Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 03:10 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

Small Spoiler alert!!!!

Just watched it and loved it. Seen all the original episodes and that of the next gen. This seemed to bring homage to it and I enjoyed that everything we knew is now different. Loved the ending especially Leonard Nimoy saying the Star Trek theme. Choked me and my wife up a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:33 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
I totally loved this Star Trek. I confess I didn't think I would until I did see it. It was well written. It held my attention. It was funny and action packed. I thought all of the actors put in strong performances. I loved young Spock. Although I thought the Romulans looked liked drug-crazed modern day skinheads. What's up with that? Oh well that even that worked in the movie. I would recommend seeing this movie. It did not betray the original Star Trek series. The move took you too an alternate reality and told an original story. I have seen this movie three times and can't wait to see it again. This is a must see movie!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
WARNING: THERE BE SPOILERS - very mild ones

Yes, 40+ years of Trek canon are now for naught.
Star Trek Canon was for naught beginning with the first season;

"See, people can easily catch us, and say "well, wait a minute, in 'Balance of Terror', they knew that the Romulans had a cloaking device, and then in 'The Enterprise Incident', they don't know anything about cloaking devices, but they're gonna steal this one because it's obviously just been developed, so how the hell do you explain that?" We can't. There are some things we just can't explain, especially when it comes from the third season. So, yes, third season is canon up to the point of contradiction, or where it's just so bad... you know, we kind of cringe when people ask us, "well, what happened in 'Plato's Stepchildren', and 'And the Children Shall Lead', and 'Spock's Brain', and so on — it's like, please, he wasn't even producing it at that point. But, generally, [canon is] the original series, not really the animated, the first movie to a certain extent, the rest of the films in certain aspects but not in all... I know that it's very difficult to understand. It literally is point by point. I sometimes do not know how he's going to answer a question when I go into his office, I really do not always know, and — and I know it better probably than anybody, what it is that Gene likes and doesn't like."

Richard Arnold, Star Trek: The Next Generation research consultant and Star Trek archivist, 1991 interview with Tim Lynch.

Another thing that makes canon a little confusing. Gene R. himself had a habit of decanonizing things. He didn't like the way the animated series turned out, so he proclaimed that it was not canon. He also didn't like a lot of the movies. So he didn't much consider them canon either. And – okay, I'm really going to scare you with this one – after he got TNG going, he... well... he sort of decided that some of The Original Series wasn't canon either. I had a discussion with him once, where I cited a couple things that were very clearly canon in The Original Series, and he told me he didn't think that way anymore, and that he now thought of TNG as canon wherever there was conflict between the two. He admitted it was revisionist thinking, but so be it.

Paula Block, VCP Senior Director of Licensed Publishing, TrekBBS posts, December 2005.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Back to the movie...

Personally the only character in the new movie that worked on my nerves was Spock (does Zachary Qunito have a lisp or was I hearing things?).

I thought that the whole cast was over the top, which is fine because the entire original cast, except Uhura, was over the top, so much so, as to make the argument meaningless - any one recall Shaftner's reading of soliloquy on democracy in episode #128 "Errand of Mercy", "Eee Pluuuura bus Uuuunum. We... the Pe Pol!"? How could anyone beat that for ham handed acting?

I thought both Urban, Pine and Pegg were truer to the spirit of the characters than anyone else on the set.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Default This is worth renting

I think it was quite good, excellent special effects and amusing to see the young versions of Spock, Kirk, McCoy (really spot on!), Scotty & so on.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:19 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Just got in from seeing the movie. 3.9 stars out of 4.

I am not a trekkie per se, but I do remember watching star trek in the early-mid 60's and being young enough so that the very first time I saw it, it was pretty scary.

Guess I must've been about 5 or so.

Now, this movie is head and shoulders above what I expected. I really liked all the characters portrayals.

Good story. The alternate universe did not seem like a cop out to me, because I remember reading some star trek paperbacks, and the writer of the original series was quite a writer with a great imagination. So the alternate universe is something that would be plausible in one his paperbacks.

Now, SPOCK and Ohura, get a room!

That's what I don't like. What made Spock such an effective character and the best science officer was his keeping his emotions in check. His striving for "logic".....not emotion.

This Uhura thing seems forced. Maybe it's to give Uhura something to do. But I don't like this new twist.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
I loved this movie, and maybe part of that was being so Trek deprived for so long!

I thought Chris Pine did a great job as Capt. Kirk. He was so much like William Shatner it was scary, yet he carried himself well enough that his own contributions to the character showed through.

***Spoiler***

Spock was too emotional and the Spock and Uhura thing was awful. Still, it was close enough to the originial Spock to be good. The meeting between the old and new Spocks was cool too. I heard that Leonard Nimoy told Zachary Quinto that he has no idea what he is in for when he signed up as Spock-lol!

Scotty seemed off to me too. Scotty, in the original, was always a bit more dignified and came across as very much in charge. No problems leaving him in control of the Enterprise! But this Scotty seemed like he was on a fun vacation trip instead of the Chief Engineer on a starship.

Did anyone notice that the movie lighting was a bit strong? I read that one of the producers decided it would add something to the film to flash a light into the camera on certain scenes. It came across a bit much though and I found myself squinting during the movie.

But those points are the only things I could find about the movie that I didn't care for. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic first effort to revitilize the Star Trek franchise. The movie drew me in and kept my attention the whole time. I thought it had tons of action yet a great story line. It introduced the Star Trek story to everyone, yet gave respect to the real Trekkies and the history there. An almost impossible job done very well!

Old 12-11-2009, 04:20 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,545,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
I loved this movie, and maybe part of that was being so Trek deprived for so long!

I thought Chris Pine did a great job as Capt. Kirk. He was so much like William Shatner it was scary, yet he carried himself well enough that his own contributions to the character showed through.

***Spoiler***

Spock was too emotional and the Spock and Uhura thing was awful. Still, it was close enough to the originial Spock to be good. The meeting between the old and new Spocks was cool too. I heard that Leonard Nimoy told Zachary Quinto that he has no idea what he is in for when he signed up as Spock-lol!

Scotty seemed off to me too. Scotty, in the original, was always a bit more dignified and came across as very much in charge. No problems leaving him in control of the Enterprise! But this Scotty seemed like he was on a fun vacation trip instead of the Chief Engineer on a starship.

Did anyone notice that the movie lighting was a bit strong? I read that one of the producers decided it would add something to the film to flash a light into the camera on certain scenes. It came across a bit much though and I found myself squinting during the movie.

But those points are the only things I could find about the movie that I didn't care for. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic first effort to revitilize the Star Trek franchise. The movie drew me in and kept my attention the whole time. I thought it had tons of action yet a great story line. It introduced the Star Trek story to everyone, yet gave respect to the real Trekkies and the history there. An almost impossible job done very well!

I didn't think Pine was anything like Shatner's Kirk. It was too CW Network for me.....

I thought the ship should be brighter with the lighting. The original series was not dim and drab like the movies Wrath of Khan etc......

I don't know why they made the ship so dim.... but I like this brighter ship.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
it was the best movie of 09 it had a great story line and awsome action I wonder if it will win any awards

Old 12-11-2009, 06:12 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,315,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
it was the best movie of 09 it had a great story line and awsome action I wonder if it will win any awards
I do think it deserves some nominations. There are so many great points about it: the acting, direction, etc. But the music blows me away. It's such an integral part of the movie from the opening sequence. That whole scene is operatic, but especially the part where Winona Kirk is giving birth in the shuttle and you can see her screaming through the delivery, but all you hear is the music. But there are many places like that throughout the film where the music adds to the tension or the scene. That whole movie would have been just so much LESS without the music.

Another bit that blew me away was the sound. It's just spot-on.

The editing, too. And...I don't know if it's part of the editing or not, but just the bits that they added to keep things consistent and realistic. Like...the scene when Spock is thrashing Kirk and is choking him against the navigation console. When Spock finally releases Kirk, you can see this flush of red in the shape of Spock's hand appear on Kirk's neck. Until I watched the DVD commentary (with Abrams et al), I thought that Zachary Quinto must have truly been choking Chris Pine. But Abrams reveals that they added that afterwards. That kind of attention to detail is part of what made the movie really excellent for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies