U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

12,501 posts, read 17,173,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I can't believe you left the book/movie Beaches off your list. Just kidding
Was BEACHES really a book? I had no idea. I would rather sit in a tub of vinegar and be forced to watch a Werner Herzog film on fat farms rather than have to sit through BEACHES again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 PM

448 posts, read 111,493 times
Glad Mark S mentioned LA Confidential. It won the Academy Award for adaptation and I sat through the show telling my husband over and over again that if it didn't win, I would never watch the Awards again. I still remember marveling at how many important subplots came out for it to end up movie-length and it still retained the story line so well.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 PM

1,034 posts, read 430,092 times
I find the film 'The Talented Mr Ripley' to be just as good as the book, but in different ways. Highsmith has a way of transporting you with her words.

The Godfather was much better as a book, in my opinion. the scene where Michael meets Apollonia for the first time is one of the most beautifully-written scenes I've ever read.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:36 AM

114 posts, read 44,181 times
The American Psycho movie was better than the book.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:19 AM

25 posts, read 6,178 times
The Devil Wears Prada was one I enjoyed a lot, both the book as well as the movie. Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly was beyond outstanding and Anne Hathaway fit the bill perfectly. I also enjoyed watching He's Just Not That Into You after reading the book. Bridget Jones's Diary is also one of my all-time favorites, especially the movie, which I thought was much better than the book itself. A terrific British comedy, I must say. Even the animated How To Train Your Dragon parts I and II were fabulous and the animation was totally wonderful, even though I did not enjoy the books and these dragon games based on the characters much. DreamWorks is said to be hard at work on the third part of the series which is due in another year or so.

The Da Vinci Code comes to mind when one thinks about bad, bad movie adaptations of books. Such a great storyline and the movie seemed just so desperate somehow. Even Tom Hanks couldn't make it work, though the following Angels and Demons was a tad better, perhaps.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:14 PM

1 posts, read 113 times
That`s the best movie about Dracula I`ve ever seen: https://solarmovie.tube/673-dracula-untold-2014.html
there is a bunch of other, but this one is exceptional. Perhaps not a subject of this particular discussion, but the movie is great

Old 06-04-2017, 05:54 PM

11,928 posts, read 9,230,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What movies do you think were well-translated into movies? And which were not?

I think they did a great job of making Stephen King's The Stand into a movie, although it was really a miniseries. Same with The Green Mile. Another is Apollo 13. The book was originally titled Lost Moon.

The worst job I've ever seen of making a book into a movie was The Prince of Tides. I saw the movie, thought it was pretty good, and then a friend of mine said, "uh-uh, read the book." I did, and then I was completely angry with Barbra Streisand, who made the movie as a showcase for herself.

The book is one of best stories I've ever read. The movie is about one-eighth of the book. The title character does not even APPEAR in the movie!

The movie of Where the Red Fern Grows did NO justice to the book. The book is a classic. Required reading in my family. The movie does not put the emotion into it the book imparts.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM

8,122 posts, read 2,104,635 times
I liked the books of The Relic and Jurassic Park better than the movies. I thought that The Road and No Country For Old Men were flawless adaptations of the books

Old 06-05-2017, 05:59 PM

11,720 posts, read 1,355,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What movies do you think were well-translated into movies? And which were not?

I think they did a great job of making Stephen King's The Stand into a movie, although it was really a miniseries. Same with The Green Mile. Another is Apollo 13. The book was originally titled Lost Moon.

The worst job I've ever seen of making a book into a movie was The Prince of Tides. I saw the movie, thought it was pretty good, and then a friend of mine said, "uh-uh, read the book." I did, and then I was completely angry with Barbra Streisand, who made the movie as a showcase for herself.

The book is one of best stories I've ever read. The movie is about one-eighth of the book. The title character does not even APPEAR in the movie!
I thought the movie "Friday Night Lights" did not do the book justice.I liked the book better.The book was really controversial in Midland-Odessa,Texas when it came out so they downplayed the controversial themes in the movie.I am big fan of Dracula but no adaptation has been 100 percent faithful to the book.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 PM

262 posts, read 64,354 times
My favorite author, John Irving, has a mixed bag when it comes to film adaptations of his books. The World According To Garp was pretty good, not as good as the book. The Hotel New Hampshire was terrible. The Cider House Rules is probably the best of the lot, being as how Irving wrote the screenplay himself, although obviously he had to leave a lot out or else it would be a 6 hour movie. I've never seen The Door On The Floor, and I refuse to see Simon Birch (based on A Prayer for Owen Meany) out of sheer principle. There is simply no way that any movie could do that book justice.

Another book which seems to be unfilmable is the graphic novel Watchmen. I thought the movie was okay considering how much they had to leave out (again, it would be a 6 hour movie) and the fact that it was directed by Zach Snyder. Who never should have been allowed anywhere near Superman or Batman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies