Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:08 AM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times

Advertisements

At least he is a real martial artist. His newer movies are not very good but I liked his old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 08:32 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,108,828 times
So who are you? Are you like some special forces guy or something?

I'm just a cook.

_

Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,266,427 times
Yes, I think he IS a bad actor, but in his movie hey-day it just didn't matter. Thought I've never been a fan of his, I still like him better than Claude Van Damme.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:34 AM

30,371 posts, read 16,094,682 times
same character; different movie.

yup-bad actor.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 AM

23,658 posts, read 13,854,634 times
Who knows?

Since his kind of movies don't interest me, I don't watch any of them.

As to the bad actor bit, how does one judge?

In acting class, it was basically the conclusion that one would be a bad actor if they couldn't get the audience to believe, if they themselves didn't believe, that they were the character they were playing.

So, step one and step two. With what little I know about Mr. Seagal, I would accept that he believes he is the character he is playing. Believes it one way or the other. The other being like what is said about Jack Nicholson, that he is always playing the same part..............himself.

So then there is step two, does the audience believe it? Well, by the audience here, perhaps not. But consider this, how long does the audience have to believe it? Perhaps only for two hours? If that is all it takes, for were movies meant to be looked at over and over, rewind a scene and look at it again and again, then if he pulls it off for two hours, has he not accomplished the task?

Of course, there is perhaps a step three.......would any audience believe him in another type of part than what he plays now?

Finally, keep in mind that in the movies, there are at least two means of the art. Consider what the late Trevor Howard once declared "we don't have the Method School of acting in England. We simply read the script, let it seep in, then go put on whiskers - and do it" (New York Times, January 8 1988). (from IMDB).

Of course, I have been trained about method acting where, basically, we find something about the character that we know personally and then try to expand that personal aspect of ourselves out into the part we are playing.

So it is as much an aspect to what method Mr. Seagal might use to how the audience sees this type or that type of actor.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:39 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,576,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay, maybe he's not the best actor but I'm entertained by the movies he's in. Five of them I like very much:

1. Above The Law
2. Under Seige
3. Under Seige 2
4. The Glimmer Man
5. Executive Decision
Out for Justice is my favorite. The bar clearing fight with the cue ball in the bar towel. Ouch! He had a one liner in a movie I can't remember the name of right now that has always been a favorite of mine. He was talking to the son of the bad guy and said..."If your father knew how stupid you were going to be, be would have traded you for a pet monkey". Lmao'd for a spell.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,666,745 times
I really like his early movies - he's especially captivating in Above the Law. I remember seeing this in the theater and the crowd was so excited ! I never really thought if he could act or not because it's so impressive to see his marital arts, he's so intense and focused, besides real easy on the eyes !

Those that say he can't run, well he doesn't really have to run from anyone. I thought he ran just fine in Above the Law.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:57 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,666,745 times
Under Siege 2 on the train is a good one, too. I really like the scene when the bad guys are trying to figure out who is the person on the train taking out some of their men - then they read the passenger list and see the name Casey Rybeck and one of the guys said, he was my navy seal commander, he's the best there is. The main bad guy replies, I thought you were the best there is ? !!! Great scene !

Old 12-28-2014, 04:41 PM

12,337 posts, read 8,068,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I really like his early movies - he's especially captivating in Above the Law. I remember seeing this in the theater and the crowd was so excited ! I never really thought if he could act or not because it's so impressive to see his marital arts, he's so intense and focused, besides real easy on the eyes !

Those that say he can't run, well he doesn't really have to run from anyone. I thought he ran just fine in Above the Law.
I don't know if it was Seagal. the same production team that made Chuck Norris's best Code Of Silence. Above The Law and Under Siege are the only Seagal movies that I will watch all the way through. With Norris its Code of Silence and Lone Wolf McQuade.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM

19,709 posts, read 10,054,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Yes, I think he IS a bad actor, but in his movie hey-day it just didn't matter. Thought I've never been a fan of his, I still like him better than Claude Van Damme.
Van Damme's manager said a few years ago that they faked his martial arts past to get him into the movies. Don't know if it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies