Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 01:31 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,211,140 times

Advertisements

MIB 3 , and it was a real WINNER!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,415,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post

[color=darkred]Hahaha. I'm surprised to hear Shame wasn't emotionally compelling, because from the outtakes & interviews I've seen, it seems very much so. Then again, that's what Hollywood's supposed to do, reel us in, take our $10. I've found that sometimes happens with a movie everyone hypes... the buildup is so sensational, the movie can't live up to it & I've walked out of more than a few supposed blockbusters with a shrug, feeling it was okay at best & that I enjoyed the buttery popcorn more.

I'm still going to try Shame, at least for the esthetic value.
The movie is probably better than someone like me gives it credit for, I'm a bit jaded having known real people with the addiction. For many others that have and will see Shame, I think they might find it quite compelling, it has depth and some very powerful scenes to make it worth viewing.

As far as Seinfeld, I couldn't stand George's screen time either. I, also, very much enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm

Old 07-08-2012, 02:59 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,316,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
The movie is probably better than someone like me gives it credit for, I'm a bit jaded having known real people with the addiction. For many others that have and will see Shame, I think they might find it quite compelling, it has depth and some very powerful scenes to make it worth viewing.
I quite understand. We do have far differing feelings to characters & plots based on our own experiences. I've sometimes found it hard to sympathize with certain character types & would prefer they'd endure a good swift Doc Marten steel toe to the rump, twice.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I quite understand. We do have far differing feelings to characters & plots based on our own experiences. I've sometimes found it hard to sympathize with certain character types & would prefer they'd endure a good swift Doc Marten steel toe to the rump, twice.
I had great sympathy for Fassbender's character, just something was lacking for me in the acting, I don't know, maybe I need to watch it again you know, just to see all I missed . Also, learning from my encounter with a guy with similar predicament, I understood how tormented he was, so I wouldn't make negative judgement about the character for having such an illness. But once recognizing there's an issue and not doing what needs to be done to handle it, yes a steel toe Doc Marten would surely be in order.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:18 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,527,426 times
Monsieur Lazhar

Old 07-09-2012, 07:53 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,140,236 times
Too hot out to do much so watched two movies yesterday.

Machete. Time I'll never get back. At least I didn't watch the entire thing.

Kind of a Funny Story.--Different. Ok, not great. A kid gets depressed, gets admitted for a couple days to a psych ward, realizes those people have real problems and he doesn't. What a shock. Nice to see Zack Galifinakis play something besides the wonderfully annoying characters he is so capable of playing.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:13 AM

1,777 posts, read 2,367,382 times
Cedar Rapids

Old 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,316,027 times
Not doing so well with movies lately. Attempted to watch a few, which for me were flops.

The Beaver with Mel Gibson sounded interesting & different via the reviews, however the plot was just too silly for me. I sat through the first 20-min, then skipped through the rest of the film in another 10. I disliked the characters, story & the way Mel decided to play the puppet with the over-the-top, bad, quasi-Cockney-Aussie accent. Doesn't help that I really dislike something about Jodie Foster. Her uptight, pinched face is annoying to me & I can see how she'd drive any man to want to talk to his imaginary friend.

I found it difficult to be sympathetic to Mel's character, but that might be simply a case of personal life & verbal assault tapes in the headlines overshadowing the movie. I'd give it no stars, but I guess it's not fair since I didn't watch the entire film.

Once again, Jodie helped ruin the day in Polanski's Carnage. I really wanted to like this one & love virtually all of Polanski's movies. The 4 characters were so unlikable, I didn't care what happened to any of them. Kate Winslet's (who I normally adore) ridiculously uptight, angry, over-emphasized American accent was distracting & once again, Jodie's pinched face & uptight, neurotic, bordering on hysterical character was one of the most unlikable in recent memory. That's all important, as the movie is more akin to a play as it's virtually shot in 1 room & a bit throughout 1 apartment. I just hated this script & again, FF through 80-min in 30. I know everyone loves this one... scratching my head as to why.

The Good Doctor was my next choice, as I was home ill with a stomach flu & needed a distraction. I normally find Orlando Bloom to be likeable, charming & having charisma... not so here. This film was so odd, I had to read reviews in an attempt to figure out the plot. Since I'd never heard of it, it must have skipped through theatres quickly last year. I still don't grasp the motivation of this character or his patient.

Bloom is supposed to be a menacing, manipulative character, but with his silly hairstyle complete with girl-fringe & bad, pasty skin making him look all of 15, I just didn't feel anything menacing coming from him. Add in the Lolita-ish, slightly creepy (not scary creepy, but creepy as in 'eeuwwwww') plotline around the girl who is 18, according to the blurbs... I thought she was 16 as she was in highschool & carried around a daily diary... well, I just didn't know what she was acting out... was she being flirty or naive... did she have a crush or was she just more extroverted around the character. There was more eeuwwww factor with Bloom's co-worker who's onto him & the girl's father with whom I thought they were building an inappropriate relationship side plot twist... turns out they weren't, the actor is just beyond creepy.

The movie was billed as a thriller, but someone forgot to put the thrill in it. I wasn't on the edge of my seat... except that I wanted to walk out on this film... even for a moment, Bloom acted as if his only direction was to be boring & to subtract every inch of charisma from his character & it dragged on in a tedious way... long scenes of Bloom walking through halls or rummaging through meds cabinets.

Again, 0 out of 5 stars for all 3. Either the stomach flu makes all things creative not so or I just had 3 duds this weekend.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Not doing so well with movies lately. Attempted to watch a few, which for me were flops.

Once again, Jodie helped ruin the day in Polanski's Carnage. I really wanted to like this one & love virtually all of Polanski's movies. The 4 characters were so unlikable, I didn't care what happened to any of them. Kate Winslet's (who I normally adore) ridiculously uptight, angry, over-emphasized American accent was distracting & once again, Jodie's pinched face & uptight, neurotic, bordering on hysterical character was one of the most unlikable in recent memory. That's all important, as the movie is more akin to a play as it's virtually shot in 1 room & a bit throughout 1 apartment. I just hated this script & again, FF through 80-min in 30. I know everyone loves this one... scratching my head as to why.

Again, 0 out of 5 stars for all 3. Either the stomach flu makes all things creative not so or I just had 3 duds this weekend.
I do understand how you feel about Carnage, because several times, I almost pulled the video out, but I just kept watching anyway and ended up with a twisted feeling of enjoyment. Can't explain why, it was annoying, and yes all the characters irked me to no end, but for some reason, I wasn't able to turn away. Like I said in a previous review, reminds me so much of my visits to many of the threads on this site. I absolutely wanted to strangle the characters in the movie. I too wondered, when are they going to leave this darn room. The movie will grate on most people's nerves, it did mine, but I found layers in the personalities that kept me interested to see how it was going to play out. Added note: I think more than anything, I have a deep seeded need to understand the mindset of how these kinds of personalities come to their conclusions about things. More than anything, I was facinated with their neuroticisms and pompousness.

Keep your reviews coming, I do enjoy reading your take on the movies.

Last edited by TRosa; 07-09-2012 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Added note

Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,656,731 times
Frozen (2010) - IMDb

I liked this movie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies