U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 03:28 AM

8,584 posts, read 4,603,667 times

Advertisements

First Knight
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113071/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It was Swords & Clubs Monday and this was the selection, proceeded by the 1st episode of "Wizards and Warriors". It's a decent movie though Richard Gere has never been high on my list of actors, so that took a little to get by that. The dialogue was a little bit muddled so I tried to go to the subtitles but alas on my DVD, they were available only in Spanish and Korean, so I had to opt for the Spanish for bits and pieces of further understanding.

It is something of a cliff hanger movie with twists and turns through out. I was entertained.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 07:29 AM

16,037 posts, read 19,904,512 times
I scored a bunch of dvd's at an estate sale a few weekends ago, got around to the Star Trek stuff. Watched "The Wrath Of Khan" last night. Loved it!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:47 PM

9,523 posts, read 5,488,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I scored a bunch of dvd's at an estate sale a few weekends ago, got around to the Star Trek stuff. Watched "The Wrath Of Khan" last night. Loved it!
You went straight to the meat of it!

Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM

25,877 posts, read 44,122,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That sounds like a great documentary. I canít believe she left Harvard for him, but it makes sense I guess. Couldnít they just commute for the one year? Oh well, I guess Columbia is good. I definitely understand him following her to DC for the Supreme Court. Thatís the pinnacle.
Maybe if they had not had a child, they could have worked it out--but I am sure the desire to keep a family together was important--Marty from what the documentary said was doing all the cooking because she is/was very bad cook--
Boston/NY commute was likely more difficult back then but could still be done if they had just been a couple--
Maybe she and he were concerned if his cancer came back--his cancer was very aggressive--wonder that he lived considering how primative radiation and other treatments were

I think RBG also had to spend an extra year at Columbia (she had already had two at Harvard because she didn't make the Law Journal until her second year) and then two at Columbia--so she made big sacrifice to make that move---
She is one of the few SC justices NOT to have law degree from Yale or Harvard--
Supposedly Trump will likely choose his new target outside those hallowed halls--
Proving he is not part of the "Washington establishment" by doing so--

Old 07-03-2018, 05:53 PM

8,584 posts, read 4,603,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Can just imagine what my estate sale will be like when my time comes.

So-o, did you watch the theater version (please, oh please) or the director's cut? IMHO the latter is a demonstration that sometimes the director's cut is worse than the former.

On thread topic, it was "The Little Drummer Girl" (1984)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087629/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

I was walking by a packed box, there was the VHS, it's "DIE, SPY!" Tuesday (1st 2 episodes of Hogan's Heroes), so I put it in the slot.

Only half way through it, but so far, so good. Two things, however.

First, it helps to have lived during that time to be able to appreciate what the movie is showing. Secondly, in 1984, Diane Keaton wasn't that well known, there wasn't that much known about her, so it was probably easier to accept her in that part in the movie. As it is, though, it is over 30 years later, she has done many more roles, I've read her book, and now, there are flickers between accepting the character and seeing the actress.

This is an issue I have with the two versions of "The Debt" where the first is an unknown foreign cast and it is an excellent spy flick. The latter version with Helen Mirren, however, and the movie in my view becomes more about her in the lead and less about the movie.

IMHO.........

Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 PM

Saw "the Hunter" Tommy Lee Jones and Benecio Del toro--directed by William Frediking
Del toro is military killer trained by jones---sort of like Rambo and Richard crenna's character
Del toro kills hunters in Oregon Forrest and Jones tracks him and FBI captures him
Del toro escapes, big chase in and out of town by Jones and many police/FBI
CONNIE Nielsen plays the FBI agent--not big part

There are some of the worse, most realistic fighting scenes between Jones and Del Toro--knife fights--slashing
Gruesome and painful
Doesn't end well needless to say

Old 07-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Watched the end of "Inglorius bastards" and then finished by watching next playing from beginning
They all look so young--
Diane Krueger was luminous--
Seeing her in "the bridge" just makes me so aware of time passing
Same w/Fassbinder

Old 07-04-2018, 02:35 AM

1,156 posts, read 681,278 times
"Experimenter" on Netflix.

A bit unusual in terms of how it was filmed, but I found that made it rather unique. A really interesting story about American psychologist Stanley Milgram and the controversial social experiments he conducted.

Old 07-04-2018, 05:02 PM

24,750 posts, read 14,066,387 times
In theaters:
The First Purge (2018)

On TV:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Old 07-04-2018, 07:50 PM

9,523 posts, read 5,488,342 times
Sicario 2 - 2/10.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or