U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 AM

95 posts, read 81,050 times

Advertisements

really looking forward to watch this one... Hope its going to be as good as anime!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM

12,157 posts, read 10,784,935 times
I just watched a behind the scenes of Nick and I'm not looking forward to it. I really don't like M. Night Shylaman (sp is wrong I know but I don't feel like looking it up) He already changed the pronunciation of Aang's name, which isn't a big deal but it annoyed me. And he took the kyoshi warriors out of the movie. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the whole movie kinda lost it's ethnic touch with the casting...I don't know we shall see if he butchers one of my favorite cartoons

Old 06-30-2010, 09:07 PM

5,561 posts, read 8,987,504 times
uh-oh, not a good sign:

The Last Airbender review: Michael Phillips says M. Night Shyamalan's losing streak continues - chicagotribune.com

only 1.5 stars. I'm not typically one to let critics dictate what I watch, but I fear bad reviews will stall the trilogy, like it did w/ The Golden Compass. pity since Book 2 is so much better than Book 1. I find it funny he didn't really review the performances

currently watching the special behind-the-scenes and find it SO ironic that MNS changed the pronunciation of some of names (BTW, HATE how they pronounce Aang personally) to make it sound more Asian and ground it more to that culture, yet infamously, has received a lot of (IMHO, well deserved) criticism for white washing the cast

ETA: Ah HELL NO!!! he took out Suki and the Kyoshi Warriors?? that already messes up the whole Ba Sing Sa/Boiling Rock story, not to mention ruins Sokka's story. BOO!!

Last edited by eevee; 06-30-2010 at 09:20 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I just watched a behind the scenes of Nick and I'm not looking forward to it. I really don't like M. Night Shylaman (sp is wrong I know but I don't feel like looking it up) He already changed the pronunciation of Aang's name, which isn't a big deal but it annoyed me. And he took the kyoshi warriors out of the movie. Maybe it's just me but it seems that the whole movie kinda lost it's ethnic touch with the casting...I don't know we shall see if he butchers one of my favorite cartoons
oops, started typing before I read this, but funny enough, I agree 100%. I'm still somewhat looking forward to it, but I'm already annoyed by how much has been altered. I can deal w/ some changes (i.e, dropping MoMo or reducing the humor a bit to fit a darker tone, or maybe even dropping Jet), but these are tough to handle and makes me scared at what else was dropped

and it seems pointless to mention how all the heroes in the TV show were "ethnic" looking (okay, I'll admit Aang is a toss up and Noah Ringer can pass for him, but no excuse for Sokka and Katara!) yet are white in the movie, but the Fire Nation in the movie seems to be made up of some very "ethnic" actors. hmm . Zuko doesn't count as a "hero" yet, and I don't remember who they casted as Iroh, but otherwise, it seems like an egregious cast of white washing

Old 07-01-2010, 09:07 AM

4,409 posts, read 10,146,787 times
Roger Ebert crucified this movie. And Rotten Tomatos gave it a 05 %.
I guess this director was a one trick pony and better hang up his directors hat. He is on an amazing loosing streak.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:23 PM

yup, it's official: movie sucked balls. I'm saving my meager movie-going funds for Inception instead. and a huge GFY to Shama-lama-ding-dong for ruining what could have been an awesome movie franchise. this one-hit-wonder needs to fade away already (as a side note, the girl talking about June really does look like her, IMHO). hopefully, this movie won't be some people's first introduction to the story and they swear off the TV show.

YouTube - FANS UNLEASH EPIC HATE FOR THE LAST AIRBENDER

Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 PM

1,620 posts, read 1,653,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
oops, started typing before I read this, but funny enough, I agree 100%. I'm still somewhat looking forward to it, but I'm already annoyed by how much has been altered. I can deal w/ some changes (i.e, dropping MoMo or reducing the humor a bit to fit a darker tone, or maybe even dropping Jet), but these are tough to handle and makes me scared at what else was dropped

and it seems pointless to mention how all the heroes in the TV show were "ethnic" looking (okay, I'll admit Aang is a toss up and Noah Ringer can pass for him, but no excuse for Sokka and Katara!) yet are white in the movie, but the Fire Nation in the movie seems to be made up of some very "ethnic" actors. hmm . Zuko doesn't count as a "hero" yet, and I don't remember who they casted as Iroh, but otherwise, it seems like an egregious cast of white washing

i have to agree with you here. The guy playing Sokka was suppose to play Zuko the kid firebender. That seams more right ethnically because the kid playing Zuko is supposed to be Sokka. Anyways i can't wait to see. I won't know about it til i see it. Loved the show

Old 07-01-2010, 11:06 PM

I've already decided I'll wait for it to come to the dollar movie...it's sad this wasn't picked up by someone with talent

Old 07-01-2010, 11:51 PM

10,348 posts, read 7,337,108 times
Ol' M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong needs a hit in the worst way.

His last good movie was "Unbreakable".

Old 07-02-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Ol' M. Night Shamalama Ding Dong needs a hit in the worst way.

His last good movie was "Unbreakable".
I hated that movie..is that the one hit everyone is referring to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies