Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,577,453 times

Advertisements

What, What?.....Is the Oscar Meyer brand on sale someplace?

That's how much I care about "Phonihood".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,165,272 times
I didn't watch it. The only part I would liked to have seen was the list of people who passed away in the last year. All the overwrought thank-yous to people I never heard of are too much for me to take.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,772,090 times
It's not the same as the old days of movie stars. Today's "stars" are one shot wonders. If you didn't see the movie you will have never heard of half of them and next year they will be in a Lifetime movie (or disappear alltogeteher).

Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,226,097 times
I was glad to see Sandra Bullock win the actress award. I don't understand why critics give her such a hard time. And glad to see Mo'Nique win the supporting actress.

But the Best Director was the best part for me. To see Barbra S* give the award to a director of a film about the US military and then have to applaud with the audience as the winner thanked the military was priceless. And then to pile on, the same film won best picture and Ms. Bigelow got to make the thanks again.

Aside from that, the film industry plays an important part in the development of technology and the demand for that technology in the U.S. Just a quick for instance the film Avatar comes out then suddenly ESPN is going to start broadcasting in 3D. Did anyone really care before Avatar? Take for instance films about history. british history. For some, film is the closest an american kid get to exposure to the history of the world.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM

7,109 posts, read 12,645,120 times
Watched every second of it...guess I'm sentimental, but I find it touching...all that raw emotion and Cinderella stories coming true for some of the winners...and the fashion is wonderful, too. Like your senior prom times ten.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:52 PM

23,576 posts, read 70,312,077 times
This year was the budget version. The set backdrop was lampshades from Goodwill or something, and the street dancing to accompany the songs was like being back in 1962 and being forced to watch the cast of West Side Story interpret every musical ever made. Honestly, it was the cheapest, worst jokes, and most tedious event in years.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,288 times
The Oscars has lost its magic, because screen sirens have lost theirs. No longer are we enamored of them because we are bombarded with sordid details of their private lives or scandalous conduct that leaves nothing to the imagination. We are overloaded with tabloids and celebrity news whether at the cashier line or watching TV, or their reality show, and can scarcely get away from them if we are a member of society.

There is no mystique in either male or female actors. Movies? The films resort to violence in order to create drama and excitement.

Those are MY reasons for not caring to watch.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:02 AM

540 posts, read 1,328,822 times
I love movies. I watch the Academy Awards and all it's glitter.

My favorite movie was Julie and Julia and Meryl Streep a favorite actress. No violence or tabloids there.

Sure, there are always a few one hit wonders, even in the old days, but there are plenty of veteran actors. Some have been around for decades.

There was a wide variety of movies nominated. Something for everyone.

And Congratulations to Best Actor Jeff Bridges, that one hit wonder who always has some scandal exposed in the tabloids.

It has been proven over and over that sweeping generalizations are just dumb, yet people continue to make them. Weird

Old 03-08-2010, 02:52 AM

37,119 posts, read 42,171,392 times
I went to my first Oscar Party tonight and had a blast. I thought the show was well done and many of the winners gave nice speeches. There was one really weird moment when a very pushy Elinor Burkett busted in on Roger Ross Williams acceptance speech but mostly it was pretty classy.

I liked the Steve Martin/Alec Baldwin combo and the opening number by Neil Patrick Harris too.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 44,997,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
I love movies. I watch the Academy Awards and all it's glitter.

My favorite movie was Julie and Julia and Meryl Streep a favorite actress. No violence or tabloids there.

Sure, there are always a few one hit wonders, even in the old days, but there are plenty of veteran actors. Some have been around for decades.

There was a wide variety of movies nominated. Something for everyone.

And Congratulations to Best Actor Jeff Bridges, that one hit wonder who always has some scandal exposed in the tabloids.

It has been proven over and over that sweeping generalizations are just dumb, yet people continue to make them. Weird
LOL!!!
I managed to watch up through Mo'Nique. Then I clicked off.
I liked Neil Patrick Harris, too, and was gratified to see Christoph Waltz be handed a much-deserved Oscar.
But I couldn't stay awake long enough to see Bridges win. I am a long-time fan, but I knew it would take forever to get to Best Actor.
I actually thought the Oscars were fancier this year than last.
Still bloated as ever, but it does entertain me for awhile, especially the red carpet stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies