Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:03 PM

85 posts, read 404,474 times

Advertisements

I understand "300" was filmed in a warehouse in Canada. Not one scene was shot outdoors. This tells me to expect to see a "video game' done up as a movie. Short on acting on long on special effects. No thanks.
The film did not go into the important naval battle that took place at the same time as the battle at the pass. The Greeks defeated the Persians but one would never know it from this piece of junk disguised as a film.
Have your son check out history books at his local library for the real story....this movie is a waste of time and money in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 01:53 PM

206 posts, read 936,579 times
I'm not usually one for films w/ big fight scenes, but I really liked 300. Hubby and I went to see it and I'm sooooo in love w/ Gerard!!!!!! Yes, lots of eye candy, I'd go see it again.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:28 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,606,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff30329 View Post
I understand "300" was filmed in a warehouse in Canada. Not one scene was shot outdoors. This tells me to expect to see a "video game' done up as a movie. Short on acting on long on special effects. No thanks.
The film did not go into the important naval battle that took place at the same time as the battle at the pass. The Greeks defeated the Persians but one would never know it from this piece of junk disguised as a film.
Have your son check out history books at his local library for the real story....this movie is a waste of time and money in my opinion.
1. Since, by your post, ("...expect to see...no thanks..."), the presumption would have to be, that you have not seen the film. Video game, long on special effects? Perhaps, but do try to remember that this movie was based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, not a history book. It's not meant to be taken as gospel truth. So, watch the movie first, then critique and shred to your heart's content. But, do so within the context of the movie, itself, as entertainment, not as a historical documentary, which it makes no claim to be.

2. While it is true that the film did not go into the naval battle, something tells me it wasn't meant to. I believe that would be the reason why the title was "300", since it was based on, (or perhaps inspired by, would be the better term), the battle at the pass of Thermopylae, where 300 Spartans, (and a number of other Greeks), stood their ground against the Persians. Had the movie been about both the battle in the pass, and the naval battle, chances are, it would have been given a different title.

3.At the end of the movie, although it does not go into details, it does elude to the victory that the Greeks eventually won over the Persians. I would agree that people should read history books to find out the real story, which is something I do, after I watch a historically-based movie, so I would suspect that other people have also been exploring this topic, now that they have seen the film. Perhaps you should give more credit to myself and my son, (as well as to the other person on here, who mentioned that his son had seen the movie), that we have been reading about the truth of the battle. This movie was not a documentary, nor should it be treated as one. But, if it gets people onto the internet, into their library, and watching the History Channel, then I would say that the movie has served a purpose. Not to mention that it was simply alot of fun to watch.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:11 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,884,157 times
I'm going to see the movie today; will report back.

There was an interesting program about the battle on the History Channel last night. I love listening to those history professors talk, they make it come alive for me.
I understand some folks' frustration with cinematic versions of real historical events. Creative license does not sit well with everyone.
I remember the brouhaha over Braveheart's many detours from fact, and even the well-intentioned A Bridge Too Far and Saving Private Ryan had their inaccuracies.
Just as so many people "liked the book better," many purist viewers might be disappointed with what a film director does to real events.

As Celtic Lady says, a movie is not meant to be taken literally, especially this one, which is based on Frank Miller's graphic novel.
A movie is both a visual and visceral distillation of a story.
It takes you places a book can't.
However, what often does occur is that movie viewers who become interested in the actual event will do their own research. Mind you, ancient history such as this famous last stand happened a lo-ong time ago.
300 is not a documentary.

As for the green screen warehouse filming and CG, to me it's all the more challenge for the actors. This movie is based on a graphic novel. Might there be stylized, violent gore? Might there be bombastic, melodramatic speeches? There just might.

I dunno, I go to different types of movies with different types of expectations. I did not see "The Hours" or "Little Women" with the same type of mindset I might have for "300." I mostly expect to be entertained, and hopefully moved in some way. We shall see.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:46 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,606,954 times
CIL, if you go to the movie, with the expectation of entertainment, and not education, as obviously you will, then I think you will enjoy it. But, even if you don't like it, at least you have the good common sense to treat the movie as it was intended. I simply don't understand why some people insist on getting so riled up, if a movie isn't dead-on accurate. Hollywoood does not have the reputation for accuracy,(or, for impartiality or objectivity), so why are folks so surprised? Particularly with a movie that is based on a graphic novel? From what I knew already, and what I have learned since watching it, the movie actually was fairly accurate, in many places, but certainly not throughout the film. They did take creative license, as you said, and that is fine by me. Now, had I been listening to a history professor, or reading a history book, or watching that program on the History Channel, (which, by the way, I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was entertained, too), then you'd better believe that I expect the information to be correct!

So, go watch the movie, and enjoy! Eat lots of buttery popcorn, wash it down with soda, and maybe have some Raisinets. Oh, whoops, sorry, got carried away there! That's what I do. Have fun!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Okay, I'm back.
300 is without a doubt a cinematic version of a graphic novel. Not high art, not an epic, but visually stunning. Lots of stylized, slo-mo violence: flashing swords, buff bodies, arrows raining through the sky, spears hurtling into hapless enemies.
Dialogue was indeed a bit melodramatic, but hey--this is Sparta, and look at what was at stake.
I really liked Gerard Butler, been following him for a couple of years, he never disappoints and this will probably be his break-through performance (though I did, on occasion, hear a hint of a Scottish accent. )
In terms of sword/sandals warrior films,this movie did not stay with me the way Braveheart or Gladiator did. I was not as emotionally moved.
However, 300 was indeed a feast for the eyes, there were several scenes which obviously had been faithfully recreated from the novel, and they were well done indeed.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:22 PM

I would rather see good acting rather than a film full of special effects.
The History channel had a 2 hour special of the battle.....some special effects but historically accurate. its on again tonight at 8:00...3-18-07
I don't have to see the film to be able to judge its content.
The previews told me everything...epic violence, heads cut off, bodies piling up, no thanks again.
By the way, the real Spartans worn body and leg armor...

Old 03-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
By the way, the real Spartans worn body and leg armor...
...Yet were depicted in Greek art with a heck of a lot of skin showing.
I would never judge anything without first seeing it.
There are some films that I know I won't see, but I'm not going to post a bunch of opinion about them, either.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM

Greeks never fought battles naked, silly.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Greeks never fought battles naked, silly.
heehee
Duff, I know.
They just liked to immortalize themselves that way.
No doubt the Cretans, when leaping about bulls, might have worn more clothes than they're shown wearing.
It's called artistic license.
I quite enjoyed Gerard Butler's sixpack. Might not have been able to appreciate it so well had it been covered with body armor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies