Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 PM

305 posts, read 796,732 times

Advertisements

He won the Academy Award for this film and I am really looking forward to seeing his performance in this. I still haven't seen the movie, but it is definitely on my "must rent" list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:37 AM

3,011 posts, read 6,286,659 times
I will definitely get the DVD

Old 04-06-2009, 02:21 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,962,665 times
I saw it over the weekend and it was great. Damn good performance from Penn.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM

26,135 posts, read 48,790,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeyouhigher View Post
He won the Academy Award for this film and I am really looking forward to seeing his performance in this. I still haven't seen the movie, but it is definitely on my "must rent" list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I will definitely get the DVD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I saw it over the weekend and it was great. Damn good performance from Penn.
An amazing movie with an incredible performance by Penn. He's come a LOOOOONG way from when he was "Jeff Spicoli."

Old 04-07-2009, 03:09 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
He's come a LOOOOONG way from when he was "Jeff Spicoli."
Definitely...but think about how memorable Spicoli was. I won't go so far as to say he stole the show, but Spicoli was certainly an integral part of Fast Times.
And now, nyuk nyuk, Penn is going to be one of the Three Stooges (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i52a5818a20ffa024b3631338dc79d03d - broken link).
I tend to have a dim view of remakes, and I don't know that these guys can recreate that special, um, Stooges magic.
However, I give Penn the Thespian credit for taking a break from the dramatic Oscar bait and returning to comedy, which is one of the most difficult of arts (if not the most).

Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM

784 posts, read 2,259,432 times
I must be the only one who didn't like this movie. I saw it over the weekend with my girlfriend and she was dozing off, I was dozing off. I kept looking at her to see if she was sleeping all the while falling asleep myself. I just don't see what was so exciting about it. Maybe we didn't see enough of it. We ended up agreeing to turn it off. It was so lame. Got to the part where James Franco left him and he started campaigning again. About to the point where Josh Brolin came in. Anyway, from reading everyones post, I can only assume it got better. Maybe I'll see it all the way through some day. But from what we attempted to watch of it, I was seriously let down...

Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,126,186 times
It was the message. The significance of the movement that made it important. Whether the storyline or acting were or were not superb or exciting enough to keep one's interest or keep the viewer awake--the movement was real and vital.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,962,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
I must be the only one who didn't like this movie. I saw it over the weekend with my girlfriend and she was dozing off, I was dozing off. I kept looking at her to see if she was sleeping all the while falling asleep myself. I just don't see what was so exciting about it. Maybe we didn't see enough of it. We ended up agreeing to turn it off. It was so lame. Got to the part where James Franco left him and he started campaigning again. About to the point where Josh Brolin came in. Anyway, from reading everyones post, I can only assume it got better. Maybe I'll see it all the way through some day. But from what we attempted to watch of it, I was seriously let down...

I dont know how you werent completely amazed by the acting along regardless of how exciting or not exciting the story was. The acting by everyone involved was absolutely amazing. That along was enough to keep me entertained for the two hours.

As DreamWeavin said, the movement was important as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 PM

784 posts, read 2,259,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I dont know how you werent completely amazed by the acting along regardless of how exciting or not exciting the story was. The acting by everyone involved was absolutely amazing. That along was enough to keep me entertained for the two hours.

As DreamWeavin said, the movement was important as well.

First off, why aren't I entitled to my opinion. This is a thread regarding the movie and what people thought. Surely, you don't think that everyone thinks the same or likes the same things.
I like Sean Penn, always have been a fan of his movies, thats partly why we rented it. However, I can't seem to think what was so special about his performance in this movie. I think it was an over-rated movie and a highly over-rated performance. That is just my opinion. Just because a movie deals with an issue (like we don't have enough movies like this anyway, evil whitey keeping some group down, "it" group or "person" overcomes, yada, yada, yada heartwarming. I can see what might be next, Soon they'll make a movie about the discriminated Chinese soap box derby champions. I get it evil whitey holds every one down) But beyond that, the movie was very boring. What was so special about his performance. Because he played a homosexual?, even Sean Penn jokingly remarked that the academy seems to love giving these awards out to anybody playing a gay role. I personally think that Mickey Rourke should have won for his role in the wrestler. That was moving. His movie and role I thought was ten times better. ONce again, mind you, that this is just my opinion. I think Micky got snubbed. We are entitled to our own opinion on what is entertaining to us. Am I right.

It's not like I rented the movie hoping to not like it. I wouldn't have waisted my time or money. I just wasn't impressed. I think they made to much about it. The expectations were high and they just didn't come close to being met. Just my opinion. We all don't like the same movies. What I might think is a good movie, others won't. Leave it at personal preferences.

If I was wrong about anything, and I addressed that in my first post, it's that maybe I should have given it more time. However, no one said to me, that I should have went a little further in the movie, that it would have gotten better. Which leads me to believe, that the movie was not going to change that dramitically for me to give any other opinion.

That's my opinion and you can't change it....Deal with it.....

Old 04-10-2009, 09:14 AM

2,317 posts, read 5,115,683 times
really enjoyed this movie..sean penn did a great acting job and deserved the
oscar....

http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/3.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies