Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,480,532 times

Advertisements

Beasts Of The Southern Wild. I liked it. The little girl did a good job acting in this movie. I can see why she was nominated for an Oscar.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Pacific Rim, mixed feelings about it over all, but pretty movie. Didn't help that I was the only person in the theater and IMAX theater at that which wasn't a good idea for me, but it was the only way left for me to see it before it completely disappeared from the theaters in my area. But 10+ for Idris Elba. Yum.
Didn't see Pacific Rim, but will give it a try. Agreed on Idris. Saw him in Guy Ritchie's 'Rocknrolla'. Very good actor & very easy on the eyes.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 PM

171 posts, read 311,351 times
Oblivion . Ok movie. Loved the view from thier place right above the clouds. Also Tom Cruise's getaway by the lake. Looked like a slice of heaven.

Identity thief. Ok but funny movie. crazy how whats her name kept punching people in the throat.

Toy Story 3: First time watching it since it first came out in the theatre. Still a great movie.

G.I Joe retaliation.: Meh.... Better than the prior one. Dissapointed that Tatum was taken out.

Flashpoint Paradox: Cool movie. Love alternate timeline movies. Fun how to see characters turn out when circumstances or events change.

The Black Hole (1979). Been awhile since I watched it. Enjoyed all over again.

Star trek into darkness: Enjoyed it. Solid movie all around. Khan was cool still. Reversal of "KHAAANNNN" was neat.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Didn't see Pacific Rim, but will give it a try. Agreed on Idris. Saw him in Guy Ritchie's 'Rocknrolla'. Very good actor & very easy on the eyes.
Not sure, I would say, run out and see it to my women friends/acquaintances. I enjoy blowup bang up movies more than I probably should, sometimes, but, this one, to me was way more niche in it's appeal if you ask me. But I do think part of my problem was that it was just too much for my eyes to take in on an IMAX 3D screen, I couldn't wait for it to be over near the halfway point. It was visually interesting, just too dark and too much to take in on that screen for me personally. Think there needed to be some other bodies in the theater for the sound to bounce of. I did enjoy the included performance by Charlie Day. There were a one or two other decent performances. The robots were well crafted, the aliens not as much and the story behind them was quite weak. Still it was what I meant to say earlier, a pretty decent movie.

Oh and yes Idris is delectable in this. He reminds me of a better version of an ex boyfriend of many years ago. LOL

Old 08-08-2013, 12:12 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Default Im not at all surprised!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut
The "Evil Dead" remake. It sucked.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:44 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Not sure, I would say, run out and see it to my women friends/acquaintances. I enjoy blowup bang up movies more than I probably should, sometimes, but, this one, to me was way more niche in it's appeal if you ask me. But I do think part of my problem was that it was just too much for my eyes to take in on an IMAX 3D screen, I couldn't wait for it to be over near the halfway point. It was visually interesting, just too dark and too much to take in on that screen for me personally. Think there needed to be some other bodies in the theater for the sound to bounce of.
I understand & I'm with you TR, in that, I don't need movies to scream at me... sometimes the volume is just too high, or the screen is too big/close with too much going on & I end up leaving with a pounding headache. I can't even stand the sound of a loud TV, but if it's a fast action flick, I'd rather watch it on DVD at home.

The SO likes to see Imax. I only saw one, Animals of the Serengeti. Here's what I recall... giant leopards flying at my face, feeling like I was going to fall out of a helicopter zooming at GForce-speed over wildebeests & I'm pretty sure a lemur riding a pelican tried to poke me in the eye.

I'm all for the movie theatre experience, but, some are too dark & too loud, so I'm fairly selective on what I'll venture out to see. At some point, I'll give in & see an Imax movie because he's been asking me to. You're brave to go with 3D. As a glasses wearer, that's another perk I avoid. My eyes would look like kalidescopes afterwards.

Quote:
I did enjoy the included performance by Charlie Day.
I love Charlie & the character he plays on 'It's Always Sunny in Phila'. It's one of the few complete series I have on DVD.

Have fun!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I understand & I'm with you TR, in that, I don't need movies to scream at me... sometimes the volume is just too high, or the screen is too big/close with too much going on & I end up leaving with a pounding headache. I can't even stand the sound of a loud TV, but if it's a fast action flick, I'd rather watch it on DVD at home.

The SO likes to see Imax. I only saw one, Animals of the Serengeti. Here's what I recall... giant leopards flying at my face, feeling like I was going to fall out of a helicopter zooming at GForce-speed over wildebeests & I'm pretty sure a lemur riding a pelican tried to poke me in the eye.

I'm all for the movie theatre experience, but, some are too dark & too loud, so I'm fairly selective on what I'll venture out to see. At some point, I'll give in & see an Imax movie because he's been asking me to. You're brave to go with 3D. As a glasses wearer, that's another perk I avoid. My eyes would look like kalidescopes afterwards.

I love Charlie & the character he plays on 'It's Always Sunny in Phila'. It's one of the few complete series I have on DVD.

Have fun!
I was trying to avoid seeing it in 3D much less not wanting to see it in IMAX-3D But that's all they were running it end by the time I made it to the theater to see it. I knew before I went, I was making a mistake, but I wanted so much to see Pacific Rim before it completely left the theaters. I'm not really suppose to do 3D but I took a risk. Plus like you, I have a vision problem that doesn't exactly make viewing 3D movies a piece of cake. This was all around bad judgement on my part, but I wanted to see it on the big screen and boy did I ever. Lesson finally learned.

Have a great weekend and go see something good so you can come tell. I'm suppose to go see Elysium Sat, on a regular screen.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Last movie I watched was FIRST BLOOD - 1982

It was OK but seeing it was recorded in SLP mode,the audio wasnt as good as it could have been had it been recorded in SP mode! (Best recording mode) the video was ok..... (Nice colours)

Old 08-09-2013, 01:54 AM

987 posts, read 1,385,983 times
"The Cabin in the Woods" Awesome zombies/monsters thriller movie!

Old 08-09-2013, 11:15 PM

148 posts, read 323,293 times
Pacific Rim

Worst Australian accents ever- sounded like a Cockney trying to sound Scottish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies