side eyed" look and kept my ears open to the latest news and our showdown with the Soviets!
If that freaked you out, don't watch Stephen King's The Mist, 2007.The ending won't do it for you at all. [no smiley]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies