Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:16 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,336 times

Advertisements

I don't pay attention to critics at all, and haven't for years. There's a local critic around here who, IMO, has horrible taste in movies and my mother will just soak up whatever he says and because of it she's been very disappointed by some bad movies.
I also don't want someone else's view to get in the way of my own, which is why if I haven't seen a movie yet and my friends and coworkers have I'll ask them not to say anything at all about it so I can make my own decisions completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:42 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Shakespeare In Love, Annie Hall, American Beauty and Far From Heaven are four craptacular movies that come immediately to mind.

A lot of the Little Lord Fauntleroys live and work in major cities and disdain anything traditional, suburban or rural unless those things are portrayed negatively in the movie. Then they love it. It thrills me to no end to see something they've panned do really well at the box office.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:44 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
LOL
I actually enjoyed The Dark Knight, and I don't need or particularly want likable characters, pleasant subject matter, or a feel-good vibe in order to love a movie.
I have never liked any Batman movie but I thought the last one was highly entertaining.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM

515 posts, read 1,330,221 times
Brokeback Mountain!

I couldn't stand that movie. I thought it was a sensationalized piece of crap.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Pan's Labyrinth. Praised to the hilt by the critics. Got an amazing 98 out 100 on Metacritic. Found it dreary and disappointing and boring. Critics are especially unreliable when reviewing foreign films.
Another overpraised foreign film Cache(Hidden).

Old 04-11-2009, 10:14 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I didn't care for Dark Knight. There Will Be Blood was so grey it became boring, maybe they should have called it There Will Be Dreary Depression. No Country For Old Men should have been titled No Movie For Normie. A lot of the movies about british royalty that get rave reviews put me to sleep.

One movie I love that got terrible reviews is Blast From The Past. OK, the script isn't brilliant but it's just so much fun and you can tell the actors really enjoyed making this film. Sissy Spacek is particularly hilarious.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:03 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Two come to mind for recent viewings:

Tropic Thunder: We re-named it Tropic Blunder.
Wheel of Time: Although I think Buddhism is a fascinating religion, this documentary put me to sleep. Again re-named, to Waste of Time.

Agreed that any movies about British Royalty are just soooooooo...[yawn], sleep-inducing.

p.s. Didn't agree with the comments about American Beauty. Keeping in mind that appreciation of movies is "different strokes for different folks", my personal opinion was that this movie approaches perfection.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:45 PM

266 posts, read 911,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
One movie I love that got terrible reviews is Blast From The Past. OK, the script isn't brilliant but it's just so much fun and you can tell the actors really enjoyed making this film. Sissy Spacek is particularly hilarious.
I have a lot of movies like that -- ones that I liked that critics panned. One of my favorites is "Vanilla Sky"--too dark to appeal to many audiences as well, but I thought it was involving, well-done and interesting. "The Passion of the Christ" didn't deserve some of the "best movie ever" comments it got, but it certainly didn't deserve the jeers and various accusations it received either--it was also very well-done. We recently rented "Deja Vu" with Denzel Washington, another panned movie, and really enjoyed that. "The Life of David Gale" was another dismissed movie that was pretty decent. I could go on and on, but those are just a few that come to mind offhand.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,262,001 times
HANDS DOWN! The Sixth Sense! this could be among the most over-rated movies ever. and the pay-off at the end is not; i repeat; not worth the two hours of bordom.

i know how a lot of movies are slow paced and deserve a second chance. a lot of my favorite movies are that way: Unforgiven, Fire in the Sky, Unbreakable...

so i gave this movie a second chance and it was just as boring and over-rated as it seemed the first time i saw it. the Sixth Sense sucks.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:33 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,263,704 times
My list:

Beaches
Gladiator (I didn't HATE it, but it was way overrated)
Beaches
Traffic (I didn't HATE it, but it was way overrated)
Beaches
The Cider House Rules
Beaches
Titanic (I didn't HATE it, but it was way overrated)
Beaches

And especially Beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies