Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:31 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,347,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
not sure if this was the case or not, but I heard that Biggie's mom's had a major hand in making this movie, so I was wondering how much of it was tamed down in an attempt to make her son look better. who knows, but it doesn't sound like it was a unbiased movie (hopefully I'm wrong. it would be nice to have a fairly accurate portrayal and not one that makes anyone look like a Cub Scout when we know they were far from it). as for Diddy, well, if he was financing the thing somehow, then of course he's going to insist he looks like a saint in it

I'm surprised that, by your words, Tupac was villainized in this movie, I've always heard Tupac's mother and Biggie's mother were past the East Side vs. West Side war and had become friends. I have to wonder how the film portrayed Big's death. I'm definitely gonna have to see this movie, to see how they pull of such a contentious topic
Well, they basically made Tupac look like he single-handedly started the fued in a fit of paranoia, and then was a pawn in Suge Knight's game to get hip-hop more press by adding fuel to the fire. Biggie was NOT made to look like a saint, but Puffy was, showing who really had the power in this film. After all, they showed Biggie selling crack to a pregnant woman when the other crack dealers refused on moral grounds.

When it comes to bio-pics, you just hope that they are somewhat accurate, because there's no such thing as a perfectly accurate bio-pic. Cadillac Records was all over the place in its history, so was Walk the Line, Ali, The Babe, Malcolm X and even Milk. But what really matters is that the films show the impact those people had without completely making things up. Notorious succeeded in this manner and gets a 7.5 out of 10 from me. The extra 2.5 points (I give tens to about 1% of movies I see, a ten being a movie I can watch over and over again with the same impact) would have come if it had been a little less generic in its plot-line, if the actors playing Puffy and 2pac were more authentic and if they went into more detail about Junior MAFIA and showed a bit more of the aftermath of Biggie's death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 09:53 AM

657 posts, read 1,631,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Well, they basically made Tupac look like he single-handedly started the fued in a fit of paranoia, and then was a pawn in Suge Knight's game to get hip-hop more press by adding fuel to the fire. Biggie was NOT made to look like a saint, but Puffy was, showing who really had the power in this film. After all, they showed Biggie selling crack to a pregnant woman when the other crack dealers refused on moral grounds.

When it comes to bio-pics, you just hope that they are somewhat accurate, because there's no such thing as a perfectly accurate bio-pic. Cadillac Records was all over the place in its history, so was Walk the Line, Ali, The Babe, Malcolm X and even Milk. But what really matters is that the films show the impact those people had without completely making things up. Notorious succeeded in this manner and gets a 7.5 out of 10 from me. The extra 2.5 points (I give tens to about 1% of movies I see, a ten being a movie I can watch over and over again with the same impact) would have come if it had been a little less generic in its plot-line, if the actors playing Puffy and 2pac were more authentic and if they went into more detail about Junior MAFIA and showed a bit more of the aftermath of Biggie's death.
Great Post

Exactly. Me and my girlfriend talked about the movie (unfortunately we didn't see it together). We agreed that Puffy seemed alittle over characterised. He kept saying all these philosophical lines "We can't change the world unless we change ourselves". Quotes like that don't seem like they would come from Puff. Also in Faith's book she says that her last conversation with Big, they got in an argument and hung up on each other but in the movie the last conversation between the two ended differently. Things like that is why I say it wasn't COMPLETELY accurate (I could go on).

Another thing. I do agree that Pac was in a state of paronoia (Biggie even said it in an interview) and he didn't know who to trust. Of course we all know that Suge Knight bailed him out and put the bug in his ear. I think that was accurate. Of course Pac fans will disagree and say Biggie set him up etc.

Overall, good movie. One of the better hiphop movies I've seen. 4.25/5 mics (lol).

Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,477,894 times
It was better than I thought it would be.
Puff and Faith were a little too innocent.
Bassett screwed the accent.
Whether or not Kim's portrayal was accurate Naturi handled the material she was given well.
Was not feeling Mackie at all.
Alot of stuff just didn't happen that way, but hey its a movie.
I expected to see more about Life After Death.
What happened to Chuck BMore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies