Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM

737 posts, read 1,145,240 times

Advertisements

The Buccanneer with Fredrich March and a young Anthony Quinn. 1934 and still enjoyable.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM

8,737 posts, read 9,432,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Saw the Bourne Legacy yesterday. It was alright. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen the rest of them though.
Saw it today; I think it might be better, for some to see this one without having experienced the greatness of the first two, three was OK. Then again, some relevant points were made to the originals. Legacy was pretty decent, just not anywhere near as good as the earlier versions. I'm not a fan of the actor in this new Legacy series; I was hoping I wouldn't feel that way after seeing the movie, but I still haven't warmed up to him in or out of character.

ACK!, think I watched too many shoot em up movies today, am so burned out on them, had a difficult time enjoying Safe House, just toooooooo much shooting, fighting after watching Bourne and then DayBreakers followed by SH. My head is spinning. Wish someone had spoiled the part about Denzel, I might have passes . Anyhoo, looking forward to Denzel's movie that's coming out on the big screen soon.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,367,617 times
magic mike (just for the eye candy) and TED

Old 08-11-2012, 10:25 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,694,125 times
Tales From Earthsea. Excellent artwork, and I feel like I should have really loved it. But I don't know, there's just something missing. I understand it was Gorō Miyazaki's first film as director, and I guess I've just become used to his father's work, which is pretty much always fantastic. I have to give him credit for it, though; it certainly wasn't bad, by any means, and his father's reputation will be incredibly difficult if not impossible to live up to.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 710 times
[url=http://www.blueskybrazil.com/information/property-brazil-where-to-look/]last week I saw a movie named "Mr.beans Holiday" starring by Rawan Atkinson Which Was really enjoyable.[/url]

Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 AM

3,165 posts, read 1,151,595 times
"Margaret" after sitting through that, makes you wish you were hit by that bus. (opening scene, bus accident)

Old 08-12-2012, 11:24 AM

8,263 posts, read 13,350,140 times
The Hunter with Willem Defoe. Slow movie but it was a good movie. Beautiful scenery!
Safe House with Denzel. It was entertaining, good action and also interesting to see parts of South Africa, a locale that is not common in movies. I don't think highly of Ryan Reynolds as an actor but he did an OK job too.
The plot is all-too-common "corrupt and sinister government officials/office" type action-drama similar to Bourne Identity series.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:39 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,329,093 times
Savages. What I loved was John Travolta. I adored the loveable smarminess of his character, which he pulled off with charm & a cocky walk, loved that he's confident enough as a man to allow hairstylists to shave his hairline back & give him a very thinned out style in order to play his character (even though umpteen websites & 'reporters' taunted him with accusations of male pattern baldness... uncreative gits that they are), however, he wasn't in it enought to save this dreadful clunker... sad, that.

The younger actors were good, but, the plot was ridiculous, including 2 endings, which was a cheap trick & left me only feeling that the writer knew how silly his film was so he'd better have a twist... sorry, not deciding upon an ending doesn't qualify as a twist. The story was stupid & unbelievable from start to finish. I was stunned that Oliver Stone could do such a clunker after JFK & Nixon, 2 of my favorite films... then I recalled Natural Born Killers, 1 of my least favorite.

Benecio del Toro, whom I normally love was so laughable trying to play the meannie with his silly David Blane icy-stage-stare & Elvis-mullet-gone-bad hairstyle that I burst into laughter every time he appeared on camera. Aside from many movies with Christopher Walken & his helmut hair... this movie gave Benecio the worst wig I'd seen in awhile.

I like Blake Lively, but not in this... she was so monotone & flat & delivered one of the most unenjoyable voice overs I've heard... I couldn't understand the motivation of the men to save her. All in all, a waste of time.

1 out of 5 * only for Travolta's performance.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:00 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,329,093 times
Welcome to the board, Jobes.

If you liked that film, you may enjoy Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, a 1953 French comedy. Rowan Atkinson & Eric Idle from Monty Python both said they were greatly influenced by lead actor/comedian/filmmaker Jacques Tati. It has a more subtle humor, but if you like any of the silent greats, like Chaplin, Harold Lloyd or Buster Keaton, you will surely enjoy this very cute, sweet film. It's not a silent film, but often uses sound in place of voices.

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should be free at your local library. At very least, read a bit about Tati at Wikipedia. He is of Russian royal & French circus performer descent... aren't we all at least 2 varying dichotomies. Interesting heritage & man with a rich history & gentle sense of humor.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,011,219 times
Hope Springs. Liked it. It was the story of MY marriage, only Mine had a different ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.