Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:07 PM

137 posts, read 424,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashM View Post
Much more than ten movies Lol
I wonder why did you like 'Vertigo'? It seemed pretty boring to me...
The impact of Vertigo is greater if you have someone from your past who continues to haunt your life. It's a psychological, hypnotic, surreal masterpiece and is easily one of the greatest films ever made and I have an emotional attachment to Vertigo that I have for very few other films. Hitchcock was the greatest. 10/10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 06:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times
I consider the ten best movies ever made., to mean the ten movies you would have with you on a deserted isle.

1. First Blood
2. Rocky
3. Old School
4. Bullitt
5. Armageddon
6. Christmas Vacation
7. Halloween
8. Blade Runner
9. Smokey and the Bandit
10. An Officer And A Gentleman

Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Not sure about the best but these are my favorites.

1. The Breakfast Club
2. Conan The Barbarian
3. Fast Times At Ridgemont High
4. Weird Science
5. Pretty In Pink
6. Can't Buy Me Love
7. Red Dawn
8. Vision Quest
9. Three O Clock High
10. Cyborg

Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Don't you remember Flash? They did a helluva lot more than just kick Billy's ass. Maybe you remember the opening scene when Tommy has to pull the car over because of the racket coming from somewhere in the car, from the trunk it turned out, where Billy Batts was still semi-conscious, at least until Tommy stabbed him repeatedly and if I'm not mistaken DeNiro's character shot him a couple times too ... just to be sure.
Yeah, that's right That exactly how it was. I sure remeber it. They killed him. It's probably my English, not perfect
What I liked in that episode at the bar most is that his friends helped him without even saying, 'Are you nuts?'
Later on this murder became a real headache for them. Sure they could guess that it would become a problem but anyways they helped him without even judging him cause they understood that Batts said a lot bad things to Tommy. Batts touched Tommy on a raw spot in a way.
Really great epsiode in that bar. A real quintessence of men's friendship. Don't you think so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Billy Batts, played by Frank Vincent, Phil Leotardo in the Sopranos, Salvie in Raging Bull, right?
Yeah, Scorsese used to star a lot of the same actors, but unfortunatelly I've seen 'Raging Bull' many years ago that's why I don't remeber anybody except De Niro.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwertyFarmer View Post
2. Made in Heaven
Sonds like Queen album from 1995... I gotta watch it then Lol
Could you describe the plot?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
grave of the fireflies
ET
alien
star wars
legend
oldboy
the classic
akira
last samurai
empire of the sun
Alien is good no doubt but Oldboy... Ugh, it's disgusting, some people may throw up watching this flick. Why did you like it?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
The impact of Vertigo is greater if you have someone from your past who continues to haunt your life.
Somebody does haunt you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmuta View Post
The impact of Vertigo is greater if you have someone from your past who continues to haunt your life. It's a psychological, hypnotic, surreal masterpiece and is easily one of the greatest films ever made and I have an emotional attachment to Vertigo that I have for very few other films. Hitchcock was the greatest. 10/10
Film is good no doubt. If we talking about psychological and surreal movies than it's really classic. Though I belive it doesn't seem to be as good as at the time it was released. I could not even sit thru entire movie cause it was pretty boring to me. It's sure not of my fav Hitchcock movie Lol

Anyway, do you remember the beginning of 'Matrix' movie? Some guys were chasing Trinity on the roof. I guess Wachowski brothers stole this fragment from 'Vertigo' where was the very same beginning Agree?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
2. Conan The Barbarian
Good old-fashioned one where we can see Arnie being a really great bodybuilder. And the girl with him is very cute.
One of the first movies with Arnie.
6 FOOT 3, do you remember his first movie called like 'Hercules in New York' or something?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:03 AM

261 posts, read 944,088 times
[quote=FlashM;8049839]Sonds like Queen album from 1995... I gotta watch it then Lol
Could you describe the plot?[/quote

Not sure what your reference means, but this movie was so touching to me. Timothy Hutton is on his was to California, (watch who his parents are), this movie is filled with cameos galore. While driving he comes upon a car that has veered off the road into some water. He stops jumps out and runs over, he sees a child and someone still trapped in the car. Without a second thought he dives into the water and frees the person in the car, while they are swimming to shore you do not see Timothy Hutton come back to the surface. Instead, he then appears in a cloud like room and is greated by an aunt he excitedly hugs and is surprised to see because she has been dead for years. Click, now the movie begins.

Timothy Hutton is introduced around heaven to a variety of people and amazing sights. Watch again for the cameos, and early appearances of current actors. He meets Kelly McGillus, they fall in love and are to be married in Heaven, all seems perfect, until Kelly M. gets notice of her soul being sent to earth soon. Having been born in heaven she is excited to soon become a new soul, Timothy H. is heartbroken and demands from Emmett, God's sort of go to guy, played by I think Muriel Hemmingway, that he should return to earth too to find his love. Emmett first tells him there is no way, then he says he will give Timothy H. 20 years and if he doesnt find her he never will. He then paces back and forth more and says he will give Timothy H. 25 years, if he does not find her, he never will. So to be clear Emmett says there is no guarantee he will find her, and that if he does not find her in 30 years, he never will. (I was so impressed by Emmett, I named my cat after him) Timothy Hutton is also sent back to earth and now you watch how their individual lives over 30 years are so different and how close they come to each other so many times, and then you are so mesmerized by the cameos(Tom Petty) and wether he will find her, I was sad and happy when the movie ended. The music is awesome too, there are some tracks by LadySmith Black Mambazo(spelling?) who did back up for Paul Simon during the 80's. I am not much of a chick flick kind of chick, but damn this movie almost makes me cry just telling people about it. I though it was just awesome. By the way, it was over ten years after I saw the movie that I found out the character Emmett was played by a woman, I had already named my boy cat,lol. In the credits the movie says Emmett was played by Emmett. I hope you all see this film and have a special place in your heart for it afterwords. Enjoy

Old 03-26-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Not sure what your reference means
'Made In Heaven' is a pretty popular album of the band 'Queen'. It was released in 1995 after Freddie Mercury's death.

Thanks for detailed explanation.
Sounds pretty alluring
Anyway, what's the genre? Comedy? Love story? Tragedy?

Quote:

(I was so impressed by Emmett, I named my cat after him)

I found out the character Emmett was played by a woman, I had already named my boy cat,lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies