U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:06 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,118,410 times

Advertisements

Well, I posted about this before, but once again, my chief complaints are:

The tiresome tradition of slow motion "inspirational" sports sequences with come-from-behind teams, and a background theme song that is invariably Motown.

Scenes with people pumping their fists, exclaiming "YES!"

No matter how frantic the car chase might be, there is always a convenient parking space.

The exploding aquarium--it's *so* 20th century--time to put this scene to rest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,223,125 times
Person (usually a woman) being chased falls down and/or loses a shoe.

The whole boy-meets-girl-boy-loses-girl-boy-wins-back-girl thing is tired.

When people order food/drinks and then leave without eating/drinking the stuff.

When people in horror movies are stupid and walk into the pitch black room/woods/alleyway etc. where they just heard a noise and yell, "WHO'S THERE??!"

Obvious computer-animation/special effects.

When people on sitcoms find/win money and end up losing it by the end of the show so the TV writers can give a little lesson on morals/ethics to the viewers.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:16 PM

11,699 posts, read 26,972,989 times
The camera that rotates around a couple having a conversation, often at a distracting speed. WTF!?? Is the audience supposed to be seeing the movie from a friggin merry-go-round? I hope to see an outake someday where the camera operator is suddenly heard retching and tossing his cookies all over his Mitchell, or falls off his chair screaming. Maybe the guys pushing the camera dolly could get together and give one really hard push and send the whole cart tumbling.

Another peeve? How about that bouncy cam popularized in "Blair Witch?" Looks like Anna Nicole Smith was making another movie at a dead run...

Then there are the obligatory fast cuts with movement, designed to increase the sales of Dramamine. Take a look at the intro to the "Tonight" show for an example. It looks like some six-year old game-boy freak is at the production console. "What does this little lever do? Oh KEWL, it zooms in and out! I wonder if I can make it zoom five times in two seconds? Ahh! The speed control for the motor powering that flying cam! If I taze it, I'll bet it will do Warp 2!"

Old 12-13-2008, 02:02 PM

38,753 posts, read 38,649,316 times
Casting is so laughable in sports films. Cant the casting agency find a single actor who has ever thrown a baseball? Or somebody who over 5'10", 175, to play interior linemen on the State vs. Tech big game?

And there is always a public address announcer who is doing a radio play-by-play.
------------
Oh, newscasters, too. If two people are watching the TV news, the newscaster pauses so they can make comments about it.
------------

Speaking of radio/TV, how many of you are old enough to remember pre-1965 radio and TV sets that were not yet transistorized, and when you switch it on, you have to wait about 30 seconds for the vacuum tubes to warm up. Never happens in those retro 40's and 50's movies, where they switch the radio on and get sound immediately---always right at the bginning of exactly the right dance tune, or the just as the announcer breaks in with the prison-break bulletin.
-----------
And those phone calls from the speed-talkers:
Hello (two second pause) Yes, I'll come to the airport at 10:15 and meet you for your flight number 604 arriving from Bostin at gate 24, and I'll be so happy to meet your new friend that is coming with you, and it so thoughtful of you to bring along the turkey"
----------
How come the person in front of me in line at the supermarket can't sign her name as fast as an actor in a movie? And everybody leaves their key in the car---they never have to funble for it, and there is never elapsed time to put it into the ignition. Not to mention the parking space right at the front door.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:08 PM

400 posts, read 477,837 times
Everyone turning to the best looking guy to find out what to do
People not paying for their cab rides
People with dwellings not even close to commensurate with their profession

And, personally, I hate music incongruous to the period of the movie.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:07 PM

822 posts, read 1,832,550 times
1. Someone says "I know what you're going through" and the person says "how can you know! You can't know! You don't know!" [this one is very frequent]. 2. A phone call comes at a critical time and everything changes - the content of the phone call was totally crucial and changed everything, go figure!

Old 12-13-2008, 04:26 PM

16,074 posts, read 14,020,799 times
My greatest pet peeve cliche -

The hero, after having his girlfriend/family/mentor/whatever killed by the bad guys goes after them, kills a bunch of them in a ruined factory (or whatever) left ablaze - then as we walks away (and towards the camera) the building behind him goes up in an enormous explosion - and he doesn't even flinch (nor is his hair mussed by shock wave). Tons of movies use this scene - or a variant of it - even some that I otherwise REALLY liked - such as Iron Man (the exploding tank scene is a variant).

The scene is sooooooo overused and soooooooo stupid.

Ken

Old 12-13-2008, 04:30 PM

22,802 posts, read 17,746,312 times
Everybody lives in a big house (indoor shots) or apartment even if they have dubious income or live in an expensive state. Even if the movie is about slums, the rooms inside are always large.

In Los Angeles, everybody gets where they're going fairly quickly.

Teachers are saints/noble in movies and none of them are EVER portrayed as stupid.

If someone is the bad guy in a white collar movie or he's an idiot in a white collar movie, he probably works for federal, state or local government in that movie.

If religion is a factor in a movie, it's crazy, stifling, evil or meanspirited.

If you are a Republican in a movie, you must be the bad/incompetent guy.

Unless they are killers, hookers are always wise or observant or have a heart of gold.

Old guys play leads. Old women are supporting characters unless they're the Queen.

Newspaper reporters always have your best interests at heart. If you are in trouble run to the newspaper.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM

16,587 posts, read 20,297,407 times
When they break off a fire sprinkler head (or hold a match to one in order to activate it) all the sprinkler heads begin spraying water.

Tossing a lit cigarette onto spilled gasoline lights it off.

Every car that crashes explodes.

Spilled diesel fuel explodes into a fiery bloom just like gasoline does.

(can you tell I was a firefighter?)

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 PM

161 posts, read 250,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
When they break off a fire sprinkler head (or hold a match to one in order to activate it) all the sprinkler heads begin spraying water.

Tossing a lit cigarette onto spilled gasoline lights it off.

Every car that crashes explodes.

Spilled diesel fuel explodes into a fiery bloom just like gasoline does.

(can you tell I was a firefighter?)
I bet you'd be real fun to sit next to in the theater...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies