U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 03:26 PM

14,499 posts, read 16,006,672 times

Advertisements

This was made in 1960 have never been able to watch it all the way through- has anyone else seen this powerful Stanley Kramer film?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 11:30 PM

7,371 posts, read 3,376,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
This was made in 1960 have never been able to watch it all the way through- has anyone else seen this powerful Stanley Kramer film?
I've seen it twice or three times all the way through. It is a movie mired in controversy due to legal opinions as to whether the trials were actually legal.
My ethics class in university watched it and there was almost a brawl. I would like to see a re-make of the movie from one of today's great directors to see how they would portray the trials.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:37 PM

Maybe Alan Parker could do the film? It was rather long. I do remember that the same imagery was shown to Jr high school kids- when they read the Diary of Anne Frank. Do they still read that in school? It seems alot of important history is no longer addressed---

sunny

Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 PM

1,841 posts, read 5,245,377 times
I thought this was a great film, Spencer Tracy was perfect for the role, and the rest of the cast was great too. Didn't he get an Oscar for that film?

While serving in the US Army in Germany in the 1970s, I went to Nuremberg (Nurnberg in German) many times and still remember a visit to the courtroom where the trials were held. This building is still actively used as a courthouse. As a silent reminder of the war days, the stone wall exterior of the hall of justice still had bullet and shrapnel marks in the 1970s. The center part of the city was badly damaged during WWII, but had been restored by the 1970s and is a very beautiful place.

Of course everyone remembers why the trials were held an Nuremberg? It was the place where the mass gatherings of that sick old regime were held, in a large arena outside of town which is also still there, intact. It's also the place where they crafted their "race laws" that started up all the bad things that were to follow. Hence, it was the appropriate place to put the old regime on trial. If somebody remakes this film, I would probably be disappointed.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 PM

Well it was an excellent movie and the acting was superb. I would watch it again. But I was just interested in how a director today (like Alan Parker or Spielberg) would present it.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

I think Prker would do a good job- very visual-
I saw Munich and although it was powerful- the story sort of lost me-

It seems we need another movie about WWII-people have short memories- It still saddens me to think of those images-

sunny

Old 04-23-2007, 04:47 PM

13,326 posts, read 30,325,593 times
I thought there was a remake?
I seem to remember being quite immersed in it.

here it is

Brian Cox was excellent.

There is a lot of talk these days about the 'theme' of Nuremberg, the "I was only doing my job" excuse.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Thumbs up wow-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

here it is

Brian Cox was excellent.

There is a lot of talk these days about the 'theme' of Nuremberg, the "I was only doing my job" excuse.

lol- with Alec Baldwin as the judge- Guess I will have to rent that- havent seen ANY tv movies. For some reason in Florida we had Adelphia cable- they keep showing the same HBO specials and I guess I never watched network tv all those years. I also never watch anything with commercials- I have no patience. Was the movie good though?

sunny

Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post

here it is

Brian Cox was excellent.

Guess I need to watch a few more movies. Will have to check it out.
Thanks.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:19 PM

1,587 posts, read 182,919 times
That's a great movie.

One of Spence's best efforts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies