U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 07:50 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 17,339,438 times

Advertisements

Barring any graphically violent or sexually explicit movies, are there any Benicio Del Toro movies along the lines of Excess Baggage? I love Benicio. Excess Baggage was the first movie I'd seen him in and I knew within a few scenes he was going to be a big star. I need some more light-hearted, maybe romantic comedy, comedy/drama or dark comedy type movie recommendations with him in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 04:11 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,905,826 times
I love Beno too, but I don't think he's done anything light-hearted except for Excess Baggage. He was awfully cute and sweet in that movie. I'd love to see more of that - and I bet he'd be open to those types of roles too.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:47 PM

13,071 posts, read 21,205,087 times
If I remember correctly, Alicia Silverstone asked specifically for him to be cast in that role. Really all of his other work has been pretty much a variety of different 'edgy characters' (except maybe his role in Big Top Pee Wee).

Old 02-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
LOL I guess I'll have to check out Big Top Pee Wee then if it's all I can get.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,794,846 times
"Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas", although he's not the star, Depp is, but the movie is laugh our loud funny. If you like Hunter S. Thompson's work.

golfgod

Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
"Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas", although he's not the star, Depp is, but the movie is laugh our loud funny. If you like Hunter S. Thompson's work.

golfgod
I've seen that several times but forgot about it. He put on 40 pounds for that movie. What a wild ride that was. LOL

Old 02-28-2009, 05:11 AM

2,725 posts, read 4,916,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
Barring any graphically violent or sexually explicit movies, are there any Benicio Del Toro movies along the lines of Excess Baggage? I love Benicio. Excess Baggage was the first movie I'd seen him in and I knew within a few scenes he was going to be a big star. I need some more light-hearted, maybe romantic comedy, comedy/drama or dark comedy type movie recommendations with him in them.
Here you go, I love this guy

Silence (2010) not out yet
The Wolf Man (2009) not out yet
Che: Part Two (2008) Still waiting for this one
Che: Part One (2008) ....,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Things We Lost in the Fire (2007) This was ok he can do better, really not that dirty of a movie

Sin City (2005) .... I didn't like this at all, on the Rating R+ side maybe more
21 Grams (2003) This was good
The Hunted (2003) Love this, very good, he is hunted down, sort of violent, the violence is minor compared to others I've seen.
The Pledge (2001) He had a small part, look for the guy they arrested, thats him
Independence Day 2001 (TV) I never saw
Traffic (2000) .... he won academy award
The Way of the Gun (2000) Terrific, Violent Movie !!
Snatch. Small part, I did not like this film
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) The bathtub scene hilarious, but this would be rated R+, i loved it.
Excess Baggage (1997) Loved this one
The Funeral 1996 This is good also, also Christopher Walken and Christopher Penn in this , Mob movie
The Fan (1996) Small part, but he is cute, stars Lauren Bacall I think
Basquiat (1996) Not worth watching, minimal part.
Joyride (1996) I can't remember this one
"Fallen Angels" TV.... Paco , 1995
The Usual Suspects Great Move, R+ very violent, swearing, he has small part
"Tales from the Crypt" ...1994 " The Bribe episode -Bill- I can't seen to catch this on TV
Swimming with Sharks (1994) Seen it, can't remember him
China Moon (1994) Great movie, he's young good part, stars Ed Harris also, detective movie in Hawaii I think
Fearless (1993) Can't remember this well
Huevos de oro (1993) Not worth watching
Money for Nothing (1993) I think John Cusack was in this also as the star of movie
Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992) Stars Marlon Brando Bennie has has a bigger part in this
The Indian Runner (1991) I seen this but can't remember
Madonna: The Immaculate Collection (1990) Never saw this
"Drug Wars: The Camarena Story" (1990) Great TV series, but I can't remember Bennie in this one. I think this won an emmy.

I could be off on a few of these, the early movies he may have had a small part in, but China Moon he is one of the co-stars, worth watching, can't say he is in alot of romance movies, I don't think he picks these types of role, maybe in the future.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,794,846 times
rural lady; nice list. I would suggest you view "Snatch" again. There are so many funny bits in it, although you may need to "brush up on your accents" in order to get them. (I was going to say "brush up on your Cockney", but that would have led to someone paraphrasing Groucho Marx and saying "so get a Cockney and brush up on him".

One great example; Avi (Dennis Farina) after asking a cab driver to take him to London and the driver queries him, "London"?

"Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f'ing Poppins... LONDON".

Also Bullet Tooth Tony (I think it's him) after being told to "open up the dog" to look for the diamond.

"Open 'im up? It's not as if he's a bleeding tin of baked beans you know?"

There is also a ton of movie trivia about "Snatch", lots of it having to do with Guy Ritchie's, also hilarious, "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels".

golfgod

Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,589,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
I love Benicio. Excess Baggage was the first movie I'd seen him in and I knew within a few scenes he was going to be a big star.
I'm so glad this thread was bumped so I could see it. I absolutely love Benicio; he's my favorite actor, actually. I'm like you in that Excess Baggage was the first time I saw him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
One great example; Avi (Dennis Farina) after asking a cab driver to take him to London and the driver queries him, "London"?

"Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f'ing Poppins... LONDON".

Also Bullet Tooth Tony (I think it's him) after being told to "open up the dog" to look for the diamond.

"Open 'im up? It's not as if he's a bleeding tin of baked beans you know?"
And how about when Avi was leaving and he was asked if he had anything to declare?

"Yeah; don't go to London."

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. I enjoyed so many of the characters and that's really one of the requirements for me to love a movie this much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or