Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 AM

61 posts, read 174,164 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I am in the minority on this one, but "The Dark Knight" is tops on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times
Star Wars
Star Trek
Lord of the Ring
Pirates of the Caribbean
The Matrix
Troy
Titanic
Startrek
All the Batman movies
The English Patient
Shakespeare in Love
Slumdog Millionaire
A Fish called Wanda
Pretty much most Hollywood big budget blockbusters disappoint IMO - Too much hype, and no substance on the whole

Old 02-18-2010, 09:26 AM

204 posts, read 617,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Star Wars

Pretty much most Hollywood big budget blockbusters disappoint IMO - Too much hype, and no substance on the whole
To make blockbuster level wouldn't the movie have appeal to the largest movie going demographic? So if one is outside that group there's a good chance the blockbuster is not going to be all that appealing.

It's like pop music, our tastes change and move beyond the mass appeal stuff as we mature and experience more things.

Saying you don't like "Forrest Gump" (which I don't ) is like saying you don't like Beyonce (which I don't). It's O.K. Some of us are also not 18 years old anymore .

Movie viewing demographics can be kind of interesting...here's a link that discusses Netflix preferences: A Peek Into Netflix Queues - NYTimes.com

Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM

319 posts, read 634,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
To make blockbuster level wouldn't the movie have appeal to the largest movie going demographic? So if one is outside that group there's a good chance the blockbuster is not going to be all that appealing.

It's like pop music, our tastes change and move beyond the mass appeal stuff as we mature and experience more things.

Saying you don't like "Forrest Gump" (which I don't ) is like saying you don't like Beyonce (which I don't). It's O.K. Some of us are also not 18 years old anymore .

Movie viewing demographics can be kind of interesting...here's a link that discusses Netflix preferences: A Peek Into Netflix Queues - NYTimes.com
That's an amzaing thing from the NYT! I'd love to see the numbers from Milwaukee.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
"Brokeback Mountain".

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,086 times
The Hangover-It just wasn't funny.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:59 AM

319 posts, read 634,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
The Hangover-It just wasn't funny.
I laughed so hard I cried a couple times during that movie (which is very rare for me). Absurdist humor of the highest order. That guy in the trunk...good lord I'm chuckling just thinking about it.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,358 times
2012 - A movie deplicting events that will come in the year 2012. Playing on our fears to earn money in the box office. "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my father only" Matthew 24:24

Old 02-18-2010, 12:18 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,206 times
Spiderman
Pirates of the Carribean
Transformers
The Matrix

All of them were enjoyable...but I thought it was "meh, that's it?"

At least The Dark Knight has Heath Ledger's psycho acting and Avatar had the beautiful CG...but the blue girl's crying were a bit cheesy and forced....

Old 02-18-2010, 12:36 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,274,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
I try to avoid them, so I can only list the ones I have actually (unfortunately thru no fault of my own) seen. The most over-hyped and over-rated movies of all time, in my opinion:

The Titanic - Silly love story and unromantic.

Star Wars - Especially the last one. I prefer Blade Runner.

Terminator - All of them.

The Matrix - Suppose to cause you to think. Sorry, but I already do.

Thelma and Louise - And the point is...?

Sideways - Supposed to be a comedy. But wasn't funny. Every dialogue was awkward and pointless.

The Secret - Ok, this is only on DVD. But there was a time when I'd bump into people at the store and the minute they started talking, they'd say, "Youve GOT to watch the Secret." (Very similar to how people went nuts over Avatar, btw) So, I finally watched it online and couldn't believe they were calling this "secret": "Go after what you want and focus on getting it." That's the message. Thank you, we have all heard of that.

I know there are more but my brain likes to delete them from my memory bank.
I'm not sure you can say The Terminator was over-hyped at all.. in fact, it was almost a B movie (low budget, independent when independent wasn't' a good thing). Of course, this also very subjective... so. But I still find it one of the most original stories. The sequels on the other hand... I can't argue it. Although that's part of marketing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies