Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:54 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times

Advertisements

I dont know about anyone else but I dont believe an actor should endorse any kind of political office or someone running for office or letting their religiious and or political beliefs be known . I think they chose entertainment for a living then do what you do best and entertain . Because I for one could care less what you consider a just cause .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:28 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
I'm not a fan of Sean Penn's activism and political nonsense, but I think he is a great actor and I enjoy his movies. Same with Jeneane Garafolo, I don't agree with her activism, but I like her as a comedian and actress.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:10 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I only stop watching if there is an idiot like John Wayne or Charlton Heston.

If you don't watch those actors then you have not seen some of the movie classics. I don't let it get to me that badly. I can separate their acting from their poitics if it is a good movie.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Vanessa Redgrave's causes are not mine. I don't care. She is such an amazing actress that she becomes the part she is playing. I would never quit watching her because of her politics/causes.

Actually, she is so good that I totally forget about her politics when watching her act. She's that good.

If I started cutting people out of my life because they held views different from mine I would be a very bored person and I would miss a lot of good movies, too.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:40 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
If you don't watch those actors then you have not seen some of the movie classics. I don't let it get to me that badly. I can separate their acting from their poitics if it is a good movie.
I saw a few of John Wayne's movies when I was younger....

Old 07-07-2009, 03:50 PM

91 posts, read 221,817 times
The fact that I see a movie has no bearing on whether I agree with an actor's political opinion.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
If I refused to watch movies of outspoken actors with causes I don't beleive in, I wouldn't watch many movies! As a result, I'll watch a film even if I disagree with their personal politics or beliefs. The only exception is if the film's plot is intentionally trying to make a specific statement about something I strongly disagree with, in that case I probably wouldn't watch it.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
As a more right leaning person, if I stopped watching movies because the of the actors political views, I'd have damn little to watch being that Hollywood is 90% liberal Democrat.
There are a few actors who's views are so over the top and in your face that they intrude on my ability to separate the character I see on screen from the political activist off screen. Sean Penn comes to mind. While I admire his work, every time I see him, I think of him sucking up to Hugo Chavez or evangelizing about gay marriage. Danny Glover is another one.
I really try to stay as ignorant of actors political or social views as I can, the better to be able to enjoy their work on screen. It's hard to do in the age of the internet.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:33 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I dont know about anyone else but I dont believe an actor should endorse any kind of political office or someone running for office or letting their religiious and or political beliefs be known . I think they chose entertainment for a living then do what you do best and entertain . Because I for one could care less what you consider a just cause .

Do you believe you should be able to express who your support? Do you believe anyone should?

They have freedom of speech just like anyone else. You also have the freedom to choose whether or not to listen to them, watch them on the news, or read their articles. If you dont want to listen to them endorse someone, then dont listen. But, saying that they shouldnt express what they have the constitional right to do goes against everything this country stands for.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:00 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I am prone to be more conservative, so if I stopped watching tv shows and movies of people I disagreed with politically....that would only leave me with Gunsmoke.

I do think, however, that lots of people in Hollywood have such a screwed up personal life until they probably would be doing the candidate of their choice more good if they just shut up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies