U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 04:49 PM

6,342 posts, read 8,759,412 times

Advertisements

I have met allot of people who claimed that they were "musically well rounded" and "knew allot about music", only to see that their definition was not my definition, or most people's definitions I would think.

There are allot of classic rock experts out there who, when you talk to them, claim to know about music, but then you realize that they know nothing about music past 1970. It is one thing to know about music, it is another to have such a thorough understanding of classic rock, and another to have some understanding of music, PERIOD.

Then there are the "classical only" snobs, who are of the impression that if it doesn't have a full orchestra, it's crap ( so, I suppose chamber music and the solos of Erik Satie are just "crap" too) They claim to know music and claim to be "well rounded", when really they are no better then the fellows who refuse to listen to anything but rap.

I am of the opinion that someone who knows music and is musically well rounded is someone who can appreciate all forms of music and knows at least alittle about just about every genre, and not just a guy who thinks he's an music expert because he knows every minutiae of Beetle's lore to the point of knowing Ringo Star's favorite breakfast cerel during the '68-'70 era, but cannot name one goth rock band, or the fellow who thinks he's well rounded because he can name every one of Beethoven's symphonies but cannot name one single classic soul group.

I do not think I am an expert on music. I have so much more to learn and finding new (or at least, new to me) music is one of my pleasures in life. However, I do have a favorite death metal band (Arch Enemy) a favorite classic soul group ( The Commodores) a favorite classical composer (okay, maybe not one. It's a toss up between Edvard Grieg and Felix Mendelssohn, and I know they are technically romantic, and not classical, but hey...) a favorite pop group (Duran Duran or, more recenetly, Goldfrapp) and a favorite rapper (Busta Rhymes) So, I find that I am indeed at least somewhat more well-rounded then allot of the "snobs" are.

But still, I take heat from people because I cannot name every Paul McCarthy song ever made and they claim that that means that "I don't know about music" and yet, these are the same people who do not know the name of so much as one power metal band (Blind Guardian being the best of all time) or being able to say what the letters EBM stand for.

Anybody else notice this? The music snobs really don't know much about as a whole, but only the one genre they feel comfortable in. If only people could branch out and explore, they would see that there is so much great music out there waiting to be found.

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-27-2009 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Moved from MUSIC forum - CHAT thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM

388 posts, read 768,823 times
I'm deffinitely not an expert on music!!! Just a little here and there! Shoot I don't even know all of the 80s music.. I can tell ya a little about Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Cars, Prince, Thompson Twins, etc. even a little about the Christian rock scene from the 80s. The 90s I dunno maybe if I tried hard enough I could think of some of that music such as Lincoln Park, Blood hound Gang, and probably some more. And 2000s music geeze..out the door... mainly I like getting cds from music that I listened to growing up. I don't listen to the radio to much. My wife she's more of a Metal head. When we met in High School she was the Metallica freak and I was the Depeche Mode, Alphaville freak, and I even worked in a Counry Music radio station in Salem Oh. as an intern....
I remember some music from different kids in the group home I was in such as Dio, Ratt, Foreigner, Santana.
When I was in OSA school at Dam Neck I got introduced to the industrial scene and a taste of the Gothic scene a little of Front 242, Frontline Assembly.
I always had a taste for symphony music also. Like Bach, Mozart, Beetoven.
But as far as knowing everything...naa....I just like music!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:35 AM

12,073 posts, read 16,809,609 times
I think you can claim to know a lot about music if you are an expert at one genre. I don't really know why it would rattle you so much.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,826,364 times
I think that Paul Shaffer is an example of someone who is musically well-rounded and knows a lot about music.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:41 AM

19,121 posts, read 26,731,111 times
I think to be musically well rounded you need to know the basics and the 'skeleton' of music. You should know WHY certain music sounds good, and others don't. Melody, rhythm, scales, chords etc etc. et al.

If you understand the bare bones of music theory, you can jump from genre to genre and appreciate EVERY type of music for what they are. Except maybe screamo. Terrible music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or