U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: How often do you go to the movies?
Once a year 5 15.63%
Once a month 1 3.13%
2-4 times a year 10 31.25%
more than once a month 11 34.38%
never 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2009, 11:10 AM

12,723 posts, read 3,109,596 times
Default How often do you go to the movies?

I'm a huge movie fan and we go to the movies at least once a month.

Now that we got a card "buy one ticket, get a second for free" we're even more in the movie theaters than on the sofa watching one flick after the other.

So, who of you, enjoys going to the movies and who doesn't? What kind of movies do you watch when you go out? Do you always have popcorn and soft drinks?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM

16,972 posts, read 11,904,303 times
Rarely go to the movies. Expensive and too often disappointed. Once in awhile we do go though. More likely to rent a movie later. DH likes the soft drinks and popcorn. I'm a cheapskate and more likely to sneak stuff in in my bag!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 AM

5,612 posts, read 9,445,107 times
I go to the bargain matinee ($6). I like action flicks, comdies and feel good movies.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 PM

262 posts, read 334,621 times
I absolutley love going to the movies!I choose going to the movies over going out with friends to the bar a lot of the time.Its my home away from home lol.When I go to the movies I like to watch anything that looks good really,but my prefered genres would be stuff like comedy,action and horror.Im pretty open minded when it comes to movies.Most of the time I go to the movies 2 or 3 times a month depending on what is showing,sometime 4 times a month!.I normally buy an extra large coke or blue slushy with a slice of pizza or just some candy...most of the time we just bring our own candy into the theatre with us.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:24 PM

18,269 posts, read 2,922,558 times
It varies. sometimes I go to the movies more than once a month and then sometimes I rarely go.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,695,793 times
It all depends on how my funds are looking, if I really feel like the movie is worth going to the expensive movie theater, and if I am paying.

Sometimes I can go 2-3 times a month and sometimes I can go months at a time without going to the theater.
I used to work at a movie theater so it was nice being able to go to the movies for free. Too bad I didn't get a discount on food.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:15 PM

13,039 posts, read 14,814,472 times
About twice a week on average I would say. There are some dry periods with nothing on I actually want to see but my local little Art-House cinema always tend to have something I want to see.

I am becoming more and more disillusioned about Hollywood Blockbusters though. I think Tinseltown has really lost the plot ( quite literally) and is lacking the intelligence and wit to produce many well crafted films. I seem to be disappointed pretty much any time I go to a big budget film nowadays ( apart from animated films). I much prefer foreign and independent movies where films are still considered to be a craft and one of the story-teller's greatest tool. Such a shame that an industry with so much money and access to ready talent only seem to produce mediocre, run of the mill productions, usually re-hashed from previous successes.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM

5,555 posts, read 4,089,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Rarely go to the movies. Expensive and too often disappointed. Once in awhile we do go though. More likely to rent a movie later. DH likes the soft drinks and popcorn. I'm a cheapskate and more likely to sneak stuff in in my bag!
Same here. Prefer Netflix (choice for all genres and even old TV shows, PBS shows, documentaries, hard to get films, etc. etc.) - No traffic, no parking, no noise, can cry in private, can pause the film, can walk right into bed when it's over.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:57 PM

12,153 posts, read 10,462,575 times
It varies for me - I go more than 2-4 times a year but I don't go once a month. There are times when I'm in the mall and I'll just go because I don't feel like going home - either way I'm definitely a movie goer. I don't buy the food in the movie theater though - I usually sneak stuff in by bag. Depending on what time of day it is and how hungry I am I'll sneak whole meals in lol my boyfriend claims it's embarrassing but he always manages to eat some of the food.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:38 PM

13,321 posts, read 29,621,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It varies for me - I go more than 2-4 times a year but I don't go once a month.
Ditto.
I'd go more often but I live on an island with only one theater.
I never get to see any indie movies until they're on Netflix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies