U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 AM

426 posts, read 773,317 times
Default queue

I have Blockbuster and I don't like it. I would have Netflix but my computer sound is awful, so I can't watch on it. I have about 20 in my queue. I am not happy with Blockbusters service either, it is to slow and they don't have as many choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 04:32 AM

1,747 posts, read 1,542,785 times
I have 28 in the queue and it's a pretty even mix of television, drama, and comedy.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 AM

7,285 posts, read 7,411,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I haven't had that problem yet. Did you have movies in your top 10 that were highly popular or new releases? I like older movies so I'm hoping it won't be a problem for me.
Yeah new releases. I figured it would happen with some new releases but it happened 100% of the time. I guess after 12 months they started "throttling" me. I use to watch the movies and dump them in the mail the same day. My turn around rate was probably higher than they liked. They probably thought I was copying the movies or something. I switched over to blockbuster and never had the problem. Eventually though I got rid of blockbuster as well and now get all my movies from torrents

Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,137,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Yeah new releases. I figured it would happen with some new releases but it happened 100% of the time. I guess after 12 months they started "throttling" me. I use to watch the movies and dump them in the mail the same day. My turn around rate was probably higher than they liked. They probably thought I was copying the movies or something. I switched over to blockbuster and never had the problem. Eventually though I got rid of blockbuster as well and now get all my movies from torrents

I have had Netflix for 3 years and only once did I not get a DVD that was top in my queue and that is because it was a new release on it's first day available.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM

7,285 posts, read 7,411,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I have had Netflix for 3 years and only once did I not get a DVD that was top in my queue and that is because it was a new release on it's first day available.
I guess you are lucky or I am unlucky. Maybe they changed their service for the better. This was a few years ago when i had netflix. Maybe it was the location i lived in. Maybe it was because they were almost all new releases. I guess I will never know

Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

5,740 posts, read 6,137,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I guess you are lucky or I am unlucky. Maybe they changed their service for the better. This was a few years ago when i had netflix. Maybe it was the location i lived in. Maybe it was because they were almost all new releases. I guess I will never know

I bet there service has improved a lot since you had it. They have grown a lot through the years.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:33 PM

18,820 posts, read 8,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
How many movies do you currently have in your Netflix queue and what type of movies dominate your queue?

I've got about 150 movies in my queue and foreign movies dominate my queue.
I have about a hundred and at least half are foreign. I don't get to view the foreign films as often as I'd like because of other family members that whine about it. Very often I let it get sent and the wind up really liking the film. When a film is good, you actually forget that you are reading subtitles. I'd rather have subtitled than dubbed any day. Foreign films have been so much better than American films...IMO.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 PM

5,512 posts, read 7,347,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I have about a hundred and at least half are foreign. I don't get to view the foreign films as often as I'd like because of other family members that whine about it. Very often I let it get sent and the wind up really liking the film. When a film is good, you actually forget that you are reading subtitles. I'd rather have subtitled than dubbed any day. Foreign films have been so much better than American films...IMO.
I agree. I love foreign movies! I could never watch a dubbed movie. Subtitles are definitely the way to go and I also forget I'm reading while I'm watching it. I'd love it if somehow I picked up some of the languages just by watching so many of them. My favorite are French and German films but I've also watched a lot of Spanish and British movies. I've seem some pretty good Swedish movies as well. I typically return my movies after having them a few days so I don't think i'll have the throttling problem. The new releases in my queue are few and spread out. I also live in a big city so there is probably a distribution center near me.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:47 AM

14,019 posts, read 6,985,508 times
Around 170.

Most are multiple disks for TV series - Life on Mars (the original BBC version), My So-Called Life, Eleventh Hour (also the original BBC version with Patrick Stewart), Man from U.N.C.L.E., Supernatural...

The rest are mostly independent or classic movies and new releases that weren't worth paying to see in the theater.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 PM

426 posts, read 773,317 times
Default Blockbuster

I am about fed up with Blockbuster. I have the three at a time plan andI called and complained about them being so slow. They are averaging three days or more to get movies back, and that is with taking them back to the store.Rep told me they only send them out Monday thru Friday, and only part of the day on Monday. WTF!!!!!.
The only good thing is instead of only getting five in store returns a month, they were doing unlimited store returns until March. I guess that is why they have slowed it up sending them out. I am ready to cancel, will keep until the weather warms up, besides they are planning to close a bunch more of the Blockbusters. I am sure ours will go as it is very small.
I will use Redbox when I want to see something after I cancel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies