U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 02:53 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times

Advertisements

Sunshinegirl, how about we open a thread for this discussion?
We have been with Netflix for about 3 years now.
Recently I've felt like the service has gone a bit downhill. Movies ten years old, that really should be available, have a "long wait." Sometimes I wonder if messageboard discussion has an effect on availability. I know that sounds crazy, but there have been too many coinky-dinks.
OTOH
When the movie is indeed available, I have a short turnaround: only 2 days usually.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 PM

3,632 posts, read 14,392,652 times
I have been with them for about 2 years. I have really liked the service, it's very quick. But, I think they should have a screen showing the new ones coming out right now. It doesn't seem easy enough to know which movies are brand new. I do check the screens for new releases, but it doesn't seem like enough. I think I will discontinue after this month.

What I REALLY like is DVDPlay. It's a kiosk in my grocery store that carries new releases. You search through the movies on a screen, click, slide your credit card, input your email address (for your invoice) and the movie pops out! It's $1.49 for one day and $.99 for each additional day. Mondays are all $.99. New releases out each Tuesday. It's so easy and cheap (compared to blockbuster) and you get it right then. No more waiting for the mail! I LOVE it! Check it out at dvdplay.com

Old 03-07-2007, 06:28 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,068,533 times
Default Well I have never had to use Netflix

In a way I feel cheated, I don't have to pay for entertainment and it is all free and legal. Also have a superior service that is easy to use.

The Ohio library system has just about everything the commercial services have.

DVD's, VHS, Tapes, Movies, Games, eBooks, an endless selections of CD's, huge collection of books, including a lot of old TV programs, lots of the PBS special programs, lot of the PBS purchased programming that is not like a series, talking books, huge amount of stuff. Tons of older VHS video on every subject you can imagine. All the stuff donated from many sources, plus stuff they buy.

Plus we get an electronic on-line Web account to manage, search, make lists, etc as part of the library card. Can do everything from your home computer. You can just search / select / order stuff on line, if not in stock at a particular library, they just ship it to that library from a sharing library or centeral storage. Usually takes about 2 days max. The account always shows its status, fact it is ordered, in shipment or has arrived awaiting pickup. Something like 100 items may be active at once, books and some other things are exempt from that number. You can make up your dream lists by category and store them on - line by lists to figure out what to order next. System will show if it is on the shelf in a particular library. Pick up is like any library checkout, ordered items you just tell the staff.

For the really hot stuff, there can be a waiting list, if it starts to back up with a lot of demand, they quickly buy more copies.

Most stuff is two week lend, a lot can be renewed, depends on demand, can be done on-line.

Most libraries are organized into regional sharing networks, some networks can go state wide to get it. Just about anything is available by special request by going to the library and talking to staff. They may even buy something not already in stock to fill a special request.

If you live in Ohio and are paying for any service, I would be learning what the library can do for you first. Very small town libraries have equal power of large city libraries to deliver materials quickly.

Before paying NetFlix or any service, compare it to your library service. I have never found a state equal to what Ohio offers but many probably have something. Ohio uses a system of grant and state level funding. Many towns even poor ones have super nice, maybe brand new buildings, some very posh and large. Mine and many others are open late every night to 8 PM most week nites. Also have free use computers at the library with a full range of services including lots of installed software that you might only wish to use a few times.

Some libraries also have free drinks (tea, coffee, etc) and cookies or sometimes even home baked goodies folks donate.

Some libraries have extensive equipment to allow sampling of materials before checking it out like some music stores, video shops do.

Getting a commercial service would be a step down for me. And the local library is only a few minutes away with its own parking lot.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 AM

For a town of 6,ooo peeps, our library is pretty darned good, and they are online and everything. Bill Gates gave them a bunch of computers.
However, their DVD/CD selection is not that great; nothing like what my Denver library had. So I will have to make do with Netflix. When we figure out where we are going to live, I will check out the library and see if I can do better than Netflix. I get the feeling that Netflix is having growing pains. It really was much better when we first joined.
DVDplay looks interesting, sablebaby. I am such a movie person; I should probably check out *all* possibilities.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 AM

1,343 posts, read 4,578,445 times
Our town library has a very small budget, but then again, isn't patronized by a whole lot of residents. The upside is, I can get what few bestsellers they have right off the shelf, without having to reserve. The movies they do have are all donated and older.

We're still in the trial period with Netflix, but so far, so good. I was surprised to be able to get "The Departed" already. Two day turnaround here, also. We really had no choice, since Movie Gallery went out of business here. They were the closest, about 10 miles away.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:51 AM

693 posts, read 2,504,143 times
i've been pretty happy with Netflix in the past 2 years. The only delays I have had were with HD-DVDs because they are probably just starting to build inventory on this format. I just hope they don't keep increasing the fees because their current $16 a month for 2-at-a-time is as much as I am willing to pay.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM

157 posts, read 437,435 times
So far, Iíve been pretty satisfied with Netflix. No problems whatsoever. In January, Netflix launched a video downloading service called Watch Now. Movies can now be downloaded onto a PC. I donít think Iíll ever use it because I canít imagine sitting at my PC for hours watching a movie unless I could feed the movie into my TV.

The takeover rumours took me by surprise. I hope Amazon doesnít buy Netflix and tinker with it. Thatís when Iíll probably have a complaint.

Amazon would face taxation issue in rumored Netflix buy - MarketWatch

Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,028,366 times
I don't have NetFlix, but do have Blockbuster Online and love it. I pay $19/mo with taxes, get 2 free game rentals per months (valued at over $16) that I get to keep for 2 weeks at a time, equalling one months rental time. I also get to turn in my DVDs for new ones in store. So instead of 3 at a time, its like 6 at a time. I went from being able to have 30 DVDs a month to 60 just like that. It's a deal that seems almost too good to be true. I think for new people it is higher then my price though.
I have a Blockbuster one block from my house too, so no reason not to love it.
$19/mo......over 60DVDs(if youre quick) and 2 game rentals.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:46 AM

Wow, thanks for the headsup about the possible takeover, desertgirl.
We have moved. but so far the service seems about the same, possibly a bit better.
kgee, that sounds like a really good deal with Blockbuster but I don't know that I would ever want to deal with them again. When the advantage was on their side, it was all about *their* convenience, not mine.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:00 PM

15,533 posts, read 35,641,148 times
We've used Netflix for a few years and haven't had a problem with it. We tend to rent things that are probably not really popular with most of the world, so what we put in our queue arrives pretty quickly. It's when you want to se a new release that sucks. All the video stores will have a movie that takes Netflix 2-3 months to get. So we usually rent all the new stuff from Hollywood Video, Blockbuster or Video Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or