Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Frailty is a great movie. But I don't know that it's a horror film. I'd say it's more of a thriller.
Agreed. I really don't see how it could be called a horror film.

Spoiler
If anything it is a morality tale of the consequences of being wicked.

Saw is the only original horror film to come along in quite some time. The original was great but the subsequent sequels watered down the premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:16 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,381,741 times
What's often creepiest about some horror movies is the backstory to them. The Strangers was pretty darn scary and the story that inspired the movie (not directly based on) is apparently unsolved and rather STRANGE!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:09 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
There hasn't been a decent horror movie made in years. They've all been dumbed-down to the point of being moronic, so as to cater to the miniscule attention span of today's teens, who have pretty much lost their ability to hold a coherent thought for more than 45 seconds, due to brain damage from walking around all day with cell phones surgically attached to their heads. Or the recent so-called horror movies are merely slice-and-dice bloodfests like the absurd "Saw" series.
Do yourself a favor and rent an old classic, like "The Omen" or "Silence of the Lambs" or "The Exorcist"-- which recently came out with a digitally re-mastered 35th Anniversery Addition with some added scenes that were originally deleted because they were deemed "too disturbing." (The one with Regan spider walking down the staircase will cost you a night's sleep, though. Be forewarned! LOL)
Seriously, you have to see The Mist if you feel this way. I agree that there will never EVER be a movie scarrier than The Exorcist (I've even stopped watching it because I'm somehow much more of a scaredy cat now than when I was a kid) but The Mist has all the qualities of a good old fashioned creature feature where you don't get to see the monster for a while and you finally get a pay off towards the middle of the movie. It's well thought out and it's based on a Stephen King book so it's not just about the monsters but the people as well. I can't describe it past that without spoiling it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:39 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Hard to believe you compared the Saw movies to Jason movies. You need to figure so much stuff out to understand and follow Saw (even using clues from previous Saw movies to figure out later ones) unlike Friday the 13th. No, the Friday the 13th series pales in comparison.
Your probablly right...I think I only saw the first 'Saw'..(no pun intended)

And it was cleverly written, it was a slasher movie that actually made you think...like a jigsaw puzzle...your right in that you have to be a thinking person to follow it...at least the first one...what are they up to now? as far as sequels...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:44 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Seriously, you have to see The Mist if you feel this way. I agree that there will never EVER be a movie scarrier than The Exorcist (I've even stopped watching it because I'm somehow much more of a scaredy cat now than when I was a kid) but The Mist has all the qualities of a good old fashioned creature feature where you don't get to see the monster for a while and you finally get a pay off towards the middle of the movie. It's well thought out and it's based on a Stephen King book so it's not just about the monsters but the people as well. I can't describe it past that without spoiling it.
The sequels to the Excorcist were very disappointing to me, very...

They did not have the same creepy demonic build up as did the first...
The first one felt totally real...the sequels and the one prequel, felt like well...movies...

Very rarely have I seen a movie where the sequel is as good or better than the first...

Hell Raiser 1&2 were decent...at the time, that hell raiser concept was new...but now that too is played out...

Old 02-19-2010, 06:39 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Your probablly right...I think I only saw the first 'Saw'..(no pun intended)

And it was cleverly written, it was a slasher movie that actually made you think...like a jigsaw puzzle...your right in that you have to be a thinking person to follow it...at least the first one...what are they up to now? as far as sequels...
They are making Saw 7 for release this October. It's heavily rumored that 8 will be the final one, but who knows for sure.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:20 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,398 times
I've never had a movie scare me like "The Exorcist" did. I'd read the book and it scared me badly and I thought I had nothing to lose seeing the movie. I went with my sister. We both cried all the way home. That movie haunted me for months and I truly wished I'd never seen it. Have since re-read the book, but will not see the movie again especially since someone mentioned it has scenes cut from the original because they were too distubing? Spider walking down the staircase? No thanks. Just imagining it brings back too many memories of sitting through the original.

Three Dog Night said it best...

I've seen so many things I aint' never seen before
Don't know what it is, but I don't wanna see no more

Old 02-19-2010, 09:04 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,963 times
I actually thought the book was much scarier. The description of the scenes where she was getting possesed were gut wrenching and, when she did the spider walk down the stairs, yeah, it was scary but not as much as the way they described her doing it in the book. The book also clarified a lot of things like the relationship with Regan and her mother.

I went to the theater with my sister and our cousins when it got remastered and they included that scene and I ended up making them all spend the night. We slept in the living room with all the lights on and they made fun of me the next day yet they didn't go home the night before.

As far as Saw goes; I figured out the ending about half way through the first one so I wasn't interested in any of the sequels. Can you compare Saw to Friday the 13th? I say yes you can but only the first ones because the first Friday the 13th had that surprise ending that Saw attempted to have as well. Spoiler::: Also, the first Friday the 13th was about a crazy person getting revenge while the first Saw was about a dying person's crazy way to teach other people how to live better. :::End Spoiler.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:16 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
First Saw was good. Saw II not as good. Saw III...milking the cash cow.
Every subsequent sequal: Dragging the dead horse.
At around 10 minutes into Saw III I officially wrote off the series. Haven't seen even a smidgeon of anything since. Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Anyone seen Trick R Treat yet?

YouTube - Trick r' Treat trailer

I haven't, though I admit it's the first horror movie in a long time I'm actually eager to see.
As a life long horror hound I was very happy to see Trick 'r Treat!!!! What a flashback to the good old campy fun (and gratuitous b & g!).

The Wolfman is very refreshing as well if you like the old Famous Monsters type horror. I'm not into the Grudge, Ring and all that stuff. I like old school blood & guts witha killer on the loose and everyone being scared. Storylines are ok for drama, but in Horror as long as you have the brutality and some decent acting the story don't really matter. But then again I understand today we all need to be intrigued and mystified... I'll stick with Texas Chainsaw and the ORIGINAL Halloween's!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies