Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:22 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times

Advertisements

Many of you might like Rene Zill....er but I can't stand her. Why in the world are they doing another Bridgette Jones movie?

Studio spokesman: `Bridget Jones' returns to film | AccessAtlanta (http://www.accessatlanta.com/entertainment/content/shared-gen/ap/Movies/US_Film_Bridget_Jones.html?cxntlid=thbz_hm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:26 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
I really enjoyed the first one. Think it was the fact that her character wasn't afraid to laugh at herself or put herself out there.

Second in my opinion, wasn't as good.

I'd go see the third one .. I guess.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:06 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,445,611 times
I love the Bridget Jones films, and would definitely see a third one. RZ was made for that role, and I also very much like the rest of the cast, especially Hugh Grant and Colin Firth. Hopefully all the main players will reprise their roles. I don't think they can top the first one, but whatever. It's a nice change of pace from all the CGI/blood & guts mish mash.

Old 07-19-2009, 03:00 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone-ground View Post
I really enjoyed the first one. Think it was the fact that her character wasn't afraid to laugh at herself or put herself out there.

Second in my opinion, wasn't as good.

I'd go see the third one .. I guess.
I quite agree. I loved the first one, but the second one . . . eh.

I might rent a third one, but mostly I don't feel as if a third one really needs to be made. To me it sounds like this would definitely be one of those sequels that exists solely to continue to cash in on the name.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:14 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I thought it was one of the unfunniest trite piece of utter garbage so count me out of that one ! I do like Rene ZellWegger when she tries ( I thought her excellent in "Cold Mountain") but this was rubbish pure and simple. Never again.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I thought it was one of the unfunniest trite piece of utter garbage so count me out of that one ! I do like Rene ZellWegger when she tries ( I thought her excellent in "Cold Mountain") but this was rubbish pure and simple. Never again.
Mooseketeer, I'm assuming you're English.........and if so didn't you think RZ did a pretty good portrayal of an englishwoman for a girl from Texas? She indeed worked hard on this film, especially to make her accent as authentic as possible, and I thought she did great. Not many American actors can pull of British characters (see: Kevin Costner as Robin Hood......AUUGGH!).

Old 07-20-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Mooseketeer, I'm assuming you're English.........and if so didn't you think RZ did a pretty good portrayal of an englishwoman for a girl from Texas? She indeed worked hard on this film, especially to make her accent as authentic as possible, and I thought she did great. Not many American actors can pull of British characters (see: Kevin Costner as Robin Hood......AUUGGH!).

I'm actually French but I have lived here for over 20 years and people who meet me in person always think I am either British or for some bizarre reasons from New Zealand or South Africa. I spent 3 years in the US before that and when I met my Fiance he thought I was American because of the accent. I tend to absorb accents.

I think RZ upper middle class accent is actually pretty good ( so good it will irritate many people who do not like that accent because of the class implications). A couple of British friends of mine who had never heard of her thought she was British.

I think she is really quite a good actress ( though the permanent pout often really irks me) if she is given a chance to stretch herself. I really enjoyed her in "Miss Potter" but "Cold Mountain" was where she truly shined IMO.

It does seem odd to me though to employ an American actress to play a Brit or Brit to play an American etc... Plenty of good British actresses why chose someone who isn't ? I find almost offensive. A bit like when they have some terrible impersonation of a French/German person by someone who is actually English speaking. Or when they use someone abled-bodied to play a disabled person, a bit like the old minstrel show in a sort of way.

Bridget Jones to me was simply awful though. Not RZ simply the utter vapidity and shallowness of the characters and situations and to me it had no class, no sharpness of wit, nothing. I actually resented having watched it, knowing I would never get those 2 hours of my life back when I could have done something enjoyable or productive with them instead...

Then again I was dragged to "Four Weddings and a Funeral" , "Love Actually" and more of those so called rom-coms and felt almost nauseous at the utter awfulness of it all. So I might not be the best person to judge another Bridget Jones !

Old 07-20-2009, 09:06 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Well, Mooseketer.. don't hold back, please tell us how you feel about it

I love Bridget Jones story because it's basically a modern take on my favorite story of all time: Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I thought the author, and the translated movie, did a good job in modernizing the story with lots of humor thrown in. As much as I love the story, I also think they should have stopped at movie No. 1.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I was dragged to "Four Weddings and a Funeral" , "Love Actually" and more of those so called rom-coms and felt almost nauseous at the utter awfulness of it all. So I might not be the best person to judge another Bridget Jones !
Ha ha! I understand. I like the "rom-coms" as a change of pace, and I don't go into them looking for anything that will have me walking out of the theater extolling the wonders of movie making. Some (like BJD) I like and can watch anytime they appear, while others leave me feeling the way you do about them.

I really enjoy Hugh Grant, though. I think the guy is hilarious. Ever seen "About A Boy"? That's a rom-com with a bit more depth to it that you might enjoy, and my favorite Hugh Grant film by far.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Ha ha! I understand. I like the "rom-coms" as a change of pace, and I don't go into them looking for anything that will have me walking out of the theater extolling the wonders of movie making. Some (like BJD) I like and can watch anytime they appear, while others leave me feeling the way you do about them.

I really enjoy Hugh Grant, though. I think the guy is hilarious. Ever seen "About A Boy"? That's a rom-com with a bit more depth to it that you might enjoy, and my favorite Hugh Grant film by far.

I've never been a great Hugh Grant fan as he always seems to basically play himself but I thought "About a Boy" was excellent. I really enjoyed it because it had a true heart without being mawkish and funny without trying too hard. I think the script writing was really tight and Grant gave one of his best performances. He once again played himself, the rather harmless, ineffectual upper class twit but gave that role an extra dimension missing in his other films.

I'm a big fan if Richard E Grant on the other hand, a very undervalued actor IMO. And great on the stage too...

I do like rom-coms as a form of escapism but I still expect certain standards not often met in my experience. I think there is a fine line between romantic and irritating in the Hollywood context !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies