Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 02:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Well after watching The Family That Preys and Why Did I Get Married (2 films without Madea) I thought he was going for a more serious route. This seems like it should have been his first or second movie, not his sixth.

Yeah the ending was rushed and predictable. I thought Madea was too much in this one. She was over-the top in the others that she was in, but this one almost reminded me of the plays because she was so outrageously dramatic. The whole scene with Joe in the beginning was boring. And Brown really had no reason to be in the movie except to make people laugh.

I didn't feel her, but I think making her go to prison at the end was a bit much. The way she handled it was kinda like she was looking down on her and for what reason, which was basically Derek Luke's point. We're from the same place so stop with the "those people". She knew nothing about her except she was a prostitute. I might have been a little pissed but when I asked him to explain why she was important to him and he told me long story - I'd have sat my behind down and waited. I wouldn't have left him alone with the prostitute I was concerned about him being in love with. I hated her bossy little friend.

Overall, I just didn't like the movie - it seemed like an hour and a half of House of Payne, which I loathe. And that scene at K-mart reminded me of Fried Green Tomatoes. That white lady was so fake and unbelievable it wasn't funny; it was annoying. The only scenes that really made me laugh was the one with Dr.Phil and when Cora bumps that man who cuts her off.
On top of it all, the movie is called "Madea Goes to Jail" but she's only in jail for like 10 minutes of the movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
I didn't get to see it - my 5 year old decided to cut her hair by herself last night. so we had to go get it fixed. Sounds like I didn't miss much though.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Okay,
Also I'm hoping that these type of movies will continue to surface because I think it's great to be able to see people like myself in Christmas movies, comedies and drama on the big screen without all the sex, violence and adult language that seems to plague black films.
I agree but the same thing plagues all films. We watched Family Reunion and really enjoyed the movie ... I think Tyler Perry is very talented and that family reunion could be any reunion red, yellow, black or white.

At my in-laws family reunion someone is assigned to watch what Cousin So&So brings to eat because her kitchen is nasty ... this is serious business to them. LOL

We just watched Tyler Perry's films recently and glad we did.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:01 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
honestly, I've been avoiding Tyler Perry movies since I'm sick of the whole "black man as a fat black woman" shtick after Eddie Murphy ran it into the ground.
That's exactly why I've never seen these movies. I have no desire to see that - too stupid and silly for me.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
honestly, I've been avoiding Tyler Perry movies since I'm sick of the whole "black man as a fat black woman" shtick after Eddie Murphy ran it into the ground. however, I've heard nothing but good things about "Daddy's Little Girls" and have been meaning to watch it.

as a OT side note, I tend not to flock to black media, whether it be BET, Essence magazine, or movies and books marketed towards the black community. I have NOTHING against them and do enjoy them at times, but overall, I don't take them in as much as some other black people seem to do (I'm a bit more diverse in my media options, but there are some blacks I know that ONLY read books in the AA section, or only watch movies w/ a majority black cast, for example)
I just have to point out that the differences between Tyler Perry and Eddie Murphy dressing up are almost as different as black and white.

Eddie Murphy roles attempt to make fun of the fact that the characters are fat and black. No familiarity or morality involved with him.

Tyler Perry on the other hand portrays characters he knows very well. He draws from his own experiences and his roles come straight from people like those in his own family. Madea is outrageous, but notice how there are no running gags about her weight, age, or color. She's a realistic character who is still able to relay important messages and deliver warmhearted comedy at the same time.

Madea is down home. Norbit and Nutty Professor are ridiculous.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:24 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
Nairobi, great points. Eddie Murphy roles make me, as an overweight black woman, feel embarrassed and slightly ashamed of MYSELF.

Tyler Perry's Madea doesn't at all. She's "good people", and her size and way of talking are someone we all knew growing up.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Tyler Perry on the other hand portrays characters he knows very well. He draws from his own experiences and his roles come straight from people like those in his own family. Madea is outrageous, but notice how there are no running gags about her weight, age, or color. She's a realistic character who is still able to relay important messages and deliver warmhearted comedy at the same time.

Madea is down home. Norbit and Nutty Professor are ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
Nairobi, great points. Eddie Murphy roles make me, as an overweight black woman, feel embarrassed and slightly ashamed of MYSELF.

Tyler Perry's Madea doesn't at all. She's "good people", and her size and way of talking are someone we all knew growing up.
You're both right. Madea to me is like a combination of all the grandmothers on my block when I was growing up. It seemed back then the grandmothers of the family were very outspoken with their thoughts - my own grandmother told me she'd lived a long life and I should pray that if i live to be her age that God gives me the good sense to say "whatever the hell I want" lol

Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,693,361 times
I definately don't watch it and wasn't aware there were "points" made, but from the few clips I have seen, it portrays blacks in such a terrrible light. I'm aware that in his movies, the black characters usually prevail over their hardship, etc, and that's a good thing, it's just that with this show, I feel embarassed that the family is portrayed as baffoonish-acting people. Terrible grammar and speech patterns. Just my thoughts, it's too bad he has to make a show like this. Why not another "Cosby"-type show?

Quote:
I don't really watch that show. I watched two episodes and I was done. There was a lot of clowning in the plays but there was always a point - however I think 30 minutes is just too short for him to have a point. The first episode I saw was the one where the wife was a crackhead and burned down the house - I was like who the hell thinks this is funny?

Old 02-25-2009, 04:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I definately don't watch it and wasn't aware there were "points" made, but from the few clips I have seen, it portrays blacks in such a terrrible light. I'm aware that in his movies, the black characters usually prevail over their hardship, etc, and that's a good thing, it's just that with this show, I feel embarassed that the family is portrayed as baffoonish-acting people. Terrible grammar and speech patterns. Just my thoughts, it's too bad he has to make a show like this. Why not another "Cosby"-type show?
But you have to understand that there's a fine line between baffoonery and familiar comedy. Many of Tyler Perry's characters are ones that we recognize which is exactly why blacks are flocking to the theaters to see his movies.

As an educated and knowledgeable African-American, I am not the least bit offended with anything TP produces. What Cosby did was real cool, but Perry's work hits home for a lot of folk.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:52 PM

134 posts, read 184,245 times
I love all his movies. I always like the message and they are sooo funny. It's hard to find funny movies that aren't nasty or degrading someone. Thank you Tyler Perry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies