U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:46 PM

3,746 posts, read 6,814,141 times

Advertisements

Miniseries may end up doing an okay adaptation, but a standard movie has never met my expectations. It may be cynical but I know Lovely Bones will not either. A book I thought would be a great movie (but its not very "deep" is Black Girl, White Girl by Joyce Carol Oates - interesting premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:30 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,045,658 times
Last night I saw again on TV "The girl with the pearl earring" and again I liked it.
I remember going to the cinema with trepidation because I had really enjoyed the book and was worried the film would just stress the wrong things. Instead the film was quite true to the atmosphere of the book although it was a mistake changing a bit the end.

As usual a movie can never convey all that is in a book but I thought this one was alright.

I would add:

Away from the madding crowd
Sense and Sensibility (With Emma Thomson)
Holes

I also agree with those who mentioned:

To kill a Mockingbird
Pride and Prejudice
The Cider House Rules

Old 12-28-2009, 11:15 PM

270 posts, read 391,126 times
I agree with most of these, although I thought the Da Vinci Code movie was better...but I'm not a huge Dan Brown fan. I love his concepts and plot ideas but his dialogue is TERRIBLE. Seriously inspires me to want to sit down and write a novel cause if he can do it and be a success...

I'd also like to add Gone with the Wind, Interview with the Vampire and The Other Boleyn Girl as good books-->movies

Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 AM

15,086 posts, read 13,571,260 times
"Hotel" is a great book and the movie is also very, very good.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM

7,262 posts, read 10,188,088 times
I would second Gone With the Wind, great book, great movie. The only instance I can think of where I love both equally.

Pride and Prejudice (w/Colin Firth) another vote.

Loved the book The Voice of Bugle Ann which I understand was a popular well thought of movie in the late 30s but I haven't seen the movie.

I disagree with Lord of the Rings. Love the books. Loved them. Thought a good half of the main characters were entirely miscast to the point where I've only been able to watch the movies in bits and pieces.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,013,226 times
Dune - I felt that both the 1984 movie and the 2000 Sci-fi Channel Mini-series, failed to capture the universe that the book describes.

King Solomons Mines - Apart from maybe the 1937 version? Most of the versions wander too far away from the book

Moby Dick - I would say that both the 1956 and 1998 TV versions stick quite close to the book.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:11 PM

1,561 posts, read 3,275,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Good job:

The English Patient (I know, everyone else *hates* this movie with the heat of a trillion suns, but I liked it, and disliked the stream-of-consciousness novel)
This was exactly the movie I was going to note as the only one I could think of where the movie was better than the book. I struggled through the book but enjoyed the movie.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:19 PM

13,069 posts, read 9,047,700 times
Wag the Dog based on the Novel American Hero. The book differs greatly from the movie. In the book, the president is specifically George H W Bush(in the movie he is unnamed), the fake war operation is desert storm, and the war actually occurs, instead of being entirely falsified.

True Grit. The dialouge and plot points remain true to the novel except the ending which was changed in the movie by author Charles Portis to provide a more uplifting ending.Skillful blend of quirky chracters.John Wanyes first and only oscar, not bad for a one eyed fat man.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:13 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,990,236 times
As a general knee-jerk reaction, I will say that most books suffer when made into movies, but some have come off quite well

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote followed the book almost perfectly.

As far as failures, one sticks out like a sore thumb to me. The failure is not surprising, considering the stratospheric greatness of the book, Catch-22. Really, they shouldn't even have tried.

Another that they should have just left alone was North Dallas Forty by Peter Gent, but I'm sure the unwashed sports masses enjoyed it. I did not, the movie, that it. The book was brilliant.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:17 AM

8,089 posts, read 6,578,443 times
The film Cross of Iron was superior to the book.

Same with Moby Dick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies