Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,488 times

Advertisements

The Borden House is a Bed and Breakfast now. I loved the story. Not the horrible events, but the way people analyzed the facts. Kathy Bates would be a great Lizzie. Charlize played in "Monster" and did a good job of looking very different.

I have always wondered why Lizzie came back into the house from the barn and yelled upstairs to the housemaid after she had discovered her father dead in the sitting room. I would have run back out of the house for fear the maid was the killer. There are many theories. I hope they find believable people to play the other roles, as well. I would hate to see someone like Alicia Silverstone trying to play Emma Borden. Unknowns make the tale more believable, all things being equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:33 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,448,442 times
Kathy Bates is also a fantastic actress but Lizzie was 32 when the murders happened and Ms Bates is 61. What about (and don't go nuts) Kirsten Vangsness from Criminal Minds (if they dyed her hair brown)?

Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 AM

90 posts, read 210,066 times
Is there anyone out there with movie industry ties that can forward this thread to the right people & "Plant the Seed". This HAS to be redone for the big screen in a well thought out, highly professional, intellectual manner.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:05 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,488 times
Kathy could play an older Lizzie with the story told in flashbacks. I am sure they could find a young Kathy Bates. Ironically, both of the Borden sisters died fairly close together in time. They had become estranged. Rumours, and all that. I have always felt that Lizzie did the deed. It would have been difficult for anyone to slip into that house unseen, and then back out again. Lizzie was seething over the fact that her father was going to give her step mother's family a free house. It's a long story. Plenty on the Internet, and "Lizzie" clubs are open for debate.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:58 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,639,286 times
Old thread, but I'm a Lizzie nut, and think it would be fantastic time for a new movie. I think either Sarah Polley Sarah Polley - IMDb or Elisabeth Shue Elisabeth Shue - IMDb would be good as Lizzie. Also, Kathy Bates would be an excellent "Abby."

I've read a great deal about this case, and I even wrote a paper about it for my senior Women's History class in college. I just don't think she did it, but I think she set it up and hired/paid someone off to SHUT up. There was no blood on her at all. I think it was a man, and I think he hid in the cellar overnight or even in the barn, and then crept into the cellar before Bridget got up. He came in and did the deeds while Bridget was outside washing windows, using Lizzie as the "lookout," and then when Bridget went upstairs to lie down, he acted again, out of Bridget's earshot.

Lizzie conveniently placed herself outside for a good 15-30 minutes (as she said) and then went back inside, knowing what he'd done. I think he could have escaped rather easily by walking normally, blending into the regular street traffic, perhaps wearing a light overcoat (on that hot August day, which might have seemed odd, but he couldn't have concealed the hatchet any other way). I don't buy the "wild-eyed, pale man standing around the Borden house" theory. I think he had to act so normally so as not even to be noticed coming from the Borden residence/area.

I agree Lizzie looked creepy, and I think she may have tried to poison her father and Abby before with another agent that didn't work (obviously), so she tried to buy the prussic acid, but again, I just don't feel she did it. Also, no poison was found in either of the victims' stomachs, so I don't know what could have made them so sick the previous day or two, but I think she was behind it. I think Emma knew something was going to happen because she rarely traveled and happened to be in Marion, visiting friends; and I think Uncle John knew, something as well -- he arrived with no overnight kit, i.e., change of clothes, etc., and he had a ship-shape alibi (almost too good to be true). He remembered the exact times he went to visit someone, when he left, the streetcar number, all kinds of details one usually doesn't think about. He also "didn't notice" the HUNDREDS of people who had heard and surrounded the house when he returned. He also said that the cellar door had been left open (it was not; it was closed - could have been the killer's error).

I think Lizzie "set the scene" for the murders by telling her closest neighbor friend about a disgruntled business associate of her father's and that she was afraid to stay there, "sleeps with one eye open," fears they have been poisoned, and so on.

She was also wealthy enough to pay off the jurors, judge, whomever, and knew she wouldn't be found guilty. She hired the ex-governor of the state as her lawyer, for heaven's sakes!

On a related subject, did anyone see the "Psychic Kids" episode in which two girls (supposedly unbeknownst to them, at age 16 and 17) visited the Borden house? The link is here: Psychic Kids : Messages from the Dead /The Lizzie Borden Case Pt 1 / 4 (Not HD) - YouTube the best parts come in toward the middle of the show, but it's a good watch overall, and I think the girls did very well. I wonder, though, if they could have realized where they were. It's pretty hard to completely disguise a place as well known as the Borden house, and you'd think the signs pointing to "Fall River" on the way would have tipped them off, but maybe not. I knew about this when I was 11, but that's only because of the Elizabeth Montgomery movie.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts!
Cheers!

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,967,370 times
I know very little about the whole thing, despite routinely driving by the house. I think Camryn Manheim would make an excellent Lizzie Borden.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,453,524 times
Mary Louise Parker

Old 11-08-2012, 09:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,453,524 times
Octomom looks scary enough to play Lizzie Borden

Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,089,650 times
Kate Mara gets my vote.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM

9,513 posts, read 16,448,668 times
I grew up in Massachusetts not far from Fall River where Lizzie Borden (well you know the story). I have seen the house a number of times since I was a little kid. Even though it was many many years ago, and none of us were around at the time. When you see the house it is a haunting feeling to know what happened there.

I'm going to say my pick would have been Kathy Bates, but she is over the age for the role. So I'm going to go with Charlize Theron based on her performance (and I can't think of the movie). The prostitue that turned to murdering the men in Florida). She was excellent and I feel she could pull off the Lizzy Borden rolel perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies