Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times

Advertisements

That is going to be our Thanksgiving Day movie.

Two of my faves together... yum.. Hugh Jackman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 04:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I am looking forward to this movie.
It's been awhile since I've seen an epic, and I enjoy both Kidman and Jackman.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:21 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
I'm looking forward to this movie, probably more than any other on the holiday slate this year. But, it's worrisome to me that the film is getting so-so reviews from a lot of critics. Many are saying Nicole's performance is not very good. I always love her performances though, so maybe they just have a thing against her as an actress in general.

Can't wait to check it out! My movie day is this Friday! Time to catch up.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I was disappointed to hear that apparently the ending has been changed because test audiences did not like the not so happy ending and that 20th Century Fox put pressure on Baz Luhrmann, which seems a real shame.

It is not out in the UK yet so I am not sure whether this is true but if so then Hollywood has once again interfered with artistic integrity in a rather deplorable way simply to popularise and pander to the lowest common denominator.

Does anyone know whether the rumors are true ?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I was disappointed to hear that apparently the ending has been changed because test audiences did not like the not so happy ending and that 20th Century Fox put pressure on Baz Luhrmann, which seems a real shame.

It is not out in the UK yet so I am not sure whether this is true but if so then Hollywood has once again interfered with artistic integrity in a rather deplorable way simply to popularise and pander to the lowest common denominator.

Does anyone know whether the rumors are true ?
Is Australia considered a Hollywood movie?
Isn't it an Aussie production?
Well, I still want to see it.
I had mixed feelings about Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge, but then I'm not big on musicals.
edited to add:
Maybe you just mean that the movie is infected with the Hollywood mentality?

Old 11-26-2008, 03:45 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Is Australia considered a Hollywood movie?
Isn't it an Aussie production?
Well, I still want to see it.
I had mixed feelings about Luhrmann's Moulin Rouge, but then I'm not big on musicals.
edited to add:
Maybe you just mean that the movie is infected with the Hollywood mentality?

The rumour was that 20th century Fox was behind the change of ending , which to me would imply that "Hollywood" as in the backers presumably would have a rather negative effect ?

It is a movie by an Australian director with Australian actors but I'm assuming a lot of the money ( and thus creative control ) is mostly from tinseltown though I know they have an Australian branch?

Old 11-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
The rumour was that 20th century Fox was behind the change of ending , which to me would imply that "Hollywood" as in the backers presumably would have a rather negative effect ?

It is a movie by an Australian director with Australian actors but I'm assuming a lot of the money ( and thus creative control ) is mostly from tinseltown though I know they have an Australian branch?
Dunno.
But money, indeed, talks.
The Hollywood influence in an Aussie production cannot take place without someone saying Yes,and no doubt it happens because of financing.
It's like Starbucks, Mcdonald's, etc.
These things, as unwelcome as they may be to the general public, cannot come in and make themselves at home without someone welcoming them with open arms. All because of money.
Too bad Australia is unsuccessful. It's been awhile since I've seen a sprawling epic and I was looking forward to it.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:50 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,691 times
It's Unfortunate side of this. Is That it's exactly the type of movie, That could have boosted the lagging Australian film industry? We really need a huge box office success! But that looks like it mightn't happen now?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 PM

648 posts, read 3,090,224 times
australia is a very good movie. i enjoyed every minute of it. (i didn't even notice that it was long
i'll buy it when it comes out and i don't buy many movies.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
I saw "Australia" yesterday. Suffice it to say that the cinematography was amazing, the scale of the movie was a wonderful throwback to "classic" genres like Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, etc., and was pure pleasure to watch. I'd give it a "B+" in terms of grading....
A good movie worth watching on the big screen for sure. The time goes by fast, and it never seems too long. Great performances, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies