U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 PM

13,892 posts, read 9,535,441 times
Default What movie has brought you to genuine sobs?

I don't get super emotional in movies as a rule, but when I saw the ending of "Empire of the Sun," I bawled like a baby. I mean I was seriously distraught! It was really a good thing that I was watching it at home on DVD, because if I'd been in a theater, I'd have embarrassed myself to death. I think maybe it's kind of a mom thing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:22 PM

18,820 posts, read 8,291,093 times
Gorilla's In the Mist

A classic old film that is famous for being a tear jerker is "Immitation of Life". Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it always made my mom and her friends cry.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Gorilla's In the Mist

A classic old film that is famous for being a tear jerker is "Immitation of Life". Haven't seen it since I was a kid, but it always made my mom and her friends cry.
You know, I never saw that, but I bet I'd love it. Knowing how much I love animals, though, I bet I'd go through a whole box of Kleenex.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:53 PM

22,341 posts, read 17,198,696 times
When I used to travel a lot for work I had a rule. Never watch a movie in an airplane if Meryl Streep is in it. Read a book, instead. Too many people. Too well lit. Don't want them to see me sobbing like a fool.

In no special order:

Gallipoli
Testament
Bambi
Out of Africa
Anything related to Sept. 11
Anything related to the holocaust
Anything with animals and little kids where one of them dies

Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 PM

49,291 posts, read 45,833,123 times
if you must ask never ending story, the rock bitter sitting on the shore lamenting the loss of his friends.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 PM

4,642 posts, read 7,150,238 times
I don't cry in movies but there was a few that I wanted to. There was a TV movie called "Flight 93" which I found more emotional than the more popular United 93 movie, I did want to cry in that one.

Also "Cars". Despite being a Pixar/Disney film it is very deep and sends some good messages. IT was sad to see that Radiator Springs was bypassed just to save 10 minutes of driving like they said in the movie. Actually I think they are speaking on a deeper level about how our society is all about speed, making money, etc and how much we have lost as a country since the good ol' days. It makes me nostalgic for a time before I was born, like some country music songs make me feel that way too. Cars really does make us question who we are as a nation these days and our mentality. I do wish that time could stop, the more our world "changes" the worse it gets.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:05 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,008,076 times
The part in Steel Magnolias when
Spoiler
Shelby dies.

In Dances With Wolves when Wind in His Hair is on top of the hill and says "Dances With Wolves. I am Wind In His Hair. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"

The Color Purple at the end when Celie sees Adam and Olivia and Adam says "mamaaa mamaaa." I don't know why but that gets me all the time.

I'm such a chick flick kinda girl.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbytabby View Post
In Dances With Wolves when Wind in His Hair is on top of the hill and says "Dances With Wolves. I am Wind In His Hair. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"
Dances with Wolves is my all-time favorite movie. I thought that scene was touching, but I didn't even come close to bawling in it.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:10 PM

5,148 posts, read 1,689,022 times
102 Minutes That Changed America
Marley and Me
The Family Man
Rocky
Save the Last Dance (it sucked so bad)

Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 PM

108 posts, read 169,457 times
"Boy in the Striped Pajamas" - kept turning this movie on and off could not bear to watch what I would not let myself believe was coming next, watched it anyway

"My Sister's Keeper" - awful scenario on so many levels

gracie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies