Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:41 AM

204 posts, read 617,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I guess we have no history of political science buffs here. Because I think the anti-apartheid metaphor in District 9 was so in-your-face obvious and preachy that it put a bit of a damper on an otherwise pretty enjoyable movie for me. The director, of course, is South African, and this was his first movie.
I saw it last night and it wasn't what I expected. I really enjoyed it. Yes, the metaphor was out there; perhaps this is sort of a modern day "Planet of the Apes"? I saw the PofA movies as a kid/teen and the impact was much different than it would have been had I seen those much later in life. District 9 was engaging and I appreciated what the filmaker was attempting to do. Great? No. But worthwhile, definitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 07:52 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
I thought it was very good. Not at all what I expected. The fx were amazing, and the story had me hooked from the first scene.... I definitely think it helps to be a sci fi geek like myself to appreciate it. Just my opinion.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
Hubby and I watched it finally and he didn't care for it at all. As for me, I thought the beginning was alittle bit draggy but overall it was okay and if a sequel is made will probably see it.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 AM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,136 times
I lke that movie. The special effects were amazing.

In my opinion the movie had hidden messages. Basically the Aliens were stranded on Earth in all places South Africa (History of Apartheid). In the slums (Project or Concentration camp) were they were kept away from civilization near the natives that were poor from that country. The government installed a fence that circle the whole parameter of the camp to keep the Aliens from ever escaping. The governement harassed the Aliens by keeping them without basic survival food except Cat food (Drugs). Cat food kept the Aliens fiening for Cat-Nip and dead cattle meat. They even had Cat Food Dealers selling it like Crack to keep them at bay.

The funny scene was when the news media broadcasted Alien-to Human Prostitution. To me that is some of the examples of how the media can lie or distort the truth so people can fear the Aliens. (People)

That scientist who was sent into the camp to evict the Aliens got infected by that Alien air freshner knew what the government really wanted to do with the (Aliens) and only then he decided to help the Aliens fight against the government when he started to change into one.

Thats what I got out of the movie. Just another example of how civilization can be grand to others and hell to the un-wanted.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,519 times
I thought it was very good.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
My Netflix copy came yesterday.
Watched it last night.
Woke up this morning wishing I had a basket of Giant Prawns for breakfast.
I'm glad I didn't wake up wanting a can of Cat Food.
I have to go to town to get the Prawns.
But the Cat Food is right here on the shelf.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
So you were expecting to see ID4 remade but were disappointed when it turned out to be what you think is a love story? For what I understand of the movie, it was supposed to be political commentary. Please explain why you thought it was a love story.

If nothing else, the effects are enough to go WOW about. Those aliens were spookily real looking.
the movie focused more on trying use their weapons and housing them in district 9 than anything. the morphing of the guy to an alien was creepy but not that easy to understand "how" it changed him. all it did was show him inhale some motor oil fumes and spaz out. then this love story began about his wife still loving him and he can't get to her. really stupid movie. and NO, the aliens weren't as scary as predator was.

and the ship....oh please...all it needed was a oil change and it was good to go? and I thought the alien who started the ship was just one of the many slaves they had on board when the ship showed up.

RIP OFF DISTRICT 9!!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 AM

809 posts, read 1,862,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
district 9 was a spoof of a the real district 6 they used aleins instead of people

District Six (Afrikaans Distrik Ses) is the name of a former inner-city residential area in Cape Town, South Africa. It is best known for the forced removal of over 60,000 of its inhabitants during the 1970s by the apartheid regime.

Government officials gave four primary reasons for the removals. In accordance with apartheid philosophy, it stated that interracial interaction bred conflict, necessitating the separation of the races. They deemed District Six a slum, fit only for clearance, not rehabilitation. They also portrayed the area as crime-ridden and dangerous; they claimed that the district was a vice den, full of immoral activities like gambling, drinking, and prostitution. Though these were the official reasons, most residents believed that the government sought the land because of its proximity to the city center, Table Mountain, and the harbor.

On 11 February 1966, the government declared District Six a whites-only area under the Group Areas Act, with removals starting in 1968. By 1982, more than 60,000 people had been relocated to the sandy, bleak Cape Flats township complex some 25 kilometers away. The old houses were bulldozed. The only buildings left standing were places of worship. International and local pressure made redevelopment difficult for the government, however. The Cape Technikon (now Cape Peninsula University of Technology) was built on a portion of District Six which the government renamed Zonnebloem. Apart from this and some police housing units, the area was left undeveloped.
Since the fall of apartheid in 1994, the African National Congress has recognized the older claims of former residents to the area, and pledged to support rebuilding.

District 9 is a 2009 science fiction film produced by Peter Jackson and directed by Neill Blomkamp. Although set in an alternate Johannesburg, it is inspired by the events surrounding District Six.

to learn more go to District Six, Cape Town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So District 9 was really based on South African Apartheid movement?

Now I'm even more disgusted.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:41 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,021 times
Finally saw it, very interesting but I did not enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. I already knew the basic premise and aparthied parallels, so I wasn't expecting PREDATOR or INDEPENDENCE DAY, but had problems with a number of plot holes and unanswered questions, and I found the ending rather unsatifying.

I am also starting to really dislike documentary style "jerky camera" movies. But if you are a sci-fi fan, check it out!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
...I found the ending rather unsatifying...
Don't worry.

He's coming back.

And he won't be alone.

And they will all be mean and angry.

And their weapons will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies