U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2010, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 21,279 times
Default Zeljko Ivanek Illness

The actor Zeljko Ivanek seems to have some kind of serious health issue. It is evident in his short winded & breathless speech, his loss of weight, his prominence of bone ridges in his appearance and other increasing signs of a serious illness. These are not normal signs of aging. He is in fact my age. But he does have some kind of serious health issue which you can hear as he struggles with long-winded speeches and is clearly breathless and in distress.

I know others have noticed this as well because as I started searching the internet for information on his health, other lists have suggested they believe he appears to have the physical signs of someone suffering from cancer or aids. Those were the exact observations I have made as well.

Of the suggestions I've seen on other sites, we can rule out asthma or Emphysema since the medications and reduced activity levels typically cause weight gain rather than weight loss.

One mentioned pancreatic cancer and while the symptoms would fit (my spouse died from it) it is a very rapid disease and usually limited to 2-3 months after diagnosis on the average, but at the very longest with a special surgery would be 1.3-3 years. They literally starve to death and lose weight on a massive scale rapidly... so I don't think he has that either.

My best guess would be a lung cancer since he clearly has some kind of respiratory issue with the weight loss. Those can be survivable depending on the type and situation... but he could indeed be undergoing some kind of chemo or other treatments for some kind of serious medical problem. A lot of actors don't mention their health problems and if they are not a high profile actor, then the reporters are not as likely to know about it.

You can hear it in his role on the HBO miniseries John Adams and his weight loss seems to be increasing.

But if anyone knows what his health issues are, I would be interested to know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 PM

22,032 posts, read 16,871,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgeC View Post
The actor Zeljko Ivanek seems to have some kind of serious health issue. It is evident in his short winded & breathless speech, his loss of weight, his prominence of bone ridges in his appearance and other increasing signs of a serious illness. These are not normal signs of aging. He is in fact my age. But he does have some kind of serious health issue which you can hear as he struggles with long-winded speeches and is clearly breathless and in distress.

I know others have noticed this as well because as I started searching the internet for information on his health, other lists have suggested they believe he appears to have the physical signs of someone suffering from cancer or aids. Those were the exact observations I have made as well.

Of the suggestions I've seen on other sites, we can rule out asthma or Emphysema since the medications and reduced activity levels typically cause weight gain rather than weight loss.

One mentioned pancreatic cancer and while the symptoms would fit (my spouse died from it) it is a very rapid disease and usually limited to 2-3 months after diagnosis on the average, but at the very longest with a special surgery would be 1.3-3 years. They literally starve to death and lose weight on a massive scale rapidly... so I don't think he has that either.

My best guess would be a lung cancer since he clearly has some kind of respiratory issue with the weight loss. Those can be survivable depending on the type and situation... but he could indeed be undergoing some kind of chemo or other treatments for some kind of serious medical problem. A lot of actors don't mention their health problems and if they are not a high profile actor, then the reporters are not as likely to know about it.

You can hear it in his role on the HBO miniseries John Adams and his weight loss seems to be increasing.

But if anyone knows what his health issues are, I would be interested to know.
I thought I saw his name attached to an NBC TV pilot this year - The Event. I liked his guest appearance on True Blood and when I read he was going to be in this pilot as part of the regular cast, I thought, "Dang! He'll never be back on True Blood."

Old 04-08-2010, 04:41 PM

2 posts, read 21,279 times
I'd be interested in seeing him in something recent to see if his health looks and sounds better than he did on "The Founding of America" series he was in. I know I wasn't the only one who noticed how poorly he was doing (healthwise) on that series. Several people were asking the same questions. It could have just been a respiratory infection... but I could judge better by seeing him in something recent. I know actors try to hide illness because it is difficult to get hired as an actor if they aren't healthy.

But, then again, the actors might be in better health if the studio's weren't working them such long hours in unpleasant conditions. Just remember what happened to all of those actors Howard Hughes dragged out into the desert downwind from the atomic tests in the 50's to film movies who nearly all ended up with cancer? Many died young. John Wayne lost a lung. It is terrible what actors have to endure ... and the sad part is most of the suffering these directors put them through is unnecessary.

So who knows what Ivanek might have been subjected to when he was doing that series.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,048 times
I just watched Seven Psychopaths and the first things I thought when I saw him was, "Oh my God, does he have cancer??" Seven Psychopaths was released in 2013 so it's probably his most recent work.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:41 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,414,547 times
I thought he's looked that way for the last 10 years. Normally, I like gossip like the next person, but I don't care what he has or doesn't have. I think he's fabulous and horribly underrated. If he does have something, I hope he beats it. But, it's none of my business.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 PM

No, I completely agree anadyr 21. However he looks, he is a great actor. Loved him in Oz, and though he only had a small role in Seven Psychopaths, he definitely stood out.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:36 PM

No, I completely agree anadyr21. I think he's a great actor. I loved him in Oz, and tho he only had a small role in Seven Psychopaths, he definitely stood out. I only remarked on his possible illness bc I do love his work and hope he's around awhile to do more.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,377,843 times
He was great as the DA in Homicide:Life on the Street too. Melissa Leo was his love interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies