Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:43 AM

18,120 posts, read 11,754,865 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 03:56 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,415 times
Okay, so I just watched J&J today. I am a long-time Julia fan as I had to watch nearly all of her shows running on PBS as a child. So, even if not by choice, I learned to really like/love Julia.

My thoughts on the movie? Meryl Streep was excellent. Her portrayal was spot on. The point of the movie was executed well; it was a good movie. It told two stories of two women on an endeavor, the obstacles, emotion, and later triumph.

As a Julia fan, I was a bit let down that there wasn't more on Julia. I know this was not a biopic but the fact of the matter is Julia's story was much more rich than shared and Julie's a little less rich than the picture portrayed.

At the end this ends up being more about Julie than Julia. General rating: B

Old 12-26-2009, 12:27 AM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,214 times
I just watched this movie & I have to say, it was delightful! Wonderful movie, although I was thinking "it's a bit long" after awhile. I loved Streep's interpretation of Child of course, Streep can do no wrong in my book. But I was very surprised how much I liked Adams in this movie. I don't like Adams, never have but she really endeared herself to me. And am I the only one that thought that she looked almost exactly like Cynthia Nixon (aka Miranda Sex & the City) in this movie?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:15 PM

445 posts, read 1,071,300 times
Lol. I just rented this movie over the holidays, and I really enjoyed it. Hmm for some strange reason, me and my mom became ravenous after watching it...LMAO. Makes me want to go out and purchase the cookbook now.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,408 times
This was my favorite movie of the year. The Julie story line didn't bother me, I liked it, but I would love to see a movie just about Julia Child. Of course, Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci would have to be in it.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:59 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,695,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
This was my favorite movie of the year. The Julie story line didn't bother me, I liked it, but I would love to see a movie just about Julia Child. Of course, Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci would have to be in it.
I said the same thing after watching it. Julia's life sounds like it would make a good movie. Sounds like she and her hubby had quite the love story....

Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Thought it was a terrific movie.

Ken

Old 01-12-2010, 01:44 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
am I the only one that thought that she looked almost exactly like Cynthia Nixon (aka Miranda Sex & the City) in this movie?
I thought she looked like Miranda too!!!!!

Would have preferred much more about Julia Child (who Streep portrayed brilliantly) and less (or none) of the Julie blog plot. I found Julie really irritating and whingy - and like an earlier poster I also got very irritated by the over loud eating noises in some scenes - eeeeuuuwwwww

Old 01-12-2010, 04:01 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
How about the smoking while eating? You really think Julia did that? I think maybe they did back then when cigarettes weren't so hated and I am glad the director didn't censor it to be PC. If they liked their smokes so much it should be shown.

It's just a real head scratcher though when Julia loved French cooking so much then to dull it with a cig while eating. Yuck, but I have seen some people smoke while eating.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 PM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times
I was glad I read the book "My Life In France" on which the movie was based - the film really brought the book to life in a wonderful way, just the way I pictured things in my mind when I read it. Tucci needs to get almost as much credit as Streep, he was perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies