Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,711,405 times

Advertisements

Lord of the Rings, the Godfather, a Clockwork Orange. Recently I saw Where the Wild Things Are and I thought it was a pretty good adaption, but not excellent. And I highly enjoyed Pride and Prejudice (the BBC version with Colin Firth, even though I think its technically a mini series and not a film).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,009,321 times
While I've enjoyed (usually) the screen versions of novels that I've read, nothing comes close to the readers' imagination. IMHO.

Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jaws.

The movie was almost a disaster as it went over budget and the timing of filming was terrible, but they pulled it off. A true Blockbuster, even though there are scenes with no leaves on the trees. (It was supposed to be summertime on the island of Amity).

There's a term in the movie industry that escapes me now....it has to do with keeping jet airplanes out of the scene where dinosaurs are roaming....

The Exorcist.

Certainly quite "edgy" for the times, but the film scared the hell out of people, as well as the book. Prob'ly my all time favorite for the "Book to movie" category.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:37 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,424,047 times
The Silence of the Lambs was both a great book and a great movie - excellent adaptation. And Jurassic Park turned out better than the book (I thought).

Old 12-16-2009, 06:11 AM

35 posts, read 68,624 times
hi,
I feel TWILIGHT in twilight series was well made in film. i liked it when i saw the movie after reading that novel.
the characters go well and we can match them to the characters in the book i liked it very much.
have not yet saw the NEW MOON which is recently released.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,960,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
We watched TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD . Have not seen it in many years but wanted my young son to see it.
It was one of my favorite books and the movie adaption is stellar.
When Scout sees "Boo" for the first time ( behind the door) and their eyes meet, I was all tears.
Timeless book and movie
Did you know Boo was Robert Duvall

Old 12-17-2009, 01:16 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,960,802 times
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Foryste Saga 1967
The Godfather

Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,853,316 times
Better movie than book- The Prestige
Equally good- The Cruel Sea
Better book than movie- any number of books, but I'll nominate Tales of the South Pacific as it is one of my favourite books.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:53 PM

87,993 posts, read 83,805,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
While I've enjoyed (usually) the screen versions of novels that I've read, nothing comes close to the readers' imagination. IMHO.

Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jaws.

The movie was almost a disaster as it went over budget and the timing of filming was terrible, but they pulled it off. A true Blockbuster, even though there are scenes with no leaves on the trees. (It was supposed to be summertime on the island of Amity).

There's a term in the movie industry that escapes me now....it has to do with keeping jet airplanes out of the scene where dinosaurs are roaming....

The Exorcist.

Certainly quite "edgy" for the times, but the film scared the hell out of people, as well as the book. Prob'ly my all time favorite for the "Book to movie" category.
I read the book Jaws a year or two before the movie came out--although some key elements were changed (Hooper has an affair with Brody's wife and is killed by the shark when it bites through his diving cage, for one), the movie worked very well the way it was made.

Could the term you are thinking of be "continuity"? There is a continuity director who is supposed to make sure glasses are filled correctly for each scene, cigarettes are not out, relit, out again, etc.

One mistake that immediately comes to mind is Rose in Titanic walking up the staircase to meet Jack--as she starts up the staircase there is a black lace insert in her dress, then the camera goes to Jack watching her, then back to her and the lace insert is gone, then back to Jack, then back to Rose where the lace insert has now reappeared.

Old 12-25-2009, 05:57 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,263,772 times
Well Lonesome Dove certainly comes to mind for me. One of the best book I've ever read

Phenomenal Book = Great Mini Series

(Haven't read these books though)

Band of Brothers (Mini Series)
Shawshank Redemption

Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM

133 posts, read 417,796 times
The Virgin Suicides - Beautiful book and movie
I am the cheese- amazing book, terrible film
Patiently waiting for the Lovely Bones, hope its' just as amazing as the book is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies