Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:41 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,290,008 times

Advertisements

I grew up in the 70s and 80s on movies like Jaws, Star Wars, and Raiders Of The Lost Ark, but as I get older, I have developed more of an appreciation for older movies, and have found some that are absolutley wonderful films. My favorite oldies are Seargent York, Pride Of The Yankees, Twelve Angry Men, Mister Roberts, It's A Wonderful Life, and The Best Years Of Their Lives. These were all films made in an era when actors had to BE the entire movie, and there were no dazzling special effects to overshadow a shallow plot and mediocre performance by the cast. Just my opinion of course, but don't automatically rule a movie out simply because it's old - you'll be losing out on a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,145,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Plus, movies in the 20s, 30s and 40s were coming from a more theater-based and vaudeville origin. They weren't necessarily meant to be realistic. They were meant to be entertaining.

I believe this to be spot on! I'm in my early 20s and I enjoy old movies (and opera). Especially given all of the special effects and other stuff that we have these days, to really portray an idea, time or emotion ability took much more from the actor/actress in some ways.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:42 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
I love all those old sophisticated adult dramas and comedies made back then.

Today's movies seem to be made for teenage boys with all the smut in them and car chases, etc. I saw a movie tonight that made me want to get up and walk out. One young couple did leave. It was truly one of the most gross, obscene and offensive movies out there. Suppose to be a comedy and it seems those are the most offensive today. They try to push the envelope for more laughs but it just gets nauseating.

Once in awhile you will get a good, laugh out loud comedy but not very often. I did hear that August was the month for the throw away movies to get rid of the stinkers. Boy, did this one live up to that. Guess I will stop going until the fall when the big releases come out.

I'd rather watch a good old movie than a new gross one any day.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:23 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,825,082 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson
i just dont beleive that people acted and talked that way - ever.
Im sorry but back then PEOPLE HAD THIER OWN MINDS.... THEY WERE NOT RE-PROGRAMMED ROBOTS AS THEY ARE NOW (Which is why every movie,etc is trash now (They cant think for themselves anymore and release something good))

MOVIES FROM THE 80s AND EARLIER ARE SUPERB IN EVERY WAY!!!! (Most of them)

Old 11-19-2015, 07:06 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Different strokes. I don't get The Wizard of Oz for instance but I do have several classics in my collection like Casablanca, Angels with Dirty Faces and White Heat. I think it may be specific movies than all "classics" in general.

Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 AM

I love Casablanca!!!!

Absolutely incredible..... Mr. Bogart is amazing

Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
I don't think the acting technique found in modern blockbusters is believable by a long shot. In fact, the acting is practically unnecessary.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM

Yup..... Its hard for zombies to come up with anything good or creative!!

Old 11-25-2015, 08:25 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
I LOVE old movies. In fact, I think most older films are better than movies that come out today. I understand your points on why you don't like them. Not everyone can or will appreciate something like that, when we have the types of movies we have today. I think people's expectations are higher (regarding acting, line deliverance, effects, music/scores, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies