Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Avoiding the Broadway Musicals that made it into the movies, I can still think of a number of movies where the music played a major role and was memorable. Breaking it into movies with a great theme or two, and movies with an outstanding musical soundtrack, I'll start out with a couple of examples:

Great theme or two:
Bridge on the Rive Kwai
Zorba the Greek

Great musical soundtrack:
Streets of Fire
Rocky Horror
Star Wars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times

2001 A Space Odyssey Opening in 1080 HD - YouTube

2001: a space odyssey - YouTube

Old 01-12-2013, 12:04 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times

Great Moments of movie music 2 - YouTube

Old 01-13-2013, 01:15 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

John Murphy - Sunshine (Adagio In D Minor) - YouTube

Requiem for a Dream | Soundtrack | OST - YouTube

Cloud Atlas Soundtrack - 01 Prelude - The Atlas March - YouTube

Old 01-13-2013, 03:31 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,230,731 times
"Somewhere in Time" is driven by two themes: the main title by John Barry and Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini:

Somewhere In Time (Original Sound Track) - YouTube

Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini(Somewhere in Time) - YouTube
They bring the phrase "wildly romantic" to mind~wildly, gloriously, heartstoppingly. *sigh*

Many critics consider John Williams' "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" score to be one of the most manipulative pieces of music ever written; and, they meant it in a good way. I've read that Steven Spielberg actually tried to match the film to the music instead of the usual process.

For me, Basil Poledouris's score for "Conan the Barbarian" is absolutely brilliant! I've been buying soundtracks since my teens in the mid-Sixties: "Gone with the Wind" by Max Steiner, "Doctor Zhivago" and "Lawrence of Arabia" by Maurice Jarre, "Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota, etc., including the works of Bernard Herrmann, Miklos Rozsa, Ernest Gold and others with many of these inspiring the works of John Williams and James Horner). But, "Conan" is simply outstanding, a perfect match for this epic story:

Conan The Barbarian - Theme - YouTube

Conan: The Barbarian Score - The Orgy - YouTube

"Chariots of Fire" by Vangelis, who also wrote the amazing score for "Blade Runner", has a theme that still is used though mainly for parodies or as an allusion:

Chariots of fire - movie, opening scene - YouTube

They use a traditional song throughout "On the Beach" to set the melancholy mood: "Waltzing Matilda". It's sung and incorporated into the score. Here's one scene:

Excerpt of "Waltzing Matilda" from "On the Beach" (1959) - YouTube

Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Billy Jack.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:17 PM

109 posts, read 278,759 times
Dazed and Confused from a musical stand point but if you are more hip-hop, The Wash.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Titanic would not have been the same film without the soundtrack. Love it or hate it.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:17 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Avoiding the Broadway Musicals that made it into the movies, I can still think of a number of movies where the music played a major role and was memorable. Breaking it into movies with a great theme or two, and movies with an outstanding musical soundtrack, I'll start out with a couple of examples:

Great theme or two:
Bridge on the Rive Kwai
Zorba the Greek

Great musical soundtrack:
Streets of Fire
Rocky Horror
Star Wars
Best musical turned into a movie, based on a great novel by French writer Victor Hugo (out now in most theaters) = Tom Hooper's Les Miserables. Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Ann Hathaway. Stunning. Strangely, few people are going to see it, saying they don't like musicals. Reviews are mixed but mostly great. doing much better in Britain, where perhaps there seem more familiar with great classics. But the movie is not like a staged Broadway musical with professional song and dance. These actors are using their real voices in the music by composer Claude-Michel Schönberg (with English-language lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer)

I found it so wonderful that I went to see it twice. I will probably buy it.

If every high school kid saw this rendition, they would love their assignment to read Les Mis in French or English.

Les Miserables Movie Review: 7 Reasons Why Les Mis is the Movie of the Year

Les Miserables

Old 01-15-2013, 10:57 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Notting Hill is one that came immediately to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies