Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 07:29 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,219 times

Advertisements

I am not a big movie buff so this movie was made in 99 and I just saw it today. Interesting stuff, and being born a Virgo Baptist kid, I really never heard about this phenom much. What are your thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:29 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Take a read through this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmata

Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,534,507 times
I like Padre Pio. I try to keep an open mind to any phenomenom that I can't explain. Faith can make a lot of things happen. And miracles come in many forms.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:01 AM

Thanks for the responses and the link. This is very intriguing to me and, albeit there are some staged hoax's associated with this, there are over 300 documented cases. I really never heard too much about it until watching that movie, which was excellent I thought. Have you seen it?

Another interesting read inre this is:
http://www.assap.org/newsite/articles/Stigmata.html
A brief story on Heather Woods.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Mind over matter can accomplish amazing feats.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Mind over matter can accomplish amazing feats.
I agree and it's amazing that we haven't been able to uncover the complete potential that we have.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 5,567 times
Stigmata usually refers to the oozing of blood from the hands and since we only recently have discovered that a crucifiction cannot be supported from the hands but from the wrists I think it must be hysteria, in the clinical sense of the word, and not a miracle at all.

Last night I happened to read in a book called Ghosts and Haunts of the Civil War a short reference to a stigmata occurrence in 1825. The story is about a slave named Nat Turner, who had obviously a screw loose. He imagined he had great revelations, "wherin he saw the sun darkened, the thunder rolled in the heavens and blood flowed in the rivers. Nat witnessed a vision of white and black spirits engaged in battle, and over it all he heard a voice say, 'Such is your luck, such you are called to see, and let it come, rough or smooth, you must surely bear it'. Knowledge of the elements was revealed to him, and the revolutions of the planets, the operation of tides, and the changes of season-all the secrets of the natural world became as an open book to Nat. He also developed the gift of healing, both spiritual and physical.
Nat told Ethelred Brantley, a white man, of his revelations and Nat's words had a transforming effect. Brantley had blood ooze from his skin-stigmata-and then was made whole again. Brantley ceased his wickedness."

The interesting thing about this Nat Turner story is that he went on to visciously hack to pieces an entire family that owned him as a slave, although it was recorded they had been very kind to him and he had no complaints of them. He and his band of followers hacked the family and the children to bits, followers due to his 'revelations' assisted in this and other murders of any white people they came in contact with as they marched along the countryside. Even the baby was hacked to death.

I can appreciate the hatred of slavery, but as it happens, at the time, other slaves were not visciously hacking to death babies, girls and the like. They also hated slavery I'm sure. These visions of Nat's sound like schizophrenia to me. The Brantley stigmata sounds like a hysterical reaction.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
Default Stigmata

I firmly believe that if a stigmata occurs , it is not from God. If a stigmata was from God then it would contradict Christ dying for us. He died so that we would not suffer . I believe that it is a thing of the devil, that it is a distraction from God. Satan will do all he can to keep your eyes off of God. Now where in the Bible is stigmata mentioned as a gift from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies