Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 06:51 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I spent 8 years in the Navy and now work in building maintenance.

Not all Navy working uniforms are always cleaned and pressed proper. Not all sailors speak so formally unless we're in trouble.

When a building sprinkler goes off, they don't all go off and the water isn't crystal clear. It's dark and stinks to high hell. And when the fire goes out, the sprinkler doesn't shut off. It only stops when one of us shuts the valve.
Building sprinklers are my pet peeve too.

Except for deluge type systems, these are found less than 1% of the time, sprinklers go off one at a time and when just one does go off they put out a lot of water so unlike the lawn sprinkler water portrayals you see in movies.

The most standard head used is the 1/2" sprinkler having a k-factor of 5.6. To find out how much water a single sprinkler will discharge multiply the k-factor by the square root of the water pressure available. If the city is supplying 70 psi then 70^.5*5.6=46.8 gpm which will almost fill a 55 gallon drum in a minute from a single sprinkler. Seeing how it takes nearly a minute to fill a one gallon milk jug from your water faucet you can see how much water that is.

There are specialized sprinklers for high hazard storage facilities that have a k-factor of up to 25.0 and require fire pumps to supply water. These pumps typically produce 130 psi at slightly over churn so 130^.5*25=285 gallons per minute. 285 gpm will fill a 55 gallon drum in under 12 seconds and that's a lot of water and that much water over an area of less than 100 sq. ft. will put a fire out.

Most of the time we use black steel pipe and as the original poster said the water is nasty, nasty, nasty but it still puts the fire out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I worked for the Social Security Administration for 37 years and Hollywood really gives out incorrect information about SSA benefits in movies.

The funniest thing, though, is that my father was a career Air Force pilot. Watching movies with him that dealt with flying an airplane was just hysterical. He would yell at the TV screen "You can't do that, you idiot!"

Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
My in-law has had career long contact with <shhhhhh> SPIES. Says they're the most unassuming, and utterly boring, people you'd ever meet.

I also love how corporate computers all display these swirling, hi-res, bells and whistles animated banner 3D spinning images switchboard screens when you boot up. Niiiiiiiiice...use of resources, that is. Jeez.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I've always lived in a house with real people living in it. Not like movie set kitchens, where the dining table and all counter tops are cleared off and all the dishes are washed and none left to dry in the drainage rack and there no pots and pans on the stove top. The only kitchen faux pas that ever occurs is somebody drinks milk right out of the carton.
Lol...come to our house.

MD - Hollywood does practically everything wrong. And even with simple things that are so easy to get right. I hate medical shows.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times
In the movies, the desk clerk at a hotel never has to answer the phone when checking a guest in. For anyone who's worked as a front desk rep, you know that answering (sometimes incessant)telephone calls and attending people at the desk have to be done at the same time.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:00 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
I was a librarian for 10 years ... need I say more???

Old 05-26-2009, 07:50 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Have you noticed in movies where someone bus something embarrassing like condoms or tampons. Well the Cashier can't ring it up and calls on the loudspeaker "I need a price check on a pack of Trojan Condoms small".

I'm not sure how it is done at everyone else job, but they usually just ask for a carryout and get a bagger to go check the price.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
It's a minor thing to most people but after having served in the military one thing drives me up the wall is actors who can not give a proper hand salute. Some of these salutes by famous actors make me laugh and take me out of the movie, at least for a minute. Sloppy hand movements, bent wrists, hands that come half way up the forehead. Give me a break.
Learn to salute right actors. It ain't that hard to do.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:40 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Fun thread SailorDave!

You mean not all CSI have that wonderful, huge screen peice of technology that they just touch a finger to and the appropriate answers pop up?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Kanhawk, my bro said the same thing when he was just in jROTC. If a high school kid can do it right, how come some douche actor being paid $20 million dollars can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies