Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2011, 11:55 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,546 times

Advertisements

Sherlock Holmes 2.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,043 times
Van Helsing - hmmm, okay. 3 out of 5 points.
Fast and Furious Five - better than I expected. 4 out of 5 points.
Black Swan - really disapointing. 0.5 out of 5 points.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 PM

38,856 posts, read 22,845,735 times
I really don't watch movies in the theater since it's so expensive. The last movie I saw in the theater was "The Blind Side" two years ago with my co-workers in my department from my last job (our boss treated us, which was a nice Christmas present ).

The last movie I watched (borrowed the DVD from the library) was "Definitely Maybe."

Old 12-24-2011, 08:41 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,732,469 times
Watched "Shane" just last night.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:24 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
On the Edge of innocence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Edge_of_Innocence

Old 12-25-2011, 06:07 PM

351 posts, read 632,375 times
Watched The Five People You Meet in Heaven last night. Good movie.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,687,487 times
Watched "The King Of Kings" last night.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times
Saw "Girl w/Dragon Tattoo" on Christmas Eve with 2 others. I generally don't have the same view as most critics & this is no exception. All of us didn't like it.

The beginning rape scenes were unpleasantly, unnecessarily graphic. The poor girl's animalistic writhing & primal screams are still imbedded in my brain. In fact, my 2 male companions responded that the scenes went on too long & were far too brutal. Yes, I know it's part of the story, but the audience would most certainly grasp the horror of it sans that kind of explicitness. And, yes, I know it's a David Fincher flick.

Overall, these were our thoughts...

The lead actress, Rooney Mara, played her role beautifully, although be forewarned if you're not familiar with the book this movie is based on, her character is a sullen, somewhat disturbed, abused girl with understandable inner rage.

Surprisingly, Daniel Craig played a character who just didn't shine on screen. Acting choice? Bad directing? Don't know, but it did him & the movie no justice. My mate said he looked as if they woke him up prior to filming each scene... & we're both Craig fans.

The plot was a bit rushed in key places when it should have been slowed & flushed out to better reveal motive or information. (Don't want to elaborate to prevent accidentally revealing spoilers to those who may see it.)

Robin Wright is the most uninteresting actress ever, at least in this role. She was aptly given mousy brown hair to match her lack of appeal. To put it best, one of my mates said "Why was she in the movie?" Umm, perhaps she's a friend of Fincher?? Fortunately, her role is small.

Too slow moving in places, too rushed in others, too long to get to the bleedin' conclusion, which was more akin to a blockbuster Hollywood ending.

The best part of the movie was the NIN soundtrack, one of my favorite bands (not for everyone, I realize). We all commented throughout that the music trumped the film.

Fincher was a disappointment... I was expecting to be scared or on the edge of my seat at least part of the time... neither applied. It fell flat & the characters, scenery & plot maintained a dark grimness for no discernable reason.

Well, that's what we 3 say. If you love the Stieg Larsson trilogy, you may want to see it. If you have to see every movie Craig or Fincher do, you'll want to see it. If you're looking to be entertained on an evening out at the movie theatre, you probably won't love it, but may possibly like it.

2.5 out of 5 stars.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:38 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times
"Godfather" and "Godfather Part II" on Christmas Day... 2 of our Christmas present DVDs. Haven't seen either since I was a teen. Forgot most of the stories & characters in both & loved both!

It was a kick to spot a handful of better known actors today, like Dominic Chianese (Junior in the Sopranos) & Harry Dean Stanton (one of the court scene extras), as well as those I've seen in similar small parts in future mob movies. Note: How is it that Abe Vigoda still looked 90-yrs old 40-yrs ago? Dominic did, as well & had only slightly more hair.

Nicely done movies. The music is a bit theatrical in some places in today's venue & the darkness of most shots does get visually cumbersome for someone like me who wears glasses during all waking hours... my occasional squinting & scowling whilst straining to see faces prompted my SO to ask if I were doing my Don Corleone impression... but overall these films really aren't dated in cinematography style.

A+ to both. I'll be listening to the director's commentaries today whilst working. I'm sure they'll be as entertaining since I've heard Francis speak before & he's enormously interesting.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:34 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,566,526 times
We had a marathon week watching all 4 seasons of "The Tudors" and although I had to skip a lot of graphic scenes due to the young ones, Jonathan Rhys Meyers' portrayal as king Henry the 8th was absolutely worth noting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.