Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:28 PM

22,891 posts, read 28,167,543 times

Advertisements

I loved it.

The cast was perfect. They managed to nail the characters without simply doing impressions of the previous actors. And I liked Uhura a lot. Too many times in the old Trek, her role was relegated to, "Hailing frequences open, Captain." This movie gave her not only a role, but an important one.

My only complaint was that I thought they were trying too hard to tie it into the old Trek. I would've been just as happy with a total reset without explanation. But it was still great.

I did catch one editing error in the movie though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:30 PM

I did find this a funny point:

My Favorite Movie (Star Trek vs. Star Wars) - CollegeHumor Video

Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,189,169 times
Went to see Star Trek a couple weeks ago...don't usually get too into Sci Fi even though Star Trek came out on TV when I was a kid. This movie was fabulous!!! My friend thought so, too. For at least a week afterwards, I kept thinking about the movie as little tidbits would float through my memory. Really appreciated the way Spock and the Captain worked out their differences. It was a win-win for them and for me

Old 05-21-2009, 12:42 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,302,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I did catch one editing error in the movie though.
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

I caught a couple. The most obvious one to me, which I noticed the first time around, was when Kirk and Sulu are on the drill. Kirk is dangling from the edge, holding on with his RIGHT hand. (His left hand had been stomped on by his Romulan foe.) Sulu comes to his rescue and says, "Give me your hand!" The next scene shows Kirk hanging on with his LEFT hand, while his right hand is locked with Sulu and Sulu is helping to drag him back onto the platform.

Another minor editing goof takes place near the end. Kirk has been fighting with Nero on board the Narada. Nero has been called away and has left Kirk to be dealt with by his 2nd-in-command, Ayel. Kirk jumps onto a platform in an effort to escape Ayel. We see him land, his body dangling off the platform. In front of him, on the ground, is a gun, the handle turned toward him. Then Ayel leaps onto the platform, hoists Kirk into the air. Kirk says, "I've got your gun!", shoots Ayel, then drops the gun. Ayel drops him and Kirk is dangling from the platform once more...with the gun once more in front of him, although this time it's positioned differently. Certainly not a big goof, but one I noticed.

One thing I definitely noticed and approved of was that the makeup people never seemed to lose track of Kirk's injuries. In the scene when he and Scotty are in the water-tube room, Kirk's left hand is shown and it's clearly red and damaged across the top...from having been stomped on by that Romulan, presumably. And there's a scene near the end when you can still see the marks on his throat from where Spock nearly choked him to death several scenes earlier.

Here's a random question: How do they designate rank on the uniforms of the women who are wearing the short-sleeved dress uniform? With the long-sleeved shirts that the men (and some of the women) wore, the rank is designated by the silver bands near the cuff. Chekhov, as an Ensign, has no band. Sulu, as a lieutenant, has one silver band. Bones is the doctor and they never really say his rank, but he's wearing one fat band and one thin band, denoting his rank as lieutenant commander. Spock, as commander, has two fat bands. And Pike, as captain, has a fat band, then a thin band, then a second fat band. (Which you also see on Kirk's uniform in the final scene when he's sitting in the captain's chair.)

Old 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER

Another minor editing goof takes place near the end. Kirk has been fighting with Nero on board the Narada. Nero has been called away and has left Kirk to be dealt with by his 2nd-in-command, Ayel. Kirk jumps onto a platform in an effort to escape Ayel. We see him land, his body dangling off the platform. In front of him, on the ground, is a gun, the handle turned toward him. Then Ayel leaps onto the platform, hoists Kirk into the air. Kirk says, "I've got your gun!", shoots Ayel, then drops the gun. Ayel drops him and Kirk is dangling from the platform once more...with the gun once more in front of him, although this time it's positioned differently. Certainly not a big goof, but one I noticed.
That's the same one I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies