U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2009, 09:07 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,857,599 times

Advertisements

I like scary stuff.. supernatural "thrillers", psychological thrillers, suspense. I can't stand gore. I don't know, I wasn't like that before I had kids but now, I just can't.

I loved Cape Fear (newer version)... liked that "Skeleton Key" okay, the one with Kate Hudson. It wasn't the best but I do like ghost-related movies. Along the same lines I liked that American Haunting okay too. Silence of the Lambs creeped me out and so did Red Dragon. In a good way. I loved them both.

So, that's a bit of what I like. Anyone have suggestions along those lines for scary movies without excessive gore?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,327,885 times
Have you seen the original Cape Fear?

Um...30 Days of Night wasn't too too gory.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:41 AM

1,870 posts, read 4,105,019 times
rent these:

Ghost story
The Changeling - 1980 George c scott
Orphan
Omen
The Haunting in Connecticut
Six sense
The other - tough to find, might be on netflix -- from 1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I like scary stuff.. supernatural "thrillers", psychological thrillers, suspense. I can't stand gore. I don't know, I wasn't like that before I had kids but now, I just can't.

I loved Cape Fear (newer version)... liked that "Skeleton Key" okay, the one with Kate Hudson. It wasn't the best but I do like ghost-related movies. Along the same lines I liked that American Haunting okay too. Silence of the Lambs creeped me out and so did Red Dragon. In a good way. I loved them both.

So, that's a bit of what I like. Anyone have suggestions along those lines for scary movies without excessive gore?

Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 AM

3,225 posts, read 4,212,401 times
Threads-Very horrifying film about nuclear holocaust and annihilation. You can find it on both Youtube and Google video.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:34 AM

13,244 posts, read 10,931,403 times
The Orphanage is a Spanish-language movie produced by Guillermo del Toro (of Pan's Labyrinth fame.) It's a creepy and atmospheric ghost story, but not gross. His movie The Devil's Backbone is good, too.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 AM

768 posts, read 598,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

Try Identity with John Cusack. Edge of your seat thriller in my book but very little gore.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:27 PM

14,699 posts, read 14,225,140 times
The Others was interesting. Not a lot of gore in that one, if I recall correctly.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM

4,268 posts, read 7,441,352 times
When I first saw it, Signs really creeped me out and there is no gore in that at all. I liked The Devil's Backbone too and The Abandoned with the extremely under-used and under-appreciated Karel Roden.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 PM

5,581 posts, read 8,320,816 times
Children of Men has a chilling plot, but at the end offers hope. It's a good film.

A film called "The Road" that I think is coming out this Fall or Winter looks as though it is going to be suspenseful and thrilling, too... it's based on the book by the same name by Cormac Mccarthy (http://www.cormacmccarthy.com/works/theroad.htm - broken link). In the book, there are some gory bits, but it's more of a love story, I thought. Showing a father's love for his son.

What about David Lynch films like Lost Highway? Or Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange?

Pan's Labrinth... Creepy film!

If you can find it - check out Johhny Depp's "The Brave"... I wonder if it's on Netflix? Hmmm... gotta go check now...

Last night I saw the scariest thing ever on TV!!! Octomom: the unseen footage! My husband and I were hiding under the blankets... absolutely horrified.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,324,668 times
The Blair Witch Project.

That was the most frightening movie I ever saw. It was awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies