U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 PM

3,936 posts, read 5,449,015 times

Advertisements

Is everyone finally getting fed up with movies that portray violence toward women? The movie 'The Killer Inside Me' is sparking controversy because of its violence. I prefer no violence against anyone, but, is that really feasible for movie goers? Here's an article about the movie. A rumor got started that even Jessica Alba got up and left in the middle of the movie, implying that she was so disgusted with it, but, then read that was because she had to get back to the States, so that rumor isn't true. Will you go to see this movie? I'm undecided.
IFC Buys ‘The Killer Inside’ AKA ‘That One Movie Where Jessica Alba is Severely Spanked’

IFC Buys ‘The Killer Inside’ AKA ‘That One Movie Where Jessica Alba is Severely Spanked’

IFC Films has a history of picking up controversial thrillers and their record remains intact at this year’s Sundance Film Festival.
Their first pick at the Park City trade show is Michael Winterbottom’s The Killer Inside Me, which reportedly played to a “noisy audience” at the Eccles Theatre on Saturday.
Based on the Jim Thompson 1952 pulp novel and adapted for screen by John Curan (The Painted Veil), The Killer Inside Me was purchased by the firm for a figure “just north” of $1 million, making the movie the ninth sale at this year’s Sundance.
The Killer Inside Me stars Casey Affleck as a sociopathic small-town Texas deputy sheriff. In the movie, Affleck’s sheriff violently beats characters played by Jessica Alba (the hooker!) and Kate Hudson (the wife!). A trailer debuted late last year showing some of the disturbing imagery.
Winterbottom (A Mighty Heart) makes no apologies for the extreme violence: “The violence is shocking in the book and it’s shocking in the film,” he says. “It’s not a police procedural. The story is being told by someone who’s crazy. The story is the way he tells it and sees it, not the way it happened. The film has no sense of pleasure in the violence.
“The audience didn’t understand that when they watch this shocking violence, Casey is not the hero where the audience gets off on it. It should be shocking and brutal.”
IFC have already announced that The Killer Inside Me will be released this summer via a small
theatrical run along with VOD channels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 24,873,761 times
Rented the movie today - pretty eerie. I like film noir, but the violence in this one was too much. I think the story could have been told without the graphic scenes. I also had to put on the subtitles as I couldn't understand the West Texas dialogue. I do like movies that portray the 1950s as this one did. I'd give this movie a thumbs up - but didn't appreciate the excessive violence.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:37 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times
I have a problem with uber-violence in movies too, but I love noir and neo-noir and I'm wild with curiosity to see what they made of the book and the Thompson atmosphere. Some of the places they shot in Oklahoma I'm familiar with and I hope they made the most of the sad, sinister qualities possible to find out there. Jim Thompson was quite the scary piece of work himself. The book was filmed earlier by Stanley Kubrick, I think it was his first film -- The Killing, 1956. The Getaway and The Grifters were based on Thompson books, too.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 PM

34,990 posts, read 33,866,355 times
Some interesting observations on the too honest? violence in this movie. The first commenter says, "the net result... has been to raise important questions about the depiction of violence against women – whether intentionally or accidentally."

The Killer Inside Me: can the violence be justified? | Film | The Observer

But, Too much violence spoils 'The Killer Inside Me' - Entertainment (http://media.www.depauliaonline.com/media/storage/paper1414/news/2010/06/23/Entertainment/Too-Much.Violence.Spoils.the.Killer.Inside.Me-3922389.shtml - broken link)

Old 10-24-2010, 07:51 PM

2,725 posts, read 3,963,088 times
I saw it about a month or longer ago on pay per view on the box. I was really looking forward to it, since I liked Gone baby gone and the Assassination of Jessee James. I really like Casey Affleck as an actor. He's actually been doing a lot of movies since the nineties. Anyway, movie was not as good as I thought it would be. It's adequate. But nothing to noteworthy. It could have been better and the ending was lame.

As far as the violence of it. I think that the director was trying to portray his character which actually had some lack of definition.

Odd serial killer movies like this don't always work. I liked minus man and Kalifornia. Both very different, but their impact works better with the storyline.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,561,119 times
It was a stupid movie anyways. Violence against women has always been in movies. It just so happens that nowadays it's much more realistic like everything else.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:07 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,067,735 times
It was extremely brutal and disturbing. I had no clue what the movie was about. Other than the guy at the checkout line said it was a good movie.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:02 PM

7,843 posts, read 11,145,890 times
Count me out. There are always justifications for gratuitous violence but they don't wash. There's a lot of violence against kids. Do we really need to watch kids beaten to a pulp to realize its a problem? Decent people don't need to see it to get the point. And its always good looking young women. Something for the creeps to get off on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or