Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 04:13 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times

Advertisements

What were the Top 5 best movies you've seen in the theater?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Ordinary People
Terms of Endearment
Dr. Zhivago
West Side Story
To Kill a Mockingbird

Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Ordinary People
Terms of Endearment
Dr. Zhivago
West Side Story
To Kill a Mockingbird
My list goes to

Home Alone
Austin Powers: Goldmember
Meet the Fockers
Knocked Up
The Simpsons Movie

Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I stopped going to theatres in the 80's when video rental stores and VHS players became available so my picks are all old. Not necessarily in any order:

2001 Space Odyssey seen upon opening in wide screen Cinerama at the Uptown theatre in Washington DC - 'nuff said
McCabe and Mrs Miller This film's foggy cinematography in the Pacific Northwest added to this first "anti-western" Humanity in the opportunities and dangers of the frontier
Performance When the lights go down and Randy Newman's Gone Dead Train theme begins to play, you are drawn into this remarkable dream
Gimme Shelter A Rolling Stones concert/documentary climaxing in the cursed Altamont Speedway show. Theatres had a special four channel sound system installed for this film. Not on all the time, at each concert segment, the two rear channels would come up and the roar of the crowd would surround you. It was so great
Das Boat In the original German with subtitles. No translation was needed for this eloquent story

And I would have to add many of the wonderful films of Ingmar Bergman that were shown in the art house theatres that thrived in 70's DC. They took you to a quiet, other world.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:14 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Independence Day- Totally killed in the theatre.

Lord of the Rings(all three)-No, I am not a hobbit.

Pirates of the Carribean- The first one was cool. Got a little to busy after that.

Freddy's Dead-The Final Nightmare- It was in 3D so that made it that much cooler. Plus, I was a kid so that helped make it totally awesome as well.

Transformers- Need I say more. This film was made for the big screen.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Hmm... surprising not to see any of my picks listed already. But, here goes:

Star Wars - In 1977, no theater experience previously could compare. Changed everything.
Rocky Horror Picture Show - How could you beat that experience? Turned the movie theater into a party for the first time.
Ghostbusters - Ok, kinda cheesy I guess, but at the time... great movie experience. Bill Murray, Dan Ackroyd, and Harold Ramis were no slouches, either.
Pulp Fiction - The music and story wowed some pretty jaded people in the 90's, including myself. Stuck with you when you left. Travolta's comeback had to be witnessed in the theaters first, no torrents to spoil it yet.
Saving Private Ryan - Opening scene was hard and immersive, and the rest of the film didn't disappoint. Ended up being a quite memorable movie experience.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Cyrano de Bergerac
Citizen Kane
The Heartbeat Detector
Joyeux Noel
A long Engagement

Old 05-30-2009, 08:10 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? - Great movie, and still creepy today. My parents went to see that at the Drive-in with us kids in the back, supposed to be sleeping. I peeked and watched it and it scared me to death! I had nightmares about the Betty Davis character for a long time. ("I've written a letter to Daddy...") Yikes!

PLANET OF THE APES - The original. Why didn't my parents just hire a babysitter??!

STAR WARS- I was a junior in High School, we all walked out of the theatre like "WOW" We'd never seen ANYTHING like it before at that time.

GREASE - Great fun for me - but my date hated it! Decided to leave my own squeaky clean Sandra Dee image behind after watching that movie.

BACK TO THE FUTURE - The whole theatre had a blast watching that - FUN!

TITANIC - Best, most enthralling movie experience of my adult life - so far.

Honorable mention - The X-Men movies. Took my kids, didn't think I'd like them, loved them.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 AM

65 posts, read 125,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
TITANIC - Best, most enthralling movie experience of my adult life - so far.
i always wonder why people like this movie its just to darn long. dont you get bored after the second hour of the movie.

My list
Dark Knight
the Shining
Grudge
The Unborn
The Uninvited

Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Slightly different take, these are best movies AND total experiences.

I doubt that the experience I had with the original Star Wars could ever be topped. I managed the theatre, and had a pre-opening private screening with a nearly empty theatre. A few employees and I had pizza and beer and sat in the sweet spot of the theatre, watching it in comfort prior to just about everyone in the nation. It doesn't get better than that.

You haven't experienced Gone With the Wind unless you've seen it at either the Fox in Atlanta or the Alabama in Birmingham. Both are movie palaces. Shows are lightly enough attended that you can get great seats. The only problem is that the sound systems can have echo.

Rocky Horror - an experience like no other, especially as manager of the theatre.

A Burt Reynolds double feature at a drive-in on a balmy night with a full lot. Quintessential Americana, right down to the concession ads, short feature, and two Warner Bros. cartoons. The smell of the onions frying on the grill (we used to do that to increase sales) and the movements of the cars in the back row...

Jaws. If for nothing else than standing at the back of the theatre when the shark makes a surprise appearance. It is HILARIOUS to watch an entire audience simultaneously scream, jolt about 6" up off their seats, and then settle back down.

I have a number of other memorable experiences, but you asked for five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies