U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times

Advertisements

I think it was one of the best sci-fi action films I have seen in awhile. I won't write out any spoilers without warning and ask all posters to put up a "spolier alert" warning with a blank space before typing.

I went in totally fresh other than seeing the preview thing on youtube.

It made it so good.

But I could not watch it twice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,482,893 times
I thought it was good, even thought provoking, considering the situation and treatment of the aliens. Overall a good movie though, as you mention, it would be hard to watch twice as the whole draw of it was the unknowing.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:07 AM

82 posts, read 122,971 times
Yes dear, It is the best movie which I have ever seen. It is my favorite one. I watched it with my friends and trust me we enjoyed this movie very much.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,639,873 times
It was alright. Not great. Definitely doesn't fall under the umbrella of "disturbing."

Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 PM

8,415 posts, read 34,319,158 times
SPOILER ALERT*****************************

I found it disturbing because I did not expect the emotional part of it. I thought it was going to be more cold and action like. But it had emotions like asian films can. I don't know if any of you watch korean or japanese films but those always have that disturbing twist. (like "old boy")

I also found it disturbing because I saw the social commentary on how our nation does handle outsiders. With fear and hatred. And then the controller turned into the controlled. Trapped and in love with an outside element that it can never touch again..God! ANd the little metal flower at the end made me want to cry.

I also have been watching a bunch of news footage of real life Iran issues, and reading conflict history of poor treatment of people in general. Just a bit before seeing this there was footage on youtube of a protesting old man that was unarmed. He was just shot in the head like how they did in the aliens. I wonder when people see the movie do they really know or feel about it going on in real life. Does it occur to them? I don't know. I know it made the movie have much more impact for me. I could not watch it twice because it gave me that strange uncomfortable feeling like Pan's Labyrinth. The actual draw I think was just to see the digital work of the alien bodies. LOL. yeh...I get crazy for that sorta thing. (oh that looks so fake...lol) Which all the SFX in this movie were AWESOME! I did not feel like I was watching SFX. That always can ruin something for me...too digi looking and not smooth.

You did not find them using a living alien for target practice and FORCING the social worker mutant man to shoot him disturbing? That and the meathead killing one of the alien couple made me feel rather ugly inside. And I felt so sad for the alien when he saw the body of his partner just in torn disgrace on the lab table slab. Again...wanted to cry. He just stood there staring in a shower of bullets. It was so sad.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:32 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,098,612 times
Yes, I found it very disturbing. I wouldn't watch again. When the movie started the movie started. It wasn't a sit up like other movies. It was straight to the point. WOW!!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:36 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
I found this movie disappointing at best. I also couldn't help but notice the pronounced South African slant of the movie with the apartheid attitude clearly displayed.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 PM

10,005 posts, read 8,715,891 times
I did not think it was disturbing as much as it was thought provoking. It is not everyday that you see a sci-fi film with that kind of ethically, complex relationship between humans and aliens.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:51 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I did not think it was disturbing as much as it was thought provoking. It is not everyday that you see a sci-fi film with that kind of ethically, complex relationship between humans and aliens.
Nor should that relationship look very much like old line S. African apartheid IMO.

I really fail to see that humans , as things are now, are equipped to surmise what an alien/human relationship would look like 'cause we won't know 'till it happens.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:37 PM

14,693 posts, read 22,460,513 times
This is off topic but you don't have to type SPOILER ALERT and put spaces before your text. Select whatever text is the spoiler and then click Show/Hide. Then you can put Spoiler Alert above it and people have to click to see it.

Spoiler Alert

Spoiler
This is a spoiler alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or